To ninja...

LA Busa

Top 5 Femme Moto Finisher
Donating Member
Registered
Look, the wife loves the whole motorcycling scene, we had a ball at the Bash, she loves to 2-up on the Wing and the Busa but I have been 'on her' about taking a more active role and she is about to move on it.
In essence, I want her to start riding!

Long story short here, is the Ninja 250 a decent starter bike for a chick that has NEVER ridden a motorcycle in her life?
She fits on it pretty well.
Should be low enough in power to be manageable.
But is it so weak that in a year it'll be too dinky?

A local dealership just got one in (its the only one within 200 miles of us) and wants MSRP ($2,999.00) for it.

Others we have looked at:
Buell Blast (too ugly)
Suzuki S40 (over priced, she wants a CR)
Busa (no, not really)

Your thoughts would be Golden!

To be honest the Buell Blast is a GREAT bike to learn on, and has lot's of decent low end torque (relatively) for the inexperienced rider to get used to riding with. That's what they use in training classes around here, and they take lots of spills without complaint. I'd be willing to bet that she will very quickly get bored with the 250. People always knock the Katana, but the 600 is a great starter bike, if she can handle the weight, but in contrast with the Buells, plastics are expensive to replace.

if shes tall enough, then go for little bit bigger bike, get bored in no time, I think...

A few points:

* MSF - she can learn at an MSF course. Cheaper and Safer. (ask around for an MSF with a good instructor)
* Light-Weight - she has to be able to pick it up herself and it is easier to learn on a light bike
* Low cc - 250 is a LOT imo. Does she ride a bicycle? I would start there...
* Low torque - you do not want to accidentally pop wheelies
* Buy used - the bike will be dropped and even crashed - buy a cheap used 125/250 cc naked bike
* Cruiser - consider a cheap cruiser (250cc) to learn on. Most MSF schools use such bikes.
* Gear - spend more on the gear than on the bike in this situation.

To be honest the Buell Blast is a GREAT bike to learn on, and has lot's of decent low end torque (relatively) for the inexperienced rider to get used to riding with.  That's what they use in training classes around here, and they take lots of spills without complaint.  I'd be willing to bet that she will very quickly get bored with the 250.  People always knock the Katana, but the 600 is a great starter bike, if she can handle the weight, but in contrast with the Buells, plastics are expensive to replace.
You know I have to +1 on the Buell!  Great bike for starters and once YOU ride it, you will want to continue.  I love it and so does she.  Super easy to maintain too. Who cares if it's ugly. A pretty bike with a new rider...well...

<!--EDIT|TXBusa05LE
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149340243 -->

DSC00039.JPG

A few points:

* MSF - she can learn at an MSF course. Cheaper and Safer. (ask around for an MSF with a good instructor)
* Light-Weight - she has to be able to pick it up herself and it is easier to learn on a light bike
* Buy used - the bike will be dropped and even crashed - buy a cheap used 125/250 cc naked bike
* Cruiser - consider a cheap cruiser (250cc) to learn on. Most MSF schools use such bikes.
I could't agree more. In fact aside from geeting all the gear the gear, i wouldn't worry about the what bike yet. Start at the msf course and then go from there. See if she REALLY wants to ride her own. Big difference in riding as a passenger and riding yourself. After taking the msf course and actually riding a bike herself, she will know. Just my .02

<!--EDIT|mofuggahere
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149343471 -->

I would think a 250 would get boring on the 2nd day for both of you, her riding and you waiting on her. One Busa burst and she'll easily be no longer content. But that is just my humble opinion and I'm not one to start things off slowly.

Bikes only go as fast you twist the throtle. I'd get a midrange with some decent power and go from there.

msf then go shopping. make sure she is going to like it before you spend the $$$$

if she really wants to start risding she'll out grow the 250 VERY FAST! I have a friend that had 1. NOW it was good for her to learn on, but about 2 months into it (she rode alot) she had WAY out grown it. she has a new Gixxr 750 now. much better. But the other side of the coin is with out the 250 she's have had trouble with the 750 learning that is. best thing would be like an SV650 or the like IMHO.

