The smell of gasoline

Spike

Donating Member
Registered
So yesterday I take a nice ride after filling 'er up and at one point I stopped at a stop sign and for a moment I smelled gas fumes. I blew it off, thinking it was a vehicle in front of me.

Again this morning it happened. I stopped at a stop light and as soon as I was fully stopped the smell hit me again, strong. There were no other cars around.

This was the same smell I used to get on my Carb'd bikes when I had the mixture too rich. Also on the 'Busa the end caps on my exhaust are black and sooty. I never gave it that much thought until now.

Should I be concerned?

I have a California 06 LE with no mods whatsoever. Well ok, I did the shovel mod;)

Thanks folks.

(Spike @ May 07 2007,05:06) So yesterday I take a nice ride after filling 'er up and at one point I stopped at a stop sign and for a moment I smelled gas fumes.  I blew it off, thinking it was a vehicle in front of me.

Again this morning it happened.  I stopped at a stop light and as soon as I was fully stopped the smell hit me again, strong.  There were no other cars around.

This was the same smell I used to get on my Carb'd bikes when I had the mixture too rich.  Also on the 'Busa the end caps on my exhaust are black and sooty.  I never gave it that much thought until now.

Should I be concerned?

I have a California 06 LE with no mods whatsoever.  Well ok, I did the shovel mod;)

Thanks folks.
I would look for a potential fuel leak. Fuel smell=fire hazzard. Is it running OK? There shouldn't be any noticable gunk inside the exhaust. Mine is dry with just a light coating of black dust.

sounds to me like your bike is running super rich. i too had a simialr problem with heavy gas smell and super sooty exhaust tips but cured it with a dyno tune. if u dont have a power commander, the OEM ECU can still be tuned using a Teka box. might be something worth looking into.

Good ideas guys, thank you. I did check for leaks when I got to work this morning but admittedly it was pretty dark. I didn't smell gas when I finally got to work and the thing runs great too.

I am a carburetor kinda guy so this EFI stuff is perplexing. I will have it checked for richness, thanks!

Do you fill the tank all the way to the top? If you do it could be gas running out the overflow tube.

Do you fill the tank all the way to the top? If you do it could be gas running out the overflow tube.

I had a California model CBR F4i before I traded up to the busa... every time i topped off the tank and filled it to much i would smell gas. Had to do with the extra emissions garbage they put on California model bikes. I'm not sure how the evap canister is routed on a busa but if its like the F4i you are probably filling up to much and getting a little over pressure which is going to cause your bike to vent or overflow gas. My .02's

Back