those with HID get in here...

domestictuner

Donating Member
Registered
I was reading that the halogen projector is not very good for using HID in because of the glare that bleeds off of the light and ends up blinding other drivers. for those of you that have the HID conversions, how sharp is the cutoff on the beam? I am interested in getting the HID Conversion but do not want to get pulled over all the time for having "too bright" of lights.

Good Read--->

Quick question.. by halogen projector do you mean the whole busa headlight housing with the large reflector backdrop or the "HIGHBEAM" lens?

Now both answers. I dont know of too many people that researched HID as much as I have over the last few years. My answers are probably worthless however.

HID bulbs are designed with "BOTH" types of housings in mind. Reflector (our main large unit) and reflexed or LENS focused like our high beam. Yep we have both.

The Shape of our reflector (near diamond shaped) is almost perfect IMO. the sides concave back towards the center which forces all of the light forward so in a sense creates a directional spot light effect (in thought). The hid bulbs for our bikes with proper cut off are D2R or the new Ds series with modified cut off. If you were to look at the modified bulbs next to a stock you would see the filiment and the cut off are the same. So more light output at same crospol as stock so more forward light. Thats why it works so well. Now the highbeam is a little different considering the stock 3" lens is focused for a filiment bulb at 65 watts. More light creates more magnification at the wrong focal point. WHOLE LOT OF NOWHERE LIGHT!. Agin my .02 cents. Cant go wrong with the HID

JD

On my HID lowbeam, it focuses in the same place as the stock light, just more light. That's eyeballing it of course. When I'm behind drivers the light is focused up to about the keyhole of their trunk. Doesn't go in through the back window.

As far as cops, there are lots of cars with HIDs also and they would be getting pulled over if it was a prob. Of course the more color you put into the light the better the odds you'll be pulled over.

If I thought I'd be pulled over for my HID, I wouldn't have it installed.
Hope that helps.

oh yes you did
tounge.gif
when you were riding behind me at applechill .... I was damn near blind
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

and now that I have one I love it and would never go back
cool.gif

laugh.gif

Alright guys, tell me about what's required. Can I just put in the bulb, or is there some kind of high voltage transformer type rig involved? I could definately use more light. Comes with age I guess...

Alright guys, tell me about what's required.  Can I just put in the bulb, or is there some kind of high voltage transformer type rig involved?  I could definately use more light.  Comes with age I guess...
If you want to be cheap, you can install the eurobulbs,I wouldnt, they dont last long and HID'S are just plain COOL! Yeah there is a little box called the ballast thats involved. There will be two if you put HID'S in both the low and high beam, which I recommend, if you dont, and you turn your highs on, you have this IMO real cheesy yellowish lookin beam coming from the bottom and a pure white light coming from the lows. Some like the yellow look, I dont.

Thanks for the info nitrousjunkie. I'll look into it as soon as I locate that wad of cash that I misplaced...it's got to be around here somewhere...

I think xenon king has a special deal for board members, you'll have to PM Rythym for a password though.Its a good deal, and you wont be dissatisfied with the HID'S.:)

Back