Thinking about pulling the trigger

Scooter Pilot

Registered
Thinking about getting the new Hayabusa and looking for some insight from the group. I have to admit, the new Busa has 'bitten' me...here's why:

Currently my main ride is a 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT. I bought this a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoy it. It's obviously significantly different than a Busa but has been a great ride. I am 50 years old and the Wing pulled me in when I found out all the new changes Honda made. May get some flak here, but the Wing was an 'old man's' bike. Many changes were made that 'sported' the bike up a lot. It pulled me in as a much younger than the typical Wing rider. I have used it on several long range rides and intend to do many more.

Now comes the new Gen 3 Hayabusa...this has kinda done the same thing the Goldwing did to me but from the other end of the spectrum. Whereas the Busa was a 'young man's' ride, Suzuki has apparently smoothed it out and sent bike to 'finishing school.' I think the new Busa is appealing to riders in my demographic and would be a nice addition to the Goldwing.

I have been doing my homework on the Hayabusa and watched nearly every YouTube video out there. Looking for opinions on why you have your Busa and how you use it. I can see some distance rides, but probably not multi-day distance rides as I would on the Goldwing.

What say you? Looking for opinions, insight or any thoughts to elaborate upon...

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

First of all, welcome....

As you have pointed out, the two bikes are vastly different...if you read the many threads on the Gen 3, you will note almost each and every one of them will be modified to make them more comfortable and have better performance. The Hayabusa of any generation is the most modified sport bike on the market.

Like all things, you are the one who will be riding it so really only you can decide.

First of all, welcome....

As you have pointed out, the two bikes are vastly different...if you read the many threads on the Gen 3, you will note almost each and every one of them will be modified to make them more comfortable and have better performance. The Hayabusa of any generation is the most modified sport bike on the market.

Like all things, you are the one who will be riding it so really only you can decide.
Thanks, comfort and smoothness are a couple of resounding terms I hear applied when referring to the Busa. This is certainly speaking to me. I personally can't see modifying for more power...I think the 186ish HP ought to do just fine for my riding preference!

Thanks, comfort and smoothness are a couple of resounding terms I hear applied when referring to the Busa. This is certainly speaking to me. I personally can't see modifying for more power...I think the 186ish HP ought to do just fine for my riding preference!
I suggest you go sit on one...it would be really awesome if you could log a little seat time but that is rare.

If you were closer to my home I would invite you to try my Busa ,see if the dealer has a used one you can try , I’m sure that would help you to decide.
yes welcome to the club . S I’m 73

E730661B-1E8C-4AA1-ABBE-E6741E736608.jpeg

Welcome! Three generations of Hayabusa from 1999-2022 and all with a varying draw. Initially, it was about the speed since it held the title for such a long time, but additionally the ability to transform it into a touring/long distance bike. It has a very long aftermarket scope which is quite appealing. Very little you cannot do with the Hayabusa and you will likely find information about it somewhere here on the forum.

Looking for opinions on why you have your Busa and how you use it. I can see some distance rides, but probably not multi-day distance rides as I would on the Goldwing.

@pashnit is a professional tour owner and leads multi-day tours on his 2008 blue beauty of a Hayabusa:

To @Bumblebee's points, because of its extreme versatility you will find a good variety of riders here drag racing, touring, and local riding. There are not too many here but there is also no shortage of stretched, more showy bikes made on this platform too.

I ride locally, 1-2 hours at a time. I love my sport tourers, the Hayabusa & the VFR. They are beautiful, super sporty, have nice flat torque curves, and while not Caddy-like they are the best balance of comfort and performance that a human can purchase.

Welcome! Three generations of Hayabusa from 1999-2022 and all with a varying draw. Initially, it was about the speed since it held the title for such a long time, but additionally the ability to transform it into a touring/long distance bike. It has a very long aftermarket scope which is quite appealing. Very little you cannot do with the Hayabusa and you will likely find information about it somewhere here on the forum.
+1

@pashnit is a professional tour owner and leads multi-day tours on his 2008 blue beauty of a Hayabusa:

To @Bumblebee's points, because of its extreme versatility you will find a good variety of riders here drag racing, touring, and local riding. There are not too many here but there is also no shortage of stretched, more showy bikes made on this platform too.

