Tire tread life...cost vs performance

BusaFever

Post ***** Master Jedi
Donating Member
Registered
Everyone has their riding styles, so different strokes fo different folks right?  Here is mine, I LOVE the twisties, I have no chicken strips. My friends say I have been within 1" of scraping my exhaust on the ground.  I don't do sport touring tires, this thread is about streetable performance tires. I do my best to ride fast and safe, it is a hard balance.  I don't ride great wheelies, just on/off the throttle for fun.  Also no track days for me, I wish, but no tracks on Okinawa.

I have been raving about my Michelin pilot sport HPXs to everyone, corners good, great traction, extra tread life, yada yada yada.  I do love the way the tire handles, tho they take waaaay too long to warm up for my taste. They do loose traction occasionally, but is very predictable once they are warmed up.  If cold, I don't attempt to wheelie,  I'll just leave a nice 20-30 ft darkie on the road..

My point is that now I'm not too sure if they are worth the extra cash over a "less expensive, less treadlife tire."

I have put 3250 miles on my HPXs,  and they are at the wearbars.  So tonight I sat down and did some math.

***all tires are 120/70/17 and 190/50/17 ; costs are from dmtaonline or parts411***

HPX cost     = 270 per set
sportech MI  = 203 per set
D208ZR        =  214 per set
BT010          = 196 per set

*not factoring in shipping, should be the same per tire.
*not factoring in labor, won't cost me anything.
As you can see, the HPXs are a bit more pricey, but I figured hey, they are getting a lot more treadlife...

So I broke it down..

3250 miles / 270 cost = 12 miles per dollar with the HPXs

so that means all I have to do is get 2436 (12x 203=2436)out of a set of sportech M1s to be doing better $$ wise.  I think I might be able to do that.  Word on the M1s is 2500-3000 range.  I will probably fall closer to the 2500 mark the way I ride.  But I figure I will give another tire a chance.

Supposedly the M1s warm up quicker are are a tad bit stickier.  They are near the same profile as the pilots. I will try them unless someone has some better feedback on another tire...

D208s simply SUCK on Busas compared to the michelins, they have no corner turn in, they slipped consistently where the HPXs hold.  Felt like I was driving a truck through the corner, not a sportbike. The only thing I liked about them is they warmed up quicker but... I WILL NOT make that mistake again.  I know, I know some of you love them, so flame away if you must.  BUT please don't flame unless you have tried other tires....

I have little info on the Pirellis/Avons.

Heard good things about some Bridgestones.. BT010s
Heard some bad, the BT56s suck on traction..  someone was saying that the D208s were way better than this tire, so it must be horrible.  

I know, he heard, she heard, it's all relative.  Lets gather some good info...

What I would like to know is...

What are your experiences with tire treadlife?
Please state your tire, riding style, mileage, your likes/dislikes about the tire and anything else that you feel is relevant.  Maybe we can get some good info out on some of these tires.

You ever notice how magazines just "don't go there" when it comes to tires? Anyone got a Tire comparo in a mag? I've never seen on in a US mag. Too much competition/politics maybe? I dunno...

I choose performance over treadlife. Been cycling for about 5 years, no knee dragging as I don't trust road surfaces, will do some tracks days this year, got my Busa new about 1 year ago and this is my 3 tire in 9000 miles. I take off quick MOST of the time and want to stick more than worry about tire milage.

Here's my experiences: 1-5 stars

1. OEM: Bridgesomethings
sticky: ***** RARELY broke free, corners felt secure
turning: **** fine, nothing to compare to at that time
milage: ** more stick than last I guess, the way I drove
wet: *** ok, some experience here not too much
highspeed: ***** solid, planted, never a doubt, smoooth
warmup time: **** I dunno, they stuck, and wore out
cost: NA came with bike

2. Dunlop 208 [Dunlop is no longer acceptable to me]
sticky: * ALWAYS broke free for me, never seem to warm
turning: **** same as EOM
milage: NA trashed them and got something new ASAP
wet: NA dry pavement seemed like rain-soaked to me
highspeed: ***** solid, planted, never a doubt, smooth
warmup time: you mean they warm up?
cost: i fergit, average I think

