to ride with or without leathers !

im an artist and i need my hands so i always wear kevlar gloves and either leather with extra padding or ballistic nylon with pads on the rest of me. its not crashing that hurts its waking up.

I do have to say motorcycles are a dangerous sport. I believe every rider needs to make good choices for him or herself. I have noticed myself that as I have gotten older I have been much more safety concious. I hope that some readers will make good choices for themselves because I do not want a law maker taking away my right to ride how I want or worse yet outlaw motorcycles as to dangerous all together. Some states have gone to far already to take our rights away. Personally I wear my jacket almost all of the time. There are a few 90-100 degree days that I may not and I have found myself wearing a helmet alot more too. When I think of my daughter having to go through life without me and just her jobless worthless piece of crap mother as an influence, it makes me realize how important some of this gear is.

After reviewing that site I am for sure going to invest in some better gear. I am guilty of cruising about in a T and jeans. So i am definetly reconsidering now. I am stubborn as hell and have that "I am safe and it wont happen to me" theory, I hav e to work on changing.

Good for you K5, change is always tuff as we all get set in ways, but we're all worth the extra effort of that change. :) Especially YOU, you cutie-patootie!!!

Revlis....thanks for the gear list earlier in this thread...I just spent $800 on some gear today. Lots of year-end close outs. VaBusa's crash and that dude's website with the skin grafts gave me the willys.... I already had a good Shoei helmet and some mediocre gloves.

I now have a beautiful (and colorful!) Vanson Leather Jacket
with full armor.....yikes over $600 for jacket and armor. Well worth it. Was kind of cool in Chicago today while riding...didn't feel a thing as the leather kept me nice and cozy and I feel much more protected. No parachute effect either...my old flimsy Nautica jacket was like wearing a f**king parachute once I got above 60 mph. It also turned a lot of heads with the yellow, black and red colors. It definitely gets noticed on the roads.

also got a Joe Rocket Phoenix for those blistering hot days next summer....lots of armor....but that mesh, although better than a t-shirt, will not save me much. $105

A great pair of Held Gloves...leather, kevlar and carbon-aramid knuckles and fingers...reinforced leather throughout...
yikes again $99.00.

Spent a little money on some scotchlite reflective material to light me up during the night....the stuff attaches to your helmet easily.

Next up....some pants and good boots (I have some good columbia hiking boots that go over the ankle.
You are so right about good gloves...often our hands take the initial brunt of a fall and they are so delicate.

Again thanks to you all for sharing your input.

I need to do the same. I have good helmet, decent gloves. Ride in my combat boots. With the new busa, I plan on getting some better gear before touching pipes & other mods etc.

I first read this post while at work on my lunch break(yeah, right!) and later reread it while at home so I could absorb it some more before adding my .02 cents worth. I'm a noobie here on the board, but not to the sport of motorcycling - I'm probably gonna' get some heat from my position. But with this being said, here I go...  
While looking at this post I couldn't help but notice that the first thing one sees is that guy riding wheelies down the STREET. Then, you get his story about the bad crash and the pic's. This guy admits to riding at midnight with only shorts and a t-shirt, etc. on and going 100 MPH AS WELL!!!
I'm sorry if I come off as insensitive but this can hardly be classified as an accident in my opinion. At that rate of speed, even in a full Hein Gericke, Shoei, etc,etc, he was bound to get goofed up. Then, as I read some of the replies from the message board of others posting about their crashes a common theme seemed to be FAST SPEED, STUNTS, SHOWING OFF, DRINKING, and plain just NOT PAYING ATTENTION. I sympathize with those who are victims, like that post where the 18yr old hit the group of bikers, but find it hard to feel sorry for someone who "turns arround to look at some girls and rear-ends a car and looses 2 fingers. I rode my Busa to work today and although I rode responsibly(within 5 - 10 mph of the posted speed limit, with one exception), I can't say the same about some others. While riding home after the end of my shift, I came to a 4 way stop, there was a younger guy on a CBR 600 that had the right of way. He went first then it was my turn and I turned in his direction. About 100yds from the intersection, in traffic, this jackass decides that he wants to impress me(I guess?) and stands on the rear pegs of his bike, looks back then proceeds to do a wheelie at about 60 - 70 mph like some BIKERBOYZ retard until he gets right behind a car(ON ONE WHEEL) and sets it down. If that wasn't enough, then, he looks back at me and then passes at least 4 cars in a no passing zone speeding to what I would guess 110 - 120 mph in a 55mph zone before letting off (I was doing 65 or so).
This guy was wearing a tank top, jeans, tennis shoes, and a helmet. Later, after that guy was gone, I was riding about 65 mph or so when this idiot in his new SUV starts riding up on me(the speed limit was 55 mph). I then had an open stretch of road and opened it up to about 80 mph to put some distance between me and him, which I did, and he then comes flying back up on me again. I then slowed to the posted 55 mph and waived for the fool to go arround which he did and the idiot waives at me and smiles like I was being polite or something . I wanted to crack his head for him!!!
With all this being said, if those of us who ride don't use a little common sense, all the safety gear in the world won't save us from OURSELVES, let alone those like that guy in the SUV, or the wanna' be wheelie king on the CBR. I do have leather pants and jacket but don't wear them often - unless I'm going out to run at my local dragstrip(Milan Dragway, Milan MI) and SOMETIMES I do ride on the street with shorts, short sleeved shirt, HELMET,etc but only in town or where the posted speed is 55mph or below but the main thing is I control my urges to crank the Busa up on the street especially when not being properly attired - leathers, boots, gloves, etc..
I can wait until a Wednesday or Friday night, get geared up right and pay my money to the folks at the dragstrip and run as much as I care to and then act like I got some sense when I get back out on the street. I had a guy tell me that there is a road race track not too far from me (Grand Rapids - Gratten Raceway?) that has open track days where you can get some time in after passing tech insp., having the proper safety gear, and paying the entry fee. Although I think wearing all of the safety gear is good, I think wearing it also gives some the feeling that they can clown arround or ride harder(like in Blas32's post) and, I think it's not IDEAL but ok if someone wants to ride with a LITTLE less on -  like jeans and t-shirt, or shorts , etc as long as they're not out on the e-way or stunting, etc.Everyone should want to wear a decent helmet though to protect their gourds but even that should be a personal choice. Anyway, with all that being said I think a little COMMON sense and alot of self control is as or more important than just the wearing of all safety equipment.

