Tire and cornering stability

Ironbrad

Registered
The stock BT56 'stones handled well enough on the busa. I replaced them with Avons (SP front ST rear) of the normal size. I've used them before with success on my ZZR1200. However, on the Busa I now have a harder time getting the bike to settle into and hold a line on familiar corners. It feels like it wants to fall into the corner, requiring a lot more rider input (adjustments) in the form of body position shift or counter-steering while in the constant radius turn.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with different tire profiles? I'm considering pulling the Avons and replacing them with Michelins or Bt014s.

Thanks

Maybe try less tire pressure? The 014s are great if you do decide to change tires. Quite similar to the 56s in stability yet stickier and should last longer.

Ironbrad,

I have just replaced my pirellies with the same Avon combo as you. I have not had the same problem, the bike handles great now. Holds its line just fine.

I have read on the UK busa site that the Avons are sensitive to tire pressure changes and they all seem to recommend 42 PSI front and rear which is higher than you usually see posted around here for tires.

Only thing I do not like too much about them is that I can feel the tread pattern on the rear at very slow speeds, feels like a very very tiny wobble but that clears up above 5 kph.

moX

Ironbrad,

I have just replaced my pirellies with the same Avon combo as you. I have not had the same problem, the bike handles great now. Holds its line just fine.

I have read on the UK busa site that the Avons are sensitive to tire pressure changes and they all seem to recommend 42 PSI front and rear which is higher than you usually see posted around here for tires.

Only thing I do not like too much about them is that I can feel the tread pattern on the rear at very slow speeds, feels like a very very tiny wobble but that clears up above 5 kph.

moX
I think I am going to pick up some. You know where I can get some for cheap? Link???

It's the thought control module working on the Busa, it doesn't work until you put on new tires.

laugh.gif

Back