Tigcraft Exhaust - secret is out

mountainmotor

Donating Member
Registered
Most probably have heard about Tigcraft's ultra high quality Aprilia exhausts .

Good news is is the secret is officialy out and they are expanding into the sport-bike market . I heard Suzuki brand bikes first a few months ago . New generation bikes first then they are are going to work towards making systems for pre 2007 bikes .

Could it be they are working on the 2008 Busa pipe as we type  
rock.gif

biggrin.gif

race.gif

http://www.tigcraftusa.com/default.asp

intro_header_05.jpg

5009.jpg

Forgot .
biggrin.gif

I am holding one of their 21 inch titanium oval mufflers I picked up for a special project  in one hand , long neck Budweiser in the other  .

Thinking the long neck weighs more  

Gotta go , Wifes tired of typing for me since both hands are full  
tounge.gif

(mountainmotor @ Apr. 07 2007,15:16) Forgot .
biggrin.gif

I am holding one of their 21 inch titanium oval mufflers I picked up for a special project  in one hand , long neck Budweiser in the other  .

tounge.gif
"Her" hands, or "Yours"
rock.gif
?............
biggrin.gif

I'll take a set of those pipes !!!!!
super.gif

biggrin.gif

Excuse my ignorance, but what is up with the ridges and kinks in the bends?
rock.gif

How do you get smooth airflow with that??

(StreetnTrack @ Apr. 07 2007,20:39) hopefully we will get the first set.  will let you know prices as soon as we get them.
Yes please do. I am starting a stock pile for another Busa.

man..i've been a machinist/fabricator in the aerospace industry for most of my adult life and to me?...those pipes appear to be the worst case of "Process Abuse" i've ever witnessed...there's only two reasons to fabricate a pipe in that mannor...

1. It's different.

and...

2. To the untrained eye?..it looks cool.

but to the trained eye?...it's a severe violation of standard shop practices where hydraulic mandrel bending and/or hydroforming would be an automatic common sense option....yet the masses of great unknowing are placing heavy emphasis on "Weld"...as it seems the less they actually know about a topic the cooler it is to talk about and hype up..sillyness to me...and Shibumi is correct in his question of...

"How do you get smooth airflow with that??"

This is yet anoither Boz Bros Type Hype Pipe..catoring, marketing and selling to the great unknowing masses.
laugh.gif

JMHO and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Hey, Jink...I don't know about all the proffesional side of views but, is it impossible to bend that metarial? cuz, all that cutting, welding process, and the labor charges will most likely coming out of buyers pocket...
rock.gif

(hydrabusa @ Apr. 07 2007,17:37) Hey, Jink...I don't know about all the proffesional side of views but, is it impossible to bend that metarial? cuz, all that cutting, welding process, and the labor charges will most likely coming out of buyers pocket...
rock.gif
of course..there are very few exotic alloys that can not be cold formed but even they can be hot formed...and i assure you that those pipes aren't made of those particular exotic alloys.

And yes..the masses will pay dearly for what they don't know nor understand.

A lot of GP bikes have pipes made this way, and they seem to suffer no ill effects from it. Two stroke expansion chambers have been made this way for decades. Not exactly sure of the ultimate reason for the extravagant fabrication but if I were to guess I would say it is due to the ultra thin wall tubing being used not lending itself to mass production processes such as Hydro-forming. The tooling to make these systems would no doubt very cost prohibitive and due to the number of changes a GP bike goes through in short order it would not be feasible. But ultimately it just looks cool as hell and I like it! Bring on the TIG!

07_SUZUKI_RGV800.JPG

(JINKSTER @ Apr. 07 2007,23:15) man..i've been a machinist/fabricator in the aerospace industry for most of my adult life and to me?...those pipes appear to be the worst case of "Process Abuse" i've ever witnessed...there's only two reasons to fabricate a pipe in that mannor...

1. It's different.

and...

but to the trained eye?...it's a severe violation of standard shop practices where hydraulic mandrel bending and/or hydroforming would be an automatic common sense option....yet the masses of great unknowing are placing heavy emphasis on "Weld"...as it seems the less they actually know about a topic the cooler it is to talk about and hype up..sillyness to me...and Shibumi is correct in his question of...

This is yet anoither Boz Bros Type Hype Pipe..catoring, marketing and selling to the great unknowing masses.
laugh.gif

JMHO and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
+1
cool.gif

cool.gif

(mountainmotor @ Apr. 07 2007,15:16) Forgot .
biggrin.gif

I am holding one of their 21 inch titanium oval mufflers I picked up for a special project in one hand , long neck Budweiser in the other .

tounge.gif
yes,but the long neck tastes much better!
all_coholic.gif

(JINKSTER @ Apr. 08 2007,01:15) man..i've been a machinist/fabricator in the aerospace industry for most of my adult life and to me?...those pipes appear to be the worst case of "Process Abuse" i've ever witnessed...there's only two reasons to fabricate a pipe in that mannor...

