Thinkin its time to join up!

Navy Nuke Officer. I work with some of the most amazing people in the world. I have had a lot of fun, but also a lot of long and HARD days. But my job is awesome when you step back and look at it and one of deep pride.
Whatever you do, do not sign up for money. Do it for love of country and the desire to serve. Otherwise, you will hate every minute of it. I have seen it in many people.
I will also play devils advocate and say that this current government is NOT military friendly. In fact, it is anti military; and that sucks. Its hard for me to enjoy putting on the uniform some mornings with that in the back of my head.

The AF probably has it the best of all the services; rather than being stuck on a ship or in a mudhole or sandstorm, they mostly sit on a base with a runway and other very nice facilities. The best advice is to qualify for a job skill that has a corresponding civilian career making good money. Best of luck.

LOL getting out of security forces is a blessing. I've been doing it since 1998. Like everything else it is what you make of it. If its something you want to do I definitely say go for it. Your guaranteed at least 4yrs of steady employment, can get some money for school if that’s your thing, and will make some really good friends.

go for it, the way its going it may be the only secure job to have right now, just get everything in writing if they guarantee you something...:thumbsup:

Chair Force ... lol!!

On a serious note. Ill throw out some opinions in as unbiased a way as possible (coming from a Soldier)... Ive had quite abit of exposure to the different services in many joint operations and I have had members of each branch work directly for me in combat operations during the "surge" of 2006-2008.

Air Force- Air Force personnel that impressed me the most were the old school folks that were retiring soon and hated what their branch had become. All the other folks (including the Security Forces guys I had working for me for 6 months at a time in Iraq) were very unimpressive. Disciplinary problems and failure to understand that the mission comes first (before Xbox and Salsa Night at the MWR) were the major issues. This is not to say that the whole Air Force is messed up. All my interactions have led me to feel that it is not a disciplined and structured instition or fighting machine like the other branches. The Air Force of today seems to be quite a bit different than the Air Force of old. They have changed their philosophy and approach to dealing with service members to that of a corporation. Which is that everyone deserves to be treated very very well, don't stress them out much and they won't leave the service. This is a good way to think in my opinion except that in an instition that is supposed to be highly discplined and able to operate under stress - the two don't equal out from what I have seen.

Marines- Outstanding professionals for the most part. I have conflicting opinions about the Corps due to my experience with them in Western Iraq during the first years of the Iraq war. I was highly unimpressed by their 'ego' which got Marines killed. The ego prevented the Marine company level leadership from listening to the Army 'pukes' that had been on ground in the fight for months and months. I carried quite a few young kids on stetchers because of this and I have always had heart burn because of it. On the other hand, since then I have had three different Marines work with me. A little hard headed but had absolutely no problems with completing their duty before thinking of themselves. I highly respect the Marines I have been around in the past two deployments and their actions contributed greatly to the mission and .... well ... theyre hard asses and I like that.

Navy- I lived with a squid for a while and had a Navy Chief work on my team for almost 9 months last deployment. Super guys. Well trained and mission dedicated. I really felt that these folks had an idea of what was going on and were ready to make sure their weight was pulled. Always offering good solutions to problems and ready to work.

Army- Pick the right field to work in. The Army is a giant machine filled with people from all ends of the spectrum in terms of intelligence and personality. I consistantly meet people I think should have been placed in a microwave as a child but then I meet others who can move mountains in their sleep. A smart, self-motivated person can make a strong career in the Army with ease. The downside is that we carry the biggest load of all the services for land based combat operations. The other services don't even come close in that catagory. We typically deploy every other year for 12-18 months. We don't get the Air Force "perks" of nice living arrangements, short deployments and not being called 'maggots'.

My overall opinion is don't pick a service because of the perks. It's not worth having or doing if it isn't hard on you. Physical and emotional stress bring out the salt in you and pound for pound I think the Marine Corps or Army are the places to be.

I hope this helps and by all means... no matter what you pick.. its a nobel choice and you will be part of a very small and proud group of U.S. citizens that carry the responsibility of protecting a nation. And whether you are sitting behind a desk answering phones and taking memos for a flight crew, refueling water craft or out wading through trash filled streets in Baghdad collecting intel that brings down a terrorist cell; you are doing your part.