3. Pirelli Diablo [not track Corsa's] I went 180 on these
Sticky: ***** never breaks free unless I work at it. worked great below freezing also!
Turning: ***** I went 180 on rear, Busa leans like a 600!!
milage: **** going well so far, 2000 and no flat area
wet: NA untested, I'm done riding in rain
Highspeed: ** very bouncy, scarey to me, might be the 180? or the tire designed for turning better
Warmup time: **** I think they warm up before I get out of the shower
Cost: **** very average for Iowa

I'm thinking of trying the HPX next but I wanna do more research on high speed tires. I LOVE the Pirellis! Had Pirellis on a previous bike too and they stuck, but wore quickly... Pirellis on my Civic car - got maybe 20,000 out of them YECH!

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080402965 -->

diablo.jpg

Pilot HPX is probably your best bet. I have the non-HPX pilots now they're great! I chose them over the HPX because they're considerably lighter. I haven't really had traction issues in turns, hard launching is a different story. I did notice they take some time to warm up. My next tire will be the Pilot H2 race. They'll probably last a thousand miles but it'll be fun!

I love my sportecs!! Quick warm up,pretty decent wear,fair price,--I got thr "P" tires which are made for Hayabusa.
I have a few freinds with 208 dunflops and they wont even ride them when its cold-Way too slippery.

I have enjoyed my Pirelli EVO's which are an older model compared to the Diablo's.
Got 4k out of the rear...very predictable..to me .And i never go for it when they are cold....when warm..high speed sweepers..around ninty..it's a good feeling...so in closing...4k to 5k is what i get....and five k on a Busa per season is like ten K on a normal [RE] regular streetbike..WooHoo long live the Hayabusa!!
wink.gif

Without serious track riding, I think you'd be impressed with the performance and longevity of the Bridgestone BT020's.

Some great feedback guys! Keep it up...

Anyone else??? We ALL use tires.

I love my sportecs!! Quick warm up,pretty decent wear,fair price,--I got thr "P" tires which are made for Hayabusa.
I have a few freinds with 208 dunflops and they wont even ride them when its cold-Way too slippery.
This is what I hear from everyone, no complaints. Most say sticky as it gets for a street tire. How many miles do you have and how is it holding up?

Pilot HPX is probably your best bet. I have the non-HPX pilots now they're great! I chose them over the HPX because they're considerably lighter. I haven't really had traction issues in turns, hard launching is a different story. I did notice they take some time to warm up. My next tire will be the Pilot H2 race. They'll probably last a thousand miles but it'll be fun!
I have used the H2 race on my front only in the past. It actually lasted almost 4000 miles... I bet the rear would make 1500-2000 if you were nice to it.

I have always thought it was my best bet too, but it does slip occasionally, and if the extra $$ don't buy me enough extra mileage, then I am kicking it to the curb....
Whew, what a run-on sentence.

You notice a difference in mileage between the HPXs and non-HPX pilots? I kinda assumed the HPXs would last a little longer, but that's not confirmed.

Great info on tires...will keep it it mind when I'm due for some tires. Thks!
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|flyboy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080485370 -->

3. Pirelli Diablo [not track Corsa's] I went 180 on these
Sticky: ***** never breaks free unless I work at it. worked great below freezing also!
Turning: ***** I went 180 on rear, Busa leans like a 600!!
milage: **** going well so far, 2000 and no flat area
wet: NA untested, I'm done riding in rain
Highspeed: ** very bouncy, scarey to me, might be the 180? or the tire designed for turning better
Warmup time: **** I think they warm up before I get out of the shower
Cost: **** very average for Iowa
Got these also, but stuck w/ 190's

Basically, what you said. I love 'em!

Did break the rear free quite a few times last weekend, but very predictable and scare free (after the first one
biggrin.gif
).

Mileage? I dunno, only got about 500 on 'em, and they look as good as new.

I'm runnin the stock bt56's....they seem to grip nicely, although I have no desire to low side at 80+mph. I've taken some sweepers where I have about 1/4 left on the grip patch...hitting about 80 - 85mph on it. I feel like I can trust the tires, but someting tells me not too push it so hard.

Wet? I'm shidding my pants everytime it rains. It seems as if the tires were made out of hard-packed oil sometimes.

I'm looking into the Diablos...I wanna stick with the 190 profile for speed, but I'm also lookin at the 180 for better turn-ins.

What say you?

So far, the 190 has done me well. You can get tires with a "pointier" profile that will help with the turn in. IE Metzeler M1, Michelin pilot race H2.... That is the best route in my opinion.

Busafever,

I would describe my riding the same as yours. A few times a year I will go 2 up for a 200-300 mile trip in the curves, less aggresive riding though. Here are my tire numbers

Stock BT-56
2136 miles
3020 miles
2136 miles

Mez3
2364 miles
2610 miles

M1 sportec
900 miles because of a nail

Pilot sport
2737 miles
2942 miles
3745 miles (long cross country trip, waited too long to replace)

d208
1900 miles

I did the math once and the cost per mile was about the same for the pilot sport and the bt-56. The bt-56 grip was average and the warm up time was quick but less miles. I just didn't like the d208. I don't think they make the mez3 anymore so I won't talk about it. The pilot sport is my favorite tire. Warm up takes a while but they stick like glue!!!
They cost a little more but I get an extra 600 or so miles out of them so the cost per mile is about the same. As for warm up time, I never go cold into the twisties so I always have plenty of time to get them hot.

As for front tires, I normally go through 2 rears for every 1 front. The front wear is much more erratic on my bike. Sometimes I replace them for wear, and some times I replace them for cupping. Anyway it averages 2 to 1 regardless of brand.

I am trying an experiment on the rear tire. I have the pilot sport on the front and a pilot road on the rear. So far the grip is equivilent to the bt-56 and the mez3. I am actually very happy with it (because of cost), 2500 miles and plenty of tread left. I am going run it for a bit more and then try the HPX. I'll keep you posted.

One last thing, I am a little skeptical of the HPX and the M1 "p" made specifically for the the busa.
I have no facts to back my opinion up, but I get the feeling that they are a little harder and designed for longer runs at higher speeds. I hear good things about them on the board but never from folks who have similar riding styles. I find that most of the HPX comments come from folks in florida and texas that don't hit the twisties too much. That is why I am going to give it a shot as a next tire, just as an experiment, to see what kind of a tire it really is.

So far, the 190 has done me well.  You can get tires with a "pointier" profile that will help with the turn in.  IE Metzeler M1, Michelin pilot race H2....  That is the best route in my opinion.
aah....but they are less stable at higher speeds, eh? Hrrm..the trade off seems interesting....

This is what I hear from everyone, no complaints. Most say sticky as it gets for a street tire. How many miles do you have and how is it holding up?
Same here, I'm at ~3,000 on my sportec M1 and it's about time for a replacement. I've had no problem /c high speeds, traction (90+ degrees to 30 degrees and in rain). I'll be replacing my M1 soon with another M1.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!

banner_metalic.jpg

One last thing, I am a little skeptical of the HPX and the M1 "p" made specifically for the the busa.  
I have no facts to back my opinion up, but I get the feeling that they are a little harder and designed for longer runs at higher speeds.  I hear good things about them on the board but never from folks who have similar riding styles.  I find that most of the HPX comments come from folks in florida and texas that don't hit the twisties too much.  That is why I am going to give it a shot as a next tire, just as an experiment, to see what kind of a tire it really is.
That is what I am saying in my first post bro. I ride fairly hard and they do slip quite a bit. Not as bad as my 208 tho.

I agree with you completely.

This is what I hear from everyone, no complaints.  Most say sticky as it gets for a street tire.  How many miles do you have and how is it holding up?
Same here, I'm at ~3,000 on my sportec M1 and it's about time for a replacement.  I've had no problem /c high speeds, traction (90+ degrees to 30 degrees and in rain).  I'll be replacing my M1 soon with another M1.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!
I think you just made my mind up Dawg! Thanks for the info... I have been wanting to know how many actual miles you can get out of the sportecs. Do you have the P rated or non P? lol

Back