Tires

afterhours

Registered
I am getting new tires for my dually, the tire saleman tells me I need 10 ply tires that are "load rated". I tried to convince him that I will not be towing anything with the truck, he says it does not matter because the truck is so big.

when I look at the "truck" forums I see guys claiming to use standard tires,even low profile tires....but I am not sure how reliable those guys would be.

anybody have a dually, with low profile tires?

What is load rating on the tire? A-E? I run load rated E's on mine and I dont tow anything either yet. They have to cover their backside in case you have an accident you cant come back to who installed the wrong rated tire on your truck. Its liability they dont want.

Compare it to towing something that is over the GVW of your vehicle, if you have an accident, you can be found at fault even if you didnt cause the accident simply because you were towing something over the rated load of your truck.

you need to run load rated tires because the truck is so heavy
if you dont the sidewalls on the tires flex too much especially on the dualls and they will rubb and screw up the tires. so ya the guy is right.

They are giving you good info. I have 4 with the construction company I work at and even if you don't tow anythin now whos to say you wont in the future. Do you ever fill up the bed? The load range is imortant to keep the side walls from flexing and blowing the bead under a load.

They are giving you good info. I have 4 with the construction company I work at and even if you don't tow anythin now whos to say you wont in the future. Do you ever fill up the bed? The load range is imortant to keep the side walls from flexing and blowing the bead under a load.

+1 Agree 110% :beerchug:

Here lies the problem, if they sell / install the tires, they are obligated to sell you tires rated for your vehicle otherwise they are legally liable if there is a blow out and or accident. If you want tires without these restrictions, you need to but them and have someone else install them on the side.

I've seen Duallys running aroud here with big rims and low profile tires. Doesnt mean it's right, but I've seen it.

Before I had the busa, my toy was a 2004 F-350 crew cab dually. For a while I had the 22.5 ten lugs on there. I loved that truck. Before and after I had those though, I ran regular tires. You will be fine running a D rated tire. Especially if you don't haul much. If you look at the load rating on them, there is usually only a 2-300 pound difference in a D rated and E rated tire. You are also much more restricted on tread patteren on an E rated tire. Just keep the tire pressure in a good range and you will be fine with a D rated tire.

Back