Thoughts on gear

Burger King

breakin' the law
Donating Member
Registered
After someone has a terrible or fatal accident there seems to be a glut of people extolling the virtues of "wearing gear"￾.

A racer plans on crashing"¦"¦"¦They know that while learning, and the faster they get, the more probable it is that sooner or later they will be separated from their machine sliding on the ground or tumbling through the air, so they wear gear (the best that they can afford at that time) to help insure their quick return to the track with as little pain as possible.

How many of you that are constantly commenting on the virtues of wearing gear actually practice what you preach?  You know who you are"¦.."￾ dress for the crash"￾ people.

There is only one piece of gear that will exponentially help ensure a riders survival"¦"¦.the helmet. Head injuries are the number one reason for motorcyclist's death.

How many riders wear cheap "brand name"￾ helmets because of the "cool"￾ brand or graphics while criticizing those who wear less? If they looked up actual reviews on some of those helmets they might realize that a "pos"￾ helmet isn't the best piece of gear to save your head.

Internal injuries are second.

How many of you wear an approved back protector and chest protector every time you ride?

Leather jackets and pants help prevent abrasion, ie: road rash. Armor in the jacket or pants might help prevent some injuries, but minimally. You better have a chest protector and back protector to help save the internals and the spine.

How many wear high dollar boots that help prevent broken ankles such as the Sidi vertebra or better, or do you just wear boots instead of tennis shoes and brag about it?

What is the point where you begin trading "gear"￾ for comfort?  90 degrees? 100 degrees?

If you're heading out to ride for enjoyment in the twisties or a trip to the mountains it's one thing, but for someone who commutes to and from work everyday it may be another.

I ride to the mountains occasionally and I ride every day to and from work. My gear is different depending on what reason I am riding and the weather. Yes, I have tons of different gear but ultimately I have the say for myself and I believe that One greater than myself will determine my departure from this earth notwithstanding what amount of gear I'm wearing at the time or whether I'm on my bike or in a car or wherever.

I believe we all have reasons for the gear we wear but I wish we could get away from (commenting on) criticizing those who choose different than ourselves. Especially those that have passed on. We self-righteously assume that if they wore what we suggest (with our 20-20 vision), they most likely would still be here.

Sorry, I needed to vent  
goodboy.gif

You'll always see me in gear! Temperature is tough, but rather get back a little wet than not at all. Wasn't in to the leather stuff when I first started, but have seen the virtue of wearing it. Don't skimp and always dress for the crash!

I dont ride without my helmet (which may not be the coolest helmet, but ranks highly in testing), gloves, leather jacket (with spine protector - not the one it came with), ballistic jeans, and boots.

Hope you feel better..
laugh.gif

Bottom line is... This forum is for expressing your personal opinions or views, like you just did.. Asking others to not comment on a person(s) choice of gear would require you to not make any statement regarding your feelings on it either.. That being said, you make valid points in your narrative, but at the end of the day they are your opinion, just like everyone else on here including me and what I am writing in this reply.. So while I hear and acknowledge your frustration, try to acknowledge the frustration that the AWESOME people/fellow riders on this board feel, when they see or hear about a fellow rider who dies or is seriously injured in an accident when they were not even wearing a helmet, much less any protective gear... I would think that most people on here are not berating or slamming anyone who dies while riding without gear, as much as they feel upset and are also venting their frustration like you just did, that a fellow rider may have been alive to ride another day and been able to be with his or her family instead of a morgue.. Ride your ride the way you see fit brother, and enjoy...
thumb_up.gif
beerchug.gif

My only decision I make when putting on my gear is do I want to wear my armor pants or my Icon jeans. I always wear helmet, jacket (armored), gloves (armored), boots (Icon), and mentioned pants.

Good advice is good advice. Some people wear all the time...some don't. It is their choice, but it is safer to have on your gear.

I always wear boots, gloves,helmet, jacket with a class 2 back protector and protective pants of some kind. the biggest protection is being a defensive rider all the time with planned out stratigies. I also wear a floresent green net safety vest TO BE SEEN I.E. BE CONSPICIOUS ----      Do you BURGER KING!

When I got hit I had 5-6 thousand bucks worth of gear on.Boots,armoured shorts,leather pants,body armour,armoured textile jacket,helmet and 300 buck leather gloves. It saved me a world of hurt.The chest plate in the body armour worked beautifully when my chest smashed out my own windscreen.My shins both got cut,right thru my boots.If I had runners on,most likely would have cut me to the bone.My helmet took at least 3 good shots.The padding in my motoX underwear probably saved my ballz from being hit real hard,and took away some of the shock to my tailbone.

I could go on and on...I'm this sites "original gear nazi".

But the topic bores most folk now,so I just mention when it is brought up by someone else.

One thing I always remember about folks riding in the heat.Revlis once mentioned what his father told him:
Sometimes it is just too hot to ride. If you are way too uncomfortable to wear your gear in extreme heat....dont ride.

