Tip of the day "Suspension/Braking"

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
Here is a little tip oh how your fork set up affects braking that is often over looked.

Did you know that leaving the forks a bit soft by backing off the compression allows the front tire to load faster when agressively applying the brakes? It's true! There are other benifits to leaving the suspension a little soft for street riding which can be covered later.

As we all know, the job of the suspension is to keep the tires in proper contact with the pavement. Setting the suspension to a firm setting is a big advantage for agressive cornering on smooth pavement such as we find at most race tracks. However, with the stiffer front forks we must allow more time for the brakes to load the front tire before applying full lever application. The stiffer the front forks the less effort it takes to lock the tire. :beerchug:

Did you lock the front today :whistle:

Not today. I have however given up front tire traction hundreds of times. And yes, I have busted my A$$ more than once in doing so! I think I should write a book on how to crash? :beerchug:

Not today. I have however given up front tire traction hundreds of times. And yes, I have busted my A$$ more than once in doing so! I think I should write a book on how to crash? :beerchug:

Yeah... most experts tell you how not to crash! What good does that do when you get all "crossed up"???

Yeah... most experts tell you how not to crash! What good does that do when you get all "crossed up"???

I can tell you this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, If you ride "Not to Crash" your skill level will never exceed average. There are no "Expert" riders that has not crashed. And the guys with exceptional skills have crashed numerous times!

Give or take a few ounces of fork oil makes a big difference in the damping rate in the last part of a forks stroke as it nears full compression.

cheers
ken

I can tell you this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, If you ride "Not to Crash" your skill level will never exceed average. There are no "Expert" riders that has not crashed. And the guys with exceptional skills have crashed numerous times!

So have many whom have less than exceptional skills. ;) :laugh: :rofl:

Stop talking about me!

Stop talking about me!

Oh Stop That! :spank: You ride just fine. You and I discussed that business of riding "Not to Crash" You are past the first step, you know what you must overcome to advance. I think you'll get the dots connected this next season :thumbsup:

Give or take a few ounces of fork oil makes a big difference in the damping rate in the last part of a forks stroke as it nears full compression.

cheers
ken

It's not a FEW ounces, it's about one ounce. Varying the oil level by 15-20ml is about as far as you want to go either direction. If you add more than 20ml the pressure inside the fork tube due to reducing the volume of the air chamber will begin to overcome the fork seal. However, the oil trick has little effect until the forks near the bottom of their stroke.

Adjusting the oil level has little to do with damping. It's more to do with the spring resistance (Progressive spring). Add a little oil is like adding a heavier progressive spring which creates more resistance towards the bottom of the stroke, reduce the oil level and it's like adding a lighter spring. If you are bottoming your forks out the real fix is heavier springs.

Suspension, suspension, suspension I hear that over and over..... and guess what? They are right! It is the key to getting the bike to do the things you need it to do! Its understanding how it works, why it works, and how to use it to your advantage. Many of us dont know how to do this, and I myself am still learning! I watch videos and read books to help my knowledge of how to get it to work for me. To loose(soft) and its all over the place bouncing like a pogo, and you have no control when you up the pace! To tight (stiff) and it kills your wrists, back, teeth, etc, and you can loose traction at the front or back at a moments notice if you get greedy on the brake or gas. The tires is doing most of the work. The biggest thing that happens to most of us riders is that we have never had a bike setup to know what it is we are looking for. So we go on for years riding the factory settings until we meet some one that shows you how to get a base line or ride a bike that is setup right. I did for years and didnt know what I was missing. I am no pro, but a bike suspension that is balanced is a treat to ride! And it makes going faster easier for you and the bike!

Back