Pit Bull
very well spoken!

:beerchug:

IMAGE2_pants_arm2.jpg

VA fell over in her gravel driveway soon after bringing her bike home NO Harm to her, a few scratches on her Busa.

The Bohn Pants above are also available at Kneedraggers.com

Sorry folks....got confused.....perhaps it was busachick that had the crash that gave me the willys along with the guy who posted his skin grafts on the web.,

Revlis....thanks for the gear list earlier in this thread...I just spent $800 on some gear today. Lots of year-end close outs.  VaBusa's crash and that dude's website with the skin grafts gave me the willys....  I already had a good Shoei helmet and some mediocre gloves.

I now have a beautiful (and colorful!) Vanson Leather Jacket
with full armor.....yikes over $600 for jacket and armor.  Well worth it.  Was kind of cool in Chicago today while riding...didn't feel a thing as the leather kept me nice and cozy and I feel much more protected.  No parachute effect either...my old flimsy Nautica jacket was like wearing a f**king parachute once I got above 60 mph.  It also turned a lot of heads with the yellow, black and red colors. It definitely gets noticed on the roads.

also got a Joe Rocket Phoenix for those blistering hot days next summer....lots of armor....but that mesh, although better than a t-shirt, will not save me much. $105

A great pair of Held Gloves...leather, kevlar and carbon-aramid knuckles and fingers...reinforced leather throughout...
yikes again $99.00.

Spent a little money on some scotchlite reflective material to light me up during the night....the stuff attaches to your helmet easily.

Next up....some pants and good boots (I have some good columbia hiking boots that go over the ankle.
You are so right about good gloves...often our hands take the initial brunt of a fall and they are so delicate.

Again thanks to you all for sharing your input.
Yeah Bro, BusaChick's accident was real spooky. Glad to hear you are now properly geared up. Now I have to sit around and wait till I get a Vanson of my own...Ah so much to buy, so little money.
Hey and don't forget to check Newenough.com when it comes time for the pants and boots.
Hope your new gear never has to do it's job bro...

I've been checking out newenough.com guys...lots of good stuff on there, and great prices...unfortunately, they're out of some of the things I want, but I'll keep checking back...

Thanks for that info Rev...

And thanks for clearing up that I haven't crashed (at high speeds...just in my driveway) :D I was beginning to think I was in a parallel universe, or worse - BLONDE! Did I crash and didn't realize it yet?! These are the questions in life that plague me... :tounge:

Where'd busachick go off to? Anyone know? I emailed her a few times, and talked a bit, but she's not been back, right? Hope she's mending well...and getting her new Busa in October I think...

VaBusa....sorry. It was my mistake.
We have LoBusa, busachick, so many women!!!

Yes Rev cleared it up.

Should have checked that it was busachick before I freak out all the folks that have become quite fond of you over the last few weeks (myself included).

Ride safe

VaBusa....sorry.  It was my mistake.  
We have LoBusa, busachick, so many women!!!

Yes Rev cleared it up.

Should have checked that it was busachick before I freak out all the folks that have become quite fond of you over the last few weeks (myself included).

Ride safe
No worries babuski...and absolutely no reason to apologize...

I was worried something had happened to me that I didn't know about! :D

Thanks for the warm welcome though! :cool:

Back