Last edited:
Chair Force ... lol!!

On a serious note. Ill throw out some opinions in as unbiased a way as possible (coming from a Soldier)... Ive had quite abit of exposure to the different services in many joint operations and I have had members of each branch work directly for me in combat operations during the "surge" of 2006-2008.

Air Force- Air Force personnel that impressed me the most were the old school folks that were retiring soon and hated what their branch had become. All the other folks (including the Security Forces guys I had working for me for 6 months at a time in Iraq) were very unimpressive. Disciplinary problems and failure to understand that the mission comes first (before Xbox and Salsa Night at the MWR) were the major issues. This is not to say that the whole Air Force is messed up. All my interactions have led me to feel that it is not a disciplined and structured instition or fighting machine like the other branches. The Air Force of today seems to be quite a bit different than the Air Force of old. They have changed their philosophy and approach to dealing with service members to that of a corporation. Which is that everyone deserves to be treated very very well, don't stress them out much and they won't leave the service. This is a good way to think in my opinion except that in an instition that is supposed to be highly discplined and able to operate under stress - the two don't equal out from what I have seen.

Marines- Outstanding professionals for the most part. I have conflicting opinions about the Corps due to my experience with them in Western Iraq during the first years of the Iraq war. I was highly unimpressed by their 'ego' which got Marines killed. The ego prevented the Marine company level leadership from listening to the Army 'pukes' that had been on ground in the fight for months and months. I carried quite a few young kids on stetchers because of this and I have always had heart burn because of it. On the other hand, since then I have had three different Marines work with me. A little hard headed but had absolutely no problems with completing their duty before thinking of themselves. I highly respect the Marines I have been around in the past two deployments and their actions contributed greatly to the mission and .... well ... theyre hard asses and I like that.

Navy- I lived with a squid for a while and had a Navy Chief work on my team for almost 9 months last deployment. Super guys. Well trained and mission dedicated. I really felt that these folks had an idea of what was going on and were ready to make sure their weight was pulled. Always offering good solutions to problems and ready to work.

Army- Pick the right field to work in. The Army is a giant machine filled with people from all ends of the spectrum in terms of intelligence and personality. I consistantly meet people I think should have been placed in a microwave as a child but then I meet others who can move mountains in their sleep. A smart, self-motivated person can make a strong career in the Army with ease. The downside is that we carry the biggest load of all the services for land based combat operations. The other services don't even come close in that catagory. We typically deploy every other year for 12-18 months. We don't get the Air Force "perks" of nice living arrangements, short deployments and not being called 'maggots'.

My overall opinion is don't pick a service because of the perks. It's not worth having or doing if it isn't hard on you. Physical and emotional stress bring out the salt in you and pound for pound I think the Marine Corps or Army are the places to be.

I hope this helps and by all means... no matter what you pick.. its a nobel choice and you will be part of a very small and proud group of U.S. citizens that carry the responsibility of protecting a nation. And whether you are sitting behind a desk answering phones and taking memos for a flight crew, refueling water craft or out wading through trash filled streets in Baghdad collecting intel that brings down a terrorist cell; you are doing your part.

Awesome post! :beerchug:

take someone with a military background to go with you when you sign up.

Yes, amazing how that changes things.

I dont have a problem with my son joining or not joining. dont really care one way or another.

I was in the Corp 9 years and I have worked for the DoD as a civilian for over 11 years.

A local Marine recruter kept calling the house wanting to talk with my 17 year old, he was never around. until last week he happened to catch him.

He kept my son on the phone for awhile asking him a lot of questions and wanting to set up and appointment to talk to him in person. I was standing there and I told him to let the recruiter know I was going to be there. the recruiter asked him if I had any military experiance and my son told him my brief background.

The recruiter never showed up for the appointment and hasnt called my son since. so I dont know what was up but if the recruiter had any issues with me being there because of my past military background them something wasnt right as far as I am concerned.

The short version is I agree 100%, if someone is going to talk to a recruiter take someone who is or was in the military, less chance you will be B.S'd

Back