The kid with the golden spoon-

GPW

Donating Member
Registered
We have all heard stories of the kid who had everything handed to them but lacked motivation, drive and the will to win. This thread is for the guys that grunted it out admist life's ups and downs. Whats your story and what motivated you to succeed when the cards were not in your favor?

Grew up dirt poor and raised to work in furniture mills in NC. Always worked hard regardless of what was going on. What choice does anyone have. Quiting is for losers.
super.gif

Never get boostful though, because life always has a shid sandwich waiting on ya.

This may be touchy for some, I will say that I grew up in a dysfunctional family with an alcoholic abusive dad and a mentally beaten mother.

We lived week to week on a mechanics salary.

I have gotten everything through my values and work ethic.

I have no trust fund, little family, and the fight isn't over and I am not tired.

Helen Keller
Helen Keller (1880-1968) was quite possibly the most remarkable person ever to grace our planet. Left deaf and blind as