Tied down

Toyz

Registered
Looks like we will go to Dallas if it comes this way. I'm either going to borrow a trailer to take the bike or load it in the back of my Truck. My question is what's the best way to strap the bike down. I've done dirt bikes but not a street bike.

Canyon Dancer straps are great just make sure to watch the fairings when you tie it down.  If the anchor points are to close to the bike the straps will rub. You can get them at any motorcycle shop.

<!--EDIT|jwcfbd
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127182137 -->

I RECOMMEND "CRANK STRAPS" NOT CAM BUCKLE. CAM COULD SLIP A BIT + CANYON DANCER BAR HARNESS THAT IS A MUST.

get one of those straps that goes across handelbars with the loops and run one around threw the rear wheel
It's called a Canyone Dancer. Sweet little thing. It keeps the tie downs away from your R and L fairings. Look on ebay...type "canyone dancer tie downs" into the search bar...they're like $30 or so.

Otherwise, what I used to do is loop one end of the tie down around my grip and run the other end to the tie down eyelit...take a soft cloth and put it under the strap where it lays on your fairing and you won't get a mark. Use a trailer with a tire chock...they are wonderful for securing the front when you tie down.

From there, I just hook to the rearsets and secure the rear end, or, if your trailer will work with it...do like gunnut said and run a strap through the rear wheel to secure the rear end.

<!--EDIT|Busa_05
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127182320 -->

Canyon Dancer straps are great just make sure to watch the fairings when you tie it down.  If the anchor points are to close to the bike the straps will rub.  You can get them at any motorcycle shop.
Definitely watch the fairings. Wrap the Canyon Dancer with a cotton towel to prevent damage if your tie-down points aren't far enough apart or high enough to prevent contact.

Got the strap...now when I secure the front how far down on the shocks do I go when I pull it down? The trailer I'm using is just a regular utility trailer so it does not have the guide for the front tire.

as long as the front wheel is straight, and against the trailer front it wont move. Pull those tie downs so it compresses the front end , doesn't have to be all the way, 70-80 % is plenty.
Wont hurt the suspension. no worries.

as long as the front wheel is straight, and against the trailer front it wont move. Pull those tie downs so it compresses the front end , doesn't have to be all the way, 70-80 % is plenty.
thumbs-up.gif

I got a price on a wheel chock 48.00 at cycle gear, if they still have it tomorrow I think I'm going to get it anyway.

thumbs-up.gif

I got a price on a wheel chock 48.00 at cycle gear, if they still have it tomorrow I think I'm going to get it anyway.
go 4 it....its not nessecary... but if it suits yer piece o mind...

I've hauled lots.... some bikes too.... hheheheheheh

get it, if you think u need it.

you dont.but wtf. get it anyway.

thumbs-up.gif

Aw, Rub could definitely be right. In fact I would trust he is. You probably don't need a chock. I'm so overly anal...I feel like without a chock my bike isn't stable...I won't be secure even in a four point tie...that's probably all bullsh!t, but it's just me, I guess...

If asked, I always recommend one...but if you've secured the bike in a four point, prolly even a three, and compressed the front end, it probably won't go anywhere. If you can push the bike back and forth and all it does is rock your trailer, you're gonna be fine.

Be careful with the cheaper chocks. If your rotors fit inside the chock they can wind up bent if the bike moves around. Some of the simple chocks seem to be intended more for dirt bikes. The Condor and Baxley are a lot more money, but do a great job. I tie mine down with just a couple straps to the rear peg mounts. No scratched fairings, no stressed suspension or bars. I did use a Canyon Dancer prior to using the Condors with decent results.

Be careful with the cheaper chocks. If your rotors fit inside the chock they can wind up bent if the bike moves around. Some of the simple chocks seem to be intended more for dirt bikes. The Condor and Baxley are a lot more money, but do a great job. I tie mine down with just a couple straps to the rear peg mounts. No scratched fairings, no stressed suspension or bars. I did use a Canyon Dancer prior to using the Condors with decent results.
Thought about it last night and as many people that are leaving I may not be able to park a trailer anywhere so we are taking both cars and I have loaded it in the back of my truck with the canyon dancers...they worked great! Hope I have a home when I come back!

good luck man... ya need to call someone and let us know how it goes..

hit me a p.m. and I'll give you my #

If you can shake the bike, and the truck/trailer moves, it's tied down good enough. No need to secure the rear wheel, if the front lets go, the strap thru the rear ain't gonna hold anyway, it'll just drag your bike along behind........

Back