<ul>
[*]MSF
[*]License
[*]Gear
[*]Suzuki SV650 (used)
[/list]

<!--EDIT|newmill
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149356048 -->

I think the 250 would get old rather quickly. The light weight of the bike is great, but it will probably leave her wanting more. Definitely try the MSF course. A great way to learn at the least the fundamentals. After that my choice would be for a Suzuki Katana 600. A very comfortable bike with enough power to keep her going.

Also, if she takes to it like a duck to water don't forget Kawasaki's new 650R, very cool, real BIKE sized, and fun to ride.

I also agree with a used 250, there are a lot fo them out there, buy it used and save a bundle, let her ride that for a few months, then get her something sweet next spring.

Save alot of potential heartbreak that way.

A few points:

MFS- Check, found a Harley Dealer that does it for a tick less than 200.00. It's a 4 day course.

Light weight and low cc - Check.

I can ride a bicycle and I can do a wheelie
wink.gif

Gear - Check. I have leather pants, Jacket, leather/mesh Jacket, gloves, helmet and boots that will work for now.

We have found a motorcycle that I think will work for me. I'm not looking to do any kind of stunt riding...LOL.

Will post a pic when its parked at the casa!! (probably in a week)

Thanks for all the advise and Happy Ridding
biggrin.gif

I can't understand why so many people here think a new rider is going to be bored with a 250 on the second day. Pass what you're smoking, please.
rock.gif
New riders, especially those who have little urge to go "real damn fast", don't need anything more than a 250. In fact you'll find that person might not even wind the bike all the way up for several MONTHS. Some people take to riding quickly, others do not, and it can be a long time at low speeds before they have confidence in themselves and the machine to start pushing their limits.

When I was at Deals Gap, my Ninja could be going too fast for the corners IN FIRST GEAR.

I agree with Revlis, buy a used Ninja 250, (take the fairings off if they look good, then you won't trash them), and when she's ready for a new bike, sell the Ninja for about what you paid for it. If she decides its not for her, sell it. No harm, no foul.

I kind of expected this range of responses and THANKS a million for all of you giving input, I have learned a ton from this board and plan to continue doing so.

The wife is short little lady and most of the sport bike breeds are pretty tall (and she dont want a cruiser), I know, they can be lowered but even the EX250 (Ninja) is gonna have to come down a tick so small is probably genius here...

We looked at one today, very small dealership has had it on order for quite a while and called me when it came in Wednesday, when we got there today it was fresh outta the crate and not fully assembled. Friggin bike is really pretty, its about the same color as the cranberry part of the '06 Busa with tribal flames in a slightly darker maroon tone running across the bottom of the fairing, the rest of the bike (frame and suspension) is black, really, really nice scheme.
It 'moved' us and I gave the dealer a check to hold it whilst we contemplated.

The ONE thing I like about these little bikes is that they sell and hold more of their value than some seem to, at least around here they do. There are none in any local dealerships and when one hits the classifieds that sucker is gone quicker than a pack of D-cells after a hurricane.
Another point is that they are cheap - $3.1K OTD.

Like many of you said, if she dont like it, sell the sucker for close to what we paid and move on - spot on and taken advice there!

If she does, practice, practice, practice and ride with us up at the Fall Bash a little and when she gets cocky we can get her a real bike!

I am thinking another member might be able to hook me up with something different, if he can we will move on it, if not, we might pull the trigger on the baby Ninja later this week....

Again, thanks for all the input and support gang, this place rocks!

Oh and BTW on the gear suggestions; she has more leather than Rob Halford, shes good in that department, she just needs to learn how to ride
race.gif

Just as a word of advice, if you do get the Ninja, you break it in for her. The Ninjette motors tend to burn oil when they're babied from the showroom. Doesn't need to be much, just the first 20-30 miles to get it set in right.

If you need any help on maintenance PM me.

My wife is in the same mindset as yours YH2K. We are considering a GS550F. She likes the way it looks, it has plenty of "UMPH" for a new rider to keep them from getting bored and it has that "sport" bike look that apeals to her. I tried to get her interested in a C50, but she says if she is going to ride with me, she wants a sporty looking bike.

Don

Just as a word of advice, if you do get the Ninja, you break it in for her.  The Ninjette motors tend to burn oil when they're babied from the showroom.  Doesn't need to be much, just the first 20-30 miles to get it set in right.

If you need any help on maintenance PM me.
Will do man!

Thanks!

Back