This computer sucks.

shadetree57

Registered
It's probably not even a year old and when I start it up,it shuts down and I have to restart it. I'm not very sharp on computers but I can tell you one thing, If my wife can't get it fixed then I'll only be online at work. I have a SHOT GUN SHELL with Gateway written on it. I'm not the most patient person in the world and when I click on the net, I want results not a message or a shutdown. It's been a bad week and this doesn't help much. You guys are my vent and if I can't get on the org when I want, then I'm Pissed. OK, maybe I can sleep now. Youall have a good night and a better tomorrow.

I too have many a shell with HP written all over them, and many products that require said shelling. Yeah, my fuse is short when it comes to these things also.
I feel your pain.
Bubba

Last edited:
open it up and check for excessive dust. Might be shutting down due to overheating.

Take the side cover off and with enough like take a close look at the capicators and little parts on the board for signs or overheat...like they are discolored or the plastic covering on them is bubbeling up...try leaving the side cover off and placing a decent size fan aimed at the cpu...if it stays on longer or does not shut down at all...it probably would be a heat issue...

I was helping a friend with similar issues and her board was damaged due to heat...we reloaded the OS, replaced a fan inside...and was not worth putting more money into...if yours is still covered under waranty tell them whats going on and that you want a new box....save all you document/pics/other stuff before you take it in

If it's less than a year old is it not covered by warranty? I would be talking with Gateway and see what they can do for you.

I have "early vista" and I can't print a pic or anything from MS works, I can't even make a CD...... My tower has knuckle marks in it! Hope to run into Bill G. some day......................

If its not the cooling issue and your getting slow performance and just shutting down for no reason, try checking for virus's! Update your virus definitions. try this freeware program it works well, just google it!
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:thumbsup:

If the thing came up w/ a backup CD/DVD you can do that to restore it to the factory presets, bad thing is you'll normally lose all your info & settings etc... unless you can save them before it craps out every time.

Sounds like a memory problem to me. May have some bad sectors. Does it show the correct amount of ram?

it could be a whole shlew of things... get someone to open it or at least look at it

I have "early vista" and I can't print a pic or anything from MS works, I can't even make a CD...... My tower has knuckle marks in it! Hope to run into Bill G. some day......................

Update your "Vista" It's free! Vista is currently on SP2.
How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack

Also.. Usually you have a program that came with your Printer to print pics and such. Do you have something like Roxio or Nero to burn CD/DVD's. Lots of stuff is copyrighted and you need a "Special" program to remove it.

My last pc got the face kicked in and spiked on my floor. Mac's from here on out for home use. No problems with my mac almost a year still no lockups or freezeups.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks youall, I've settled down a bit now but I was POed last night. My niece works with computers where she works and she's gonna see what she can do with it. I think it may be some program my wife put in it pertaining to school but who knows. Besides, the way my luck is, my shotgun would probably break a firing pin when I tried to shoot it. Let's just :laugh: and be happy.

ugg purchasing a prebuilt computer from a company is kinda like buying a Moped with a Hayabusa sticker on the side of it at Bugatti prices. :banghead:

It has never made much sense to me.. build yer own or get a friend to build it for ya if you don't know how.. CAN save money, performs better and no proprietary crap involved.

and im on the hayabusa site.. why does this want me to correct the spelling. kinda funny dont ya think.:rofl:

Back