To each his own,I suppose. Hopefully,you'll never have to learn the hard way.

RSD.

When I got hit I had 5-6 thousand bucks worth of gear on.Boots,armoured shorts,leather pants,body armour,armoured textile jacket,helmet and 300 buck leather gloves. It saved me a world of hurt.The chest plate in the body armour worked beautifully when my chest smashed out my own windscreen.My shins both got cut,right thru my boots.If I had runners on,most likely would have cut me to the bone.My helmet took at least 3 good shots.The padding in my motoX underwear probably saved my ballz from being hit real hard,and took away some of the shock to my tailbone.

I could go on and on...I'm this sites "original gear nazi".

But the topic bores most folk now,so I just mention when it is brought up by someone else.

One thing I always remember about folks riding in the heat.Revlis once mentioned what his father told him:
   Sometimes it is just too hot to ride. If you are way too uncomfortable to wear your gear in extreme heat....dont ride.

To each his own,I suppose. Hopefully,you'll never have to learn the hard way.

RSD.
Nothing wrong with being a "gear Nazi."

My mom used to get mad at me for being a "seatbelt Nazi" in our minivan.

I may be 17, but i realize you're pretty much toast without your belt(car) or gear(bike).

Life likes to catch us with our pants down, when you lax your guard, life will throw you down. "I just try not to give her the opportunity, fate can catch up, and she runs FAST!"
winkold.gif

Only thing I skimp on is my pants... Always in boots, gloves, armored jacket and lid....

Not sure about the rest but I am pretty uneasy if I do not have my gear on.. I am trying to find a good "over pant"

Only thing I skimp on is my pants... Always in boots, gloves, armored jacket and lid....    

Not sure about the rest but I am pretty uneasy if I do not have my gear on..  I am trying to find a good "over pant"
Try on a pair of Tourmaster Cortech waterproof overpants. The fit well over jeans, have good pockets and zippers and are really waterproof. Good hip and knee/shin armor too. Get (something) for your knees ASAP even if its a pair of knee/shin guards that velcro around your legs under your jeans. Your knees can take a terrible hit on a get off.

I ride DAILY to and from...and head, hands, upper, and feet get most protected.......this time of year I'm fully enveloped in CE Armor in "The SUIT", BUT then again during the warmer months I'm a fiend for Dainese....no kooky graphics, no nothin'...I'm ALL BUSINESS Brother....I'm representin' da' O-R-G...... and we have  
rulez8bn.gif
 of "conduct"

PS  Funny, but other riders get funny when I don't sit-up and start lookin' their ride over on the freeway...what's-up-with-that
rock.gif
?........ I keep my line, my eyes on what's up goin' on ahead......

PPSS My "favorite" riders are the newbs on the Harley's...they see me inching up behind and then start to wander from one side of the lane to the other......drive's ME NUTS.....
cursin.gif
PICK A SIDE and HOLD YOUR LINE....I'll stagger to accomodate.......for PETE'S SAKE...........
super.gif
super.gif
super.gif

Thank ya....thank ya very mushhhhh....(insert Elvis smiley)

super.gif

super.gif

only thing i skimp on is pants, jeans only. i also dont ride when its going to be above 88. that is my cut off temperature

Shoei helmet and full gear for me. I actually looked up info on helmets and as long as it has a DOT sticker it'll protect you. Numerous tests from different companies have proven such. The only thing that a good quality helmet is going to do is cut down air noise and give you more comfort.

As for my gear, everything upper body is leather. Jacket has a spine/shoulder pad plus the normal shoulder and elbow stuff. Fully armored gloves, not gonna lose my knuckles. JoeRocket pants and Icon over ankle boots...last thing I need is a broken ankle, and what good is armored shoes if they are ripped off your feet? Also my jacket has removable strips that reveal mesh airways for hotter travel, but I probably won't switch to a full mesh setup. I love leather protection too much.

I always look for SNELL approval on my helmets also. I understand they do a little more rigorous testing than DOT.

Well,
I wear Sidi Vertigos, JR GPX gloves, a Vanson Leather Jacket, ICON TIMAX, Dragin Jeans or ICON Recon jeans. I had a litle spill in April, and it seemed like all the damage was below the waist; I shudder to think about how I would have ended up had I not been wearing an armored riding suit. I think the reason that you see the posts after an accident is that the accident sort of reinforces the importance of the gear.

I low sided at 45 mph last spring when my fronts locked up and I had jeans on. It was not a pretty site.

I have to admit I did ride 1 time this summer in
just jeans and a t-shirt and I was not comfortable
I did ride less as the summer went on due to so
many crashes and my gear being so uncomfortable
in this GA. humidity. I always wear a lid and a
jacket but do dawn the jeans and I am trying to
remedy that with ballistic jeans ohh I always wear
motorcycle riding boots.

Back