The Life of a Recruiter

(pashnit @ Jan. 04 2007,01:29) Okay, here's my recruiter story. I made the decision to join the Marine Corps and went to my local recruiter office.  I was told it was normal to wait 6-9 months to get into the Marine Corps. This was right after the first Gulf War.

How soon can you get me in I wanted to know? Didn't feel like waiting around.
Well, we have an opening for the MOS of Hygiene Equipment Operator.
Sounds good to me, had no idea what that was.
9 Days later I was in San Diego standing on the yellow footprints getting screamed at in the middle of the night. Had never been to California, knew nothing about nothing. Didn't even know where San Diego was on a map. NorCal, SoCal? Had no idea.
Fast forward through 3 months of boot camp and a month of Combat Training living out on the dirt in Camp Pendleton.
Arrive in Camp Lejune, North Carolina to go to MOS School.
Sergeant walks out, we'd just arrived.
Okay, who's color blind? No introductions, nothing.
I raised my hand. You, over here.
Okay you, you can't be a Hygiene Equipment operator. Huh?
You're colorblind, and these guys work with water purification stuff, ph tables, litmus paper, etc.
So... We're going to send you to a different school of your choice.
You can be Admin or Admin. Which one do you want?
Admin sounds mighty good I said.
The recruiter had glazed over this important fact, even though I'd failed the color blind test (90% of the spectrum) miserbly in MEPS.

So I went to school for 4 months to be a clerk for the Marine Corps.
I hated it, and eventually became a mechanic, then started my own driving school in my unit teaching Marines how to drive Hummers and 5-Tons. That was fun.

Got out in '99 permanently before all this craziness started. Lot of great memories! Good times.

Semper Fi.
I knew there was something I liked about you. Ohh Rahh!

Back