Tire tread life...cost vs performance

Thank you to all who have shared their info.

I would like to hear from AVON, Shinko, and more bridgestone users...

Anyone?

I am still on my stock BT56's and as far as I can tell they are a pretty decent tire, particularly at speed (very stable). But turn in is anything but effortless and in the rain they are poor. The worst is that when they are cold the SUCK! On the good side I have 2800 miles on them and they still look like they could go another 1000 miles easy. Strange how milage that people get varies so much. I am rather light so that helps I guess. I know when I ride two up I can actually see the rubber wearing off compared to solo.

However, I just received my new M1's so will mount them soon. I have heard nothing but good things. I just hope I don't loose the high speed stability. They look really cool and do have a similar profile to Pilots and/or HPX's (which I have liked on other bikes). I did not get the P spec as I do not intend to go 180 mph ever and Parts411 only had the standard version.

I have been happy with BT 12's looking at BT 14's Last set where Pirreli Diablo, which perform great. however the Dialblos are very bad for straight road longevity. I had the set in South Florida and got maybe 1500 miles on the rear. Just wears down the middle. If you have roads with twisties it gives you a chance to use the whole tire.

Going with the BT's next set because i have them. i will go with a hard center tire for South Florida next time. Down there you can't help having max chicken strips.

One last thing, I am a little skeptical of the HPX and the M1 "p" made specifically for the the busa.  
I have no facts to back my opinion up, but I get the feeling that they are a little harder and designed for longer runs at higher speeds.  I hear good things about them on the board but never from folks who have similar riding styles.  I find that most of the HPX comments come from folks in florida and texas that don't hit the twisties too much.  That is why I am going to give it a shot as a next tire, just as an experiment, to see what kind of a tire it really is.
I have thought that too, Michelin says the only difference is the extra belts in the tire to improve high speed stability. I like the HPX alot, just if something else is cheaper AND sticks better, then that is what I am going for cuz the extra treadwear is not that much. Talking a few hundred miles difference.

One option that I considered was going with the regular pilot sports, just to find out the difference. I bet that they would get better traction.

So I guess the diablos don't have that much tire life? Damn....I guess I have to look for another one.

I ran BT 010/020 combos for quite a while. I usually could get around 3K out of the rear 020 (180) and about 4500 out of the front 010. Pretty decent tires. They turn in well, stick pretty good, very predictable when they do slide/ spin and fairly cheap. I just switched over to the Pilot Road/Sport combo now. The first Road rear didn't even last 3K miles! It was a 180, so I'm trying a 190 this time. The front doesn't have any cupping at all yet. I did a bunch of suspension changes so that may be attributing to even worse tire life until I get the stuff sorted out.

As for Dunlops, just ran through a set that came with my R1. They're the new 218's. I've never liked the Dunlops either, but these weren't half bad, but after only 1500 miles the rear was pretty much wasted. Just threw on a set of M1's this weekend. Dropped down to a 180 on the rear. A buddy of mine runs the M1's all the time and he doesn't get much more then 2500 miles out of a rear and he's on a 954. I imagine the Busa would be lucky to get 2K out of one. Of course YMMV.

I had M1's on my R1. I loved them, only got 2,700 mi. I'm now trying Diablo's on my Busa hoping for a few more miles out of a basicly similar tire. Different bike but I'm not sure I like the Diablo's quite as much after 500 mi. I'll try an M1 rear when the Diablo is gone. I'm sold on 180 rears.

Too serious for me....
firedevil.gif
I'll likey go w/ the Metzler M4's, Had'm on my last bike and like the way they last/feel. I've got over 5k on the stock rocks now and the trip last weekend did them in... A couple of miles (40) at 100+ and a few (5) at 160 did it I think. Balling rubber on the rear...

Too serious for me....  
firedevil.gif
 I'll likey go w/ the Metzler M4's, Had'm on my last bike and like the way they last/feel.  I've got over 5k on the stock rocks now and the trip last weekend did them in...  A couple of miles (40) at 100+ and a few (5) at 160 did it I think.  Balling rubber on the rear...
I wish I had the room to stretch her legs like that...

5 mins at 160 would go half the length of Okinawa!

all i can say is stay away from dunlop i put a emergency set of these on my busa cuz some jealous a-hole slashed my rear tire and i felt like i was playing hockey sliding from one side of the highway to the other, i have put back the bt56 and all i can say is that this tire rocks it is specifically designed for the busa hard down the center and soft on the sides sticks like a champ in corners plus the fact that im 6'3 240 ive got over 15k on the front tire and it still looks fine,still gonna replace it though.

when they invented the busa they had professional riders take it to the track and beat the crap out of it so that they could design the best all around tire for the bike

i hope this helps

ps when u get the bt56 make sure you get the _J_ compound that ones for the busa

The M1s I've been using have been good in all east coast riding conditions (all kinds of weather, all kinds of roads), but the rear hasn't lasted more than 3k miles.

I'm still on my first front at about 4.5k miles and it looks good for a while longer (hoping to make it through the current rear).

Warm up's good, traction all around is good, but the profile's a little low. A steeper profile would be nice for quicker turn-ins.

I don't know if I have the special "p" versions, I just asked for "M1s for a Hayabusa" when I called kneedraggers
tounge.gif

Back