To Be, or not to Be

Shmoo

Registered
I'm wanting to drop to a 16 tooth in the front.  Do I need to add a stronger chain from the stock one to compensate?  
How hard is it to change out?

good question considering I just got my 16tooth front sprocket in the mail today. I don't think with just that, that new chain is neccessary(sp?). I was told as long as the chain would adjust with the new sprocket, that it would be alright.

As far as doing the job, dunno. I will dig into mine on sunday. Let me know if you hear of any good pointers.
biggrin.gif

You don't need a stronger chain. Best for longer life is put a new chain with new sprokets. If you have few miles on the bike don't worry about it. As a matter of fact don't worry about it anyway, just think of it as wanting more miles out of the system.

You don't need a stronger chain.  Best for longer life is put a new chain with new sprokets.  If you have few miles on the bike don't worry about it.  As a matter of fact don't worry about it anyway, just think of it as wanting more miles out of the system.
Mike, can you tell me what is involved in replacing the front sprocket?

Yes. But I have not removed it myself, I have seen good mechs do it in 20 minutes.
Left plastic off,
move the radiator fluid bottle
Under the bottle resides the housing.
Loosen back wheel and chain
2 bolts (I think) on the sprocket.
Sprocket loosen and remove.

Some of the others can give more detail. I am afraid I have it done by others all the time. I think it would take me about 1 hour or more.

The key though is making sure that any of the 3 (chain front rear) show wear check them all.

I will report on Sunday, January 19, 2003.

my day off, and new front sprocket 16tooth is going on. then road test. then either report, or change of shorts.

biggrin.gif
i will report either way.

however, as cold as it has been, I don't prefer to just spin the rear tire when riding. know what i mean?? uh... bbl.

Back