The L.A. Hayabusas

Aussie-
California's Motorcycle driving portion is a pain in the a$$. A smaller bike would be a great idea. I took mine on an old 700cc Suzuki (GSE) and it was still tough.

Bert Branson
The L.A. Hayabusas

Guys-
I'm going to Vegas on Saturday to get my Recall tweak done. It's the only friggin' place that will do it. Do you know any closer places?? Drop me a line.

Bert Branson

Aussie, I took the driving test with my ZX-11 and made it!! If you come to the meeting on Melrose I can show you what to do. Also I can show you where the MSF gives riding classes and on weekday mornings you can go there to practice for the DMV test. I did it and it worked for me.

The test is hard but you gotta show them you can handle the beast. I remember one guy had a BMW with antilock and he got screwed up and failed, lol. Size of bike doesn't matter, skill does.

Bert, I just called Hollywood Honda and they will do mine this Thursday (323) 466-7191. they will do 108 / 109 and the cam tensioner service, they got the parts.

Maybe you can take it in this Saturday. They are not that far from where we meet on Melrose.

Cya

Aussie,if you take a certified motorcycle class in California you don't have to do the driving test only the written test and you have to bring the certificate to the DMV.Make sure you check with the class you sign up with first.I think it cost $150 or $250 for the class.Good Luck.

Heya Cisco San Jose,

I should let you know my position ... I am what I consider to be an experienced rider ... I have worked in a bike shop in Australia for 6 years, was a inner-city motorcycle courier for 4 years and have raced and ridden road bikes for over 15 years (mainly 250 proddy) ... I know I can ride a bike BUT I have to go for your practical to get a California Lisense.

I really don't want to fork out $180 (which I was quoted) to do a course for basic skills, and also they are all booked out months in advance! (see I did try to ring)

Yukko ... put it this way ... if you have a lisense and you come over to Australia, we will make you do the written but NOT the practical, just for road rules atc.

Thanks anyway!
Aussie Abroad

Bert's finally got the Recall info. I'm dropping her off at 09:00 on Saturday. Hopefully she'll be done by 13:00 so i can drop by the Crazy. See you bums Saturday!

Bert Branson
The L.A. Hayabusas

Aussie, I hope I can make it up to the Stir Crazy...it would be cool to meet up with you guys. I lived at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra for a couple months in 1994 and fell in love with the land Down Under. Hope to trade some war stories.

[This message has been edited by Mr Bear (edited 15 October 1999).]

Sat. 10-15-99 LAs's first "Lobster Bisque" Ride. Join us as we proceed "en-masse"
to a local restaurant. Meet at 2:00pm @ Stir Crazy 6917 Melrose. Lets get some pictures.
ducmanic
Los Angeles

This sucks...mechanical failure on the way to work last night will cause a no-show this weekend. It's a little bit embarrassing, my kick-it-down-to-third and hit redline up the hill on 163 before my exit led to an unexpected loss of thrust. Wonder how far that master link flew. Very luckily my drive chain dropped clean...no damage. I've never had that happen before.

I will definitely make it up there to do the Stir Crazy thing, but I'll be wrenching tomorrow afternoon...I've got a prior committment in the morning.

On the bright side, I got an extra workout by running the last couple miles to work; still got there on time! One thing is obvious though...drive chain's worn out, time to buy that new bike!!

We just had a earthquake in LA-Not bad enough to knock over my busa though-Guess i'll have to go check the ducati's with the spring loaded stands-Last one totaled my Monster.

ducmanic
Los Angeles

Hey Duc-
Out here it was pretty bad. Stuff fell off the walls and my car kept banging into the garage door! The SOB was moving like 2 freakin' feet! The only reason I know that, is because I was on the Busa (holding her up in my underwear!) hoping the damn quake would pass! See you later today.

Bert Branson
Mojave

Hey, great get-together! I doubt if any other listers have assembled such an awesome collection of Busas: 20 cylinders, 900 hp!

Let's do a ride sometime....

Glad to know nobody got hurt in the shaker. Specially you Bert and Leslie, I know you guys live close to the epicenter.

Mr. Bear you can always meet us next time. Fix the bike soon.

In the meantime you can check today's happenings at Stir Crazy and Hamburger Hamlet, where he had dinner.

Sorry it took me a while to put it together, but I wanted to make it right. I really enjoyed it. If you guys want an unedited version of today's meeting bring me a blank VHS tape next time and I wil transfer it for you, total time is about 16 minutes or so, with photos and video included.

Here is the link, enjoy.

http://homepages.msn.com/WindowsWay/waltnova/

Thanks, Waltman...I grabbed my old chain up off the middle of the freeway after work Friday nite and put it back on to get the bike home yesterday. Everything works okay, but it definitely went out of there with some force. There are some divots in the aluminum of the cases around the countershaft sprocket, with fresh metal shavings in the built-up chain lube muck around there. That could have been catastrophic. An endless chain is more of a hassle to install than one with a master link, but I suddenly have a lower opinion of master links.

I'll catch up with you guys. Thanks for the photos...sounds like a good time was had by all.

Well it was great to finally meet you guys.

What a great bunch!! I look forwards to meeting up again on a Saturday and going for a ride sometime.

Thanks Ducmanic for your kind offer ... I will let you know how I go persisting with what I currently have.(and a little practice)

Aussie.

Back