The Life of a Recruiter

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
Yup, it is 0030 and I am at work. Getting ready to head out on a 7 hour round trip. Why you may ask? There are recruiters who care for nothing but the numbers. Here in my office we care about the kids. I am driving this kid to MEPS, so that he doesn't miss anymore work than he has to. 17 years old w/a 17 year old wife and a baby, AND they are both still in high school with GPAs of better than a 3.0. They both work 40 hours a week as well.

The difference between being a good recruiter and a great recruiter is when a person really decides who they are doing the job for.

Don

Semper Fidelis, Don. Semper Fidelis.

way to go
beerchug.gif

Okay, here's my recruiter story. I made the decision to join the Marine Corps and went to my local recruiter office. I was told it was normal to wait 6-9 months to get into the Marine Corps. This was right after the first Gulf War.

How soon can you get me in I wanted to know? Didn't feel like waiting around.
Well, we have an opening for the MOS of Hygiene Equipment Operator.
Sounds good to me, had no idea what that was.
9 Days later I was in San Diego standing on the yellow footprints getting screamed at in the middle of the night. Had never been to California, knew nothing about nothing. Didn't even know where San Diego was on a map. NorCal, SoCal? Had no idea.
Fast forward through 3 months of boot camp and a month of Combat Training living out on the dirt in Camp Pendleton.
Arrive in Camp Lejune, North Carolina to go to MOS School.
Sergeant walks out, we'd just arrived.
Okay, who's color blind? No introductions, nothing.
I raised my hand. You, over here.
Okay you, you can't be a Hygiene Equipment operator. Huh?
You're colorblind, and these guys work with water purification stuff, ph tables, litmus paper, etc.
So... We're going to send you to a different school of your choice.
You can be Admin or Admin. Which one do you want?
Admin sounds mighty good I said.
The recruiter had glazed over this important fact, even though I'd failed the color blind test (90% of the spectrum) miserbly in MEPS.

So I went to school for 4 months to be a clerk for the Marine Corps.
I hated it, and eventually became a mechanic, then started my own driving school in my unit teaching Marines how to drive Hummers and 5-Tons. That was fun.

Got out in '99 permanently before all this craziness started. Lot of great memories! Good times.

Semper Fi.

MarineM60.jpg

(USN05LE @ Jan. 04 2007,00:45) "The difference between being a good recruiter and a great recruiter is when a person really decides who they are doing the job for."

Don
bowdown.gif
beerchug.gif

i wouldn't expect you to be any less in the other parts of your life than you are here
beerchug.gif
thanks for helping our next generation of protectors

That is very refreshing to see. A recruiter that actually does the job the way its supposed to be done.

My recruiter went through hell and back trying to get me in. I didn't graduate high school until after I had already been in the fleet for over a year (had to drop out and help pay the bills at home). Was 2 credits shy of the college requirements but since he did need the numbers he found a way to get me in. There are actually some decent proffessional liars out there!

I was the golden 5% that a recruiter in minnesota dreams of: walk in during senior year of high school into the DEP program, minority(korean born naturalized citizen) with a asvab score of 94, no record, no drugs, or alcohol, and don't smoke. he wanted me to put into the nuc program I said "no thanks." he still made me take the nuc entrance test which I failed miserably intentionally, and then went my way towards the AT rating.
My recruiter was straight up and I thanked him for that, (I guess it helped my dad was prior navy) with me other than the nuc issue, but I can't blame 'em. they always need nuc's and I would have made it through the school.

(pashnit @ Jan. 04 2007,01:29) Okay, here's my recruiter story. I made the decision to join the Marine Corps and went to my local recruiter office.  I was told it was normal to wait 6-9 months to get into the Marine Corps. This was right after the first Gulf War.

How soon can you get me in I wanted to know? Didn't feel like waiting around.
Well, we have an opening for the MOS of Hygiene Equipment Operator.
Sounds good to me, had no idea what that was.
9 Days later I was in San Diego standing on the yellow footprints getting screamed at in the middle of the night. Had never been to California, knew nothing about nothing. Didn't even know where San Diego was on a map. NorCal, SoCal? Had no idea.
Fast forward through 3 months of boot camp and a month of Combat Training living out on the dirt in Camp Pendleton.
Arrive in Camp Lejune, North Carolina to go to MOS School.
Sergeant walks out, we'd just arrived.
Okay, who's color blind? No introductions, nothing.
I raised my hand. You, over here.
Okay you, you can't be a Hygiene Equipment operator. Huh?
You're colorblind, and these guys work with water purification stuff, ph tables, litmus paper, etc.
So... We're going to send you to a different school of your choice.
You can be Admin or Admin. Which one do you want?
Admin sounds mighty good I said.
The recruiter had glazed over this important fact, even though I'd failed the color blind test (90% of the spectrum) miserbly in MEPS.

So I went to school for 4 months to be a clerk for the Marine Corps.
I hated it, and eventually became a mechanic, then started my own driving school in my unit teaching Marines how to drive Hummers and 5-Tons. That was fun.

Got out in '99 permanently before all this craziness started. Lot of great memories! Good times.

Semper Fi.
Awsome story!! I remember the bus ride and remember thinking and questioning why everything in the Corp belonged to the DI!! Semper Fi!!

If you don't want to stand behind our servicemen, then stand in front of them!!!
beerchug.gif

I have lots of friends with prior service. The one I admire the most is a Seawolf Nam Era. The Marines always tell the best stories. Sand Gnat Funerals at Paris Island, to damn funny. And I can listen to them for hours on end.

Thanks to all of you. Is that two r's ? Once you hit the yellow footprints it's over.
beerchug.gif

I've heard way more horror stories about recruiters than good stories, to be sure.

Glad you're doing good things for people. 'Tis STILL the season, as always.

--Wag--

Back