Tire questions

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
Ok,
   As some of you know, I am kicking your butts on the mileage challenge (911 miles last week, commute to work).  But I am eating up tires doing so.

I asked a question here and was told that ppl were getting very good mileage out of the Avons.  I did some research and now I have a question.

On the Avon website Link to the tires in question it lists a (B) version of the tires that are the size needed for our bikes.  Does anyone know what that (B) means?

TIA

Don

The link won't take you right there, it goes back to the home page.

Select the link, then North America, then sport touring.

<!--EDIT|usn04limited
Reason for Edit: "link not working like I wanted it to"|1151154638 -->

I dunno, I sent the company an email asking the same question, but I am impatient and was hoping that some of you guys would have the answer. I did go to the fitment section of the Avon website, typed in 2005 Busa and the tires that it recommended had that (B) after them, so I am wondering if that (B) represents a tire that is specifically made for high torque bikes. Other companies do that.

Don

Go with the AV59 up front instead of the 45ST ....I have heard of complaints about the 45ST getting a "wiggle feeling" in the front under low speed and rain conditions.
Look at the center tread channel as it snakes around the tire....that is what the tire tends to "follow" under those conditions.

Avons a very well suited to mix/match applications....so the 46ST in the rear and the AV59 up front (or any other front (older styles too) would be a good choice).
I think we would want a softer font and a longer lasting compound in the rear anyways......and that combo will be my next set.

Ahhhh, I see what you mean about the 46. The 59 is a little softer but that the front usually last 2:1 anyway.

Have you run the combo AV59 and ST46?

Don

Here is another quick question, that I just realized I needed to ask. The ST46 is not "Z" rated. Will is still handle occasional blips to 150 plus without a prob?

Inquiring minds want to know.
biggrin.gif

Don

I have not run Avons on my Busa yet ....but I have used the AV27/AV50 combo on another bike.

As for the speed rating....I thinks the ST are "approved" for limited time spent at 168mph.........that doesn't mean it won't do better, just that the testing decided that was the "reliable" cutoff point.
The tire will likely never have an issue even at 175~180+ ......but if it did, there would be no liability on Avon's behalf.

.....The tire will likely never have an issue even at 175~180+ ......but if it did, there would be no liability on Avon's behalf.
LOL,
If you have a tire prob at that speed, there is a good chance that Avon will never hear about it anyway, because you won't be around to tell them their tire failed at 184.6 mph.

Don

Here is another quick question, that I just realized I needed to ask.  The ST46 is not "Z" rated.  Will is still handle occasional blips to 150 plus without a prob?

biggrin.gif

Don
yes Z rated
AWESOME!!!  I was just going by the AVON website because some of the tires there have "ZR" in the title and some don't.  That clears up that question then.

Don
I know, ordered them not quite knowing their rating but I also was not planning on extended warp speed runs and was delighted to find out there rating when I got them. Haven't used them yet so I can't make any comments on their performance.

Here is another quick question, that I just realized I needed to ask.  The ST46 is not "Z" rated.  Will is still handle occasional blips to 150 plus without a prob?

biggrin.gif

Don
yes Z rated
AWESOME!!!  I was just going by the AVON website because some of the tires there have "ZR" in the title and some don't.  That clears up that question then.

Don
I know,   ordered them not quite knowing their rating but I also was not planning on extended warp speed runs and was delighted to find out there rating when I got them. Haven't used them yet so I can't make any comments on their performance.
If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for them? I will have to get new tires here in the next couple of weeks.

Don

biggrin.gif

Don
yes Z rated

Don
I know,   ordered them not quite knowing their rating but I also was not planning on extended warp speed runs and was delighted to find out there rating when I got them. Haven't used them yet so I can't make any comments on their performance.
If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for them?  I will have to get new tires here in the next couple of weeks.

Don
Something like 245.00 for the pair, was awhile ago so prices may have changed. Got them HERE, I shopped around, best price I could find at the time.

I run the 45/46 combination without any problems. Because the 46s last so long, you will not get 2:1 from the front. I'm hoping to get 1.5:1, but may not make it. If you go softer, plan on 1:1.

Herei is the front at 8,000 miles

100_1098.jpg

I bought mine at the dealer so I don't know about the (B). But to answer the rating question (again).

100_1095.jpg

hows the 200 on the rear, I've heard alot dont like it, loses something in the turns? I dont know just throwing it out there.

Go with the AV59 up front instead of the 45ST ....I have heard of complaints about the 45ST getting a "wiggle feeling" in the front under low speed and rain conditions.
No disrespect, but I've been running the AV45 up front for over 8,000 miles including riding in heavy rainand low speed conditions. I have not exprienced the "wiggle feeling" you heard about. I recommend sticking with the 45/46 combination. I'm willing to change that with my next front, if you have experience on a Busa proving the 59/46 is a better combination.

Im running the 45/46 combo and love them. I havent had a problem with them untill I noticed that the front tire was cupping and it was my fualt it was doin it, didnt have but 20 lbs in it. The rear is holdin up nicely with just over 4 grand on it and still looks almost new. I love the avon tires.

Back