tips on lifting the rear via Vortex on your own?

motopokep

Registered
Got spools and Vortex rear stand. Can't figure out how to safely lift the bike on my own. Had a friend hold it straight, off the kickstand, and I lifted it up. Anyone been able to use the Vortex on your own?

I also heard it's not a good idea to leave the bike on the stand for a long time, something messing up the shocks, right? We'll, mine will be on the stand at least till tomorrow till I get someone to help me get it down, don't think shocks will be ruined over 24 hrs.

Do you have the grab bar mounted on your bike? If so, just pull it up to balance point holding bar in one hand and put stand under with other, once stand is under spools and wheels of stand are firmly on the ground/floor minimum pressure down on stand handle will hold the bike vertical, just as when you are sitting on it. Once it's balanced it takes very little to hold it there. Then just push down on handle and up she goes. may take a few times for you to get use to it if you've never done it before but once you get the hang it is just like tying your shoes in the dark, comes second nature.

If you do have a buddy to help you a couple times ,just have him stand next to bike for support if needed and just try doing it by yourself until you get confident enough to try with noone around. But even after you get comfortable doing it and it ever does start to go over best thing to do is let it go and fix what needs fixing. Cause even though it takes hardly nothing to hold it vertical when balanced once it get a few degree's off kilter believe me that 500+lb's seems like twice as much when your trying to stop it. And it's better to have broken plastics than broken bones.

As far as leaving it on the stand, who told you it would mess anything up? Anyways, no it will not in any way shape or form, unless it falls off.:laugh: Realistically the same weight is put on your shock whether it is sitting on the stand or wheels on ground.

Even if you don't have the grab bar mounted, just take off the rear seat or cowl and there is a bar running along the back of the bike you can hold. It's the one that the latch is on. Very scary for the first couple times, but eventually it is no big deal.

Even if you don't have the grab bar mounted, just take off the rear seat or cowl and there is a bar running along the back of the bike you can hold. It's the one that the latch is on. Very scary for the first couple times, but eventually it is no big deal.

Good catch bots, I was thinking about that and forgot to add it. Or just the sub frame cross bar that the latch mounts to. :thumbsup:

A length of 2x4 or 2x6 under the kick stand gets it close to vertical. Very easy to get on rear stand from there.

It will not hurt to be on the stand. More of folks store them on stands with no issues.

no, my grab bar is off, very first mod i did, along with those ugly net pins on the tail. I like the 2x4 idea to get it vertical, and then taking the cowl off to grab onto a bar there. it is scary though, I'll have someone spot me just in case to catch it..thanx.

1. Stand on the right side of the bike opposite the kickstand; that way if you don't make it, you can let it back down on the sidestand.
2. put your thigh at the vertical mark (so you can stop it).
3. Reach over with your RIGHT HAND over the top of the hump, and grab the bike somwhere around the left turn signal.
4. with the stand within reach, use both hands and pull the bike towards you (off the sidestand) and let it rest against your thigh (vertical); now, with it vertical, you can hold it against your thigh with your right hand while you get the stand and put it under the rear.
5. Line up the stand and put enough pressure on it so that the stand will hold the bike vertical.
6. While keeping pressure on the stand, move behind the bike, and with both hands, firmly in one movement (don't yank), raise the bike onto the rear stand.

I do this with my GEN II daily. Works like a charm. to remove, do same in reverse. As long as you keep pressure on the rear stand, the bike will stand vertical until you can move your body around to the right side and get a grip on it to let back down onto the side stand.

If it's a Gen I there's a grab bar in the left side hole in the rear cowl. When letting the bike down just put out the kickstand and turn the handlebars to the left. The bike will naturally want to lean to the left. Slowly lower it until the kickstand touches down. After some practice you don't even need to hang on to the bike.

Back