1. It's different.

and...

laugh.gif

JMHO and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
I agree Jinkster. I know that Micron uses the hydroforming process on some of their race pipes.

(bigoltool @ Apr. 07 2007,20:18) A lot of GP bikes have pipes made this way, and they seem to suffer no ill effects from it. Two stroke expansion chambers have been made this way for decades. Not exactly sure of the ultimate reason for the extravagant fabrication but if I were to guess I would say it is due to the ultra thin wall tubing being used not lending itself to mass production processes such as Hydro-forming. The tooling to make these systems would no doubt very cost prohibitive and due to the number of changes a GP bike goes through in short order it would not be feasible. But ultimately it just looks cool as hell and I like it! Bring on the TIG!
bigoltool...motogp pipes are what they are...a race crews attempt at creating a minimalistic ultra-lightweight exhaust system with an emphasis on reducing the size and weight of the least important components of an exhaust system...the mid-pipe and what used to be "Cannister" type silencers...with the more focused and serious efforts aimed at headpipe and collector design..and to achieve this?...race crews...lacking time, the proper equipment and zero reason/purpose to aim their on-the-fly R&D efforts with any sort goal of mass production for sale to the public is NOT their goal...their mission at hand is to design and fab the most eficient headpipe/collector system possible and then cobble the rest of this minimalistic shid togther "Trackside"....advancement is race technology to make a fast bike lighter and faster?..you betcha...but the most efficient way to manufacture a particular exhaust system design to the masses?...nope...no way...ain't even on their minds.

But leave it to the aftermarket to take this "Cobbled Together Trackside Look" and charge a real high premium to maket it to John Q. wannabe Motogp poser...for what?...that "Poser Look"?
laugh.gif

hey! There's a new one!

"A MOTOGP TYPE POSER HYPE PIPE!"
laugh.gif

I hafta confess though...i have been thinking about maybe rolling up a cone to mount as a meg exhaust on the back of my akro race full exhaust to replace my cf cannister.
biggrin.gif
but it won't be 50 'lil pos all welded together...one roll formed piece with a single seam weld.
biggrin.gif

Sorry...jmho and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

micron!

first pic of her in her first outfit the day i got her home.

IMG_1116.JPG

that all carbon bike is sic. and from what i know "smooth" flows better.

without seeing a cut-away view of the inside...you have no idea what type of flow pattern is produced.

as for the bends...I think the picture is more for advertising purposes demonstrating the ability of the brand/technology to adapt to different scenarios.

I do wonder if it's "fixed" or does it flex on demand for the end user?
rock.gif

If it flexes for you....then how similar is it to the stuff you can get at the auto parts store for your car.....

you can't just dismiss it because it's different.
wait to see the numbers.
beerchug.gif

(BusaCruise @ Apr. 08 2007,05:15) without seeing a cut-away view of the inside...you have no idea what type of flow pattern is produced.

as for the bends...I think the picture is more for advertising purposes demonstrating the ability of the brand/technology to adapt to different scenarios.

I do wonder if it's "fixed" or does it flex on demand for the end user?  
rock.gif

If it flexes for you....then how similar is it to the stuff you can get at the auto parts store for your car.....

you can't just dismiss it because it's different.
wait to see the numbers.
beerchug.gif
"without seeing a cut-away view of the inside...you have no idea what type of flow pattern is produced."

Bologna...the od of the tubing follows the id of the tubing...what you see on the outsdie is what's on the inside..minus two wall thicknesses.

"as for the bends...I think the picture is more for advertising purposes demonstrating the ability of the brand/technology to adapt to different scenarios."

Posible maybe..but my guess is that one pipe on a "Weld Jig" is for real.

"I do wonder if it's "fixed" or does it flex on demand for the end user?"

If that pipe flexs?...ya better send it out for FPI (fluid penetrant inspection) cause chances are?...ya just cracked a few of those gaggilion weld joints.

"If it flexes for you....then how similar is it to the stuff you can get at the auto parts store for your car..... "

1. And trust me here...it wasn't designed to "flex"

2. Ya mean the $1.97 a foot accordian style flex tube shid?..now that's funny!
laugh.gif

"you can't just dismiss it because it's different."

in my case?...yes..i can.

Now i will add this...the one thing i do think is cool is the minimalistic ultra lightweight "almost a muffler" thingy...not certain my neighbours would appreciate it at 7:00am...and i damn sure wouldn't pay anybody a premium for one that was cobbled together out of a bunch of ittyy bitty pieces like something from Choppers Inc. with a gazzilion weld joints glueing it all together...but i would go for a nice smooth flowing single piece roll formed mini-meg.

again..jmho tainted with a lot of manufacturing//fab experience and, L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Back