Track Bike

A'Busa'd

Donating Member
Registered
I want to start doing some track days, but don't want to do it with the Busa (I'm afraid I'll wreck it!). I want to find a good track bike that would be good for a beginner. I'm not a big guy (5'9", 150 lbs), so a 600 class would be plenty for me.

A friend suggested a Suzuki SV650. Looks like you can find them relatively inexpensive on the used market, but I've never ridden one and have no idea of how it would be on the track.

It would be great to hear from someone who has ridden the SV650. I'm looking for other suggestions as well. My only requirements are that the bike must be available on the used market and must have fuel injection.

I did a local track day with the BUSA first to see if I would like it. Well....I LUVED IT
biggrin.gif
. I liked it so much that I found a 99 Gixxer 600 track bike cheap.I can't wait until next season to get out there. I hope that I am note dissapointed with the lil 600. The BUSA was a blast at the track. I took it easy for the most part. Turned it up a lil but nuthin like I could ride. I am the same as you. The last thing I wanted to do was send the BUSA down the track on it's side. I am hoping that the 600 will make up for it through the turns.The BUSA coming out of turn and blitzing the straights like no other. I would suggest trying it with the BUSA. Just take it easy. If it is something you think you will enjoy more ,then find something for the track. I would love to find a BUSA cheap and make it a track bike. The low end torque and grunt that the BUSA make is just
wow.gif
. You will also need leathers. I started with just getting a good set of pants with my coat. Now I have a full suit. Good luck with with your choice.
beerchug.gif

DSC_5161.JPG

Goin from that to this. I just got it and pland on changin the number and cleanin the look up a lil. It runs good tho.

gixxer_600.jpg

1badasbusa,

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I was signed up for a track school in December, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought it was a bad idea for me. Just couldn't get comfortable with the thought of possibly maiming my beloved Busa.

I'm all set with the leathers. Joe Rocket all the way! Jacket, pants, boots and gloves. Nice stuff. I bought them in anticiaption of going to the track in December.

Goin from that to this. I just got it and pland on changin the number and cleanin the look up a lil. It runs good tho.
Nice purchase.  I recently read an article in Motorcyclist that said that the used GSX-R600's from 1998 up were the best.
Cool  
cool.gif
  It's still not my BUSA. If you have never did a track day before. They will start you in the beginner class were you will not be getting out of hand to trash your babi. It's only when you get into the novice or advance class were you will get movin to get out of control. It is set up to give you a taste of the track to see if it is something you will like. Plus to get used to the track so you don't go balls out and don't really know the track. Give it a shot you will love it. Check this out. My write up.

<!--EDIT|1badasbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1131322481 -->

A'Busa'd,I do insurance auctions online Nationwide and could probably help you find a decent bike to make a track bike,,if you like send me a email addy and what your looking for and to spend and i will see what i can find.

<!--EDIT|GoldenChild
Reason for Edit: None given...|1131329518 -->

A'Busa'd,I do insurance auctions online Nationwide and could probably help you find a decent bike to make a track bike,,if you like send me a email addy and what your looking for and to spend and i will see what i can find.
Hey Daniel, Thanks. We already spoke about that. You should have it. I think that I am going to give the lil Gixxer a run. Unless you find a damn good deal that I can't pass up. Then Halla. I'll pm u my addy.

I had a sv650s for awhile there.. was gonna use it as a track bike... it's a great bike.. and very quick... The top end speed is about 130ish.. but it really doesn't matter much.. the high speed stuff isn't that important (to me) at a track day.. just flyin thru the turns is the thing... I can't remember anything much about going down the straights... it's the curves where ya pee yourself a little hehehe.

sv is a good choice though... but when If I get another track bike it'll be a gsxr600, or 750.. probably the 750.

SV's are fantastic beginner race bikes. They'll carry you as far as you want to go and cost less to run on consumeables. I strongly recommend a good used SV race bike. You'll learn more and likely be able to stick with it for longer.

I also recommend an SV. Earlier models with tubular frames were recommended to me by a local mechanic. I bought a 2001 650s. I put a few mods here and there (including Gold Valve kit for the front forks) and keep it pretty much street ridable when I am not riding it on the track. It tears the track up with a set of Qualifiers on it! I just started riding Thunderhill Raceway earlier this year. Started out on a 1998 Ninja ZX11. Sold it, bought an SV and never looked back. I'm addicted and now turning 2.17 lap times on it. I'm stoked!!

another vote for either a SV or older 600. Don't go bigger until you try one of those. They can be found dirt cheap too. good luck
beerchug.gif

I think he may already have a bike by now. You are doing a fine job reading OLD threads.

post-52-02136-welcome.gif

(bquinn @ Jul. 09 2007,12:34) another vote for either a SV or older 600.  Don't go bigger until you try one of those.  They can be found dirt cheap too.  good luck  
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Back