I ride locally, 1-2 hours at a time. I love my sport tourers, the Hayabusa & the VFR. They are beautiful, super sporty, have nice flat torque curves, and while not Caddy-like they are the best balance of comfort and performance that a human can purchase.
+1, especially Pashnit's posts and website

Busa engine is amazing, meaning durable, reliable, torque always available IMO w/out mods. Super easy DIY maintenance (except maybe the inside bleeders on fr brake).

I've done a few multi-day trips on my Gen 2 and find that my riding time tolerance happens to coincide with refueling, so just about the time I'm ready to take a break the bike needs gas (~2-ish hrs/140 mi).

In my experience, 9-hour days are doable (I'm older, fatter, and uglier at 65+ yrs) with something around 6 hrs being the sweet spot.

Pull the cowl, use the pillion as a platform for luggage. Motocamping? Maybe. I've taken my Gen2 through miles of dirt/ backcountry roads that challenge the bike's suspension but found an ADV is a better fit, naturally. And then there's the cleanup from trips like that. But hotel hopping? Busa excels.

Good luck with your search

I bought my white Gen 3 approximately 6 weeks ago, I’ve been 600 miles and love it. I’m new to this forum and any forum so forgive me if I do it wrong. I’m 60-1/2 on my 12th motorcycle, 2 previous ZX11,s. To me there’s nothing better than a sport tourer although I like all motorcycles. The gen 3 is loaded with features I like, The electronic riders aids are tops IMO. I have done 8 straight days in the mountains on a ZX11 coarse I was younger but I’m sure I can do a long ride on the gen 3 Busa.

+1

+1, especially Pashnit's posts and website

Busa engine is amazing, meaning durable, reliable, torque always available IMO w/out mods. Super easy DIY maintenance (except maybe the inside bleeders on fr brake).

I've done a few multi-day trips on my Gen 2 and find that my riding time tolerance happens to coincide with refueling, so just about the time I'm ready to take a break the bike needs gas (~2-ish hrs/140 mi).

In my experience, 9-hour days are doable (I'm older, fatter, and uglier at 65+ yrs) with something around 6 hrs being the sweet spot.

Pull the cowl, use the pillion as a platform for luggage. Motocamping? Maybe. I've taken my Gen2 through miles of dirt/ backcountry roads that challenge the bike's suspension but found an ADV is a better fit, naturally. And then there's the cleanup from trips like that. But hotel hopping? Busa excels.

Good luck with your search
Thanks Haya, I think your philosophy of use is similar to mine, I may want to pick your brain some more!

well scooter i looked at your honda. if you considering the gen 3 id have to agree with bumble bee comment on you bieng the rider. I am 52 and i picked up the gen 2 a year ago. I did see the gen 3 but i didnt like the seating, its taller then the gen 2,and less curvy, and i love my extra millage. With that bieng said id ask myself if i were you, what do you want to do with the gen 3? the honda will be way more comfortable then the busa and mileage cant compare, not sure on the hp or performance from shaft to chain either. if posable seat time would help alot, and if all fails id try for a ride on the gen 2 if one can be found, it wont give the exact seating feel but it will be close enough to see how the millage on your body would be for you. The stomach can realy get in the way in a tuck! and if you cant tuck or keep the legs bent like you would be on the busa, then it would lose it's luster real fast! As far as perfomance you wont want for more besides a motogp bike! hope this help

Welcome youngster. What does this mean?

”front seat with genuine Suzuki, when decals,”. Huh?
Store.suzukicycles.com offers genuine Suzuki add ons, I bought the taller windscreen and styled seat although I found these on eBay a little cheaper. The when decals was supposed to read wheel decals but spell check got me. Thanks for replying to my post.

Thanks Haya, I think your philosophy of use is similar to mine, I may want to pick your brain some more!
Normally, I'd say KY isn't that far to ride, but I got some other runs planned for the next few months. Otherwise you're welcome to take my '14 for a test run.
Sending you a PM:cool:

I've done 3 multi day trips on my 2015 ZX10. One 8 day road trip and two smaller 3 day road trips in 2020 and 2021. I got the Busa to be my main road trip bike. I'm keeping the ZX10 and I will most likely continue to do a trip on it here and there but the Busa is SO MUCH nicer for day+ rides. The seat, the ride by wire cruise, softer suspension, a fuel gauge, larger tank more distance. The seat is so much better, the pegs, that said we are coming from opposite ends of the spectrum and our perspectives will be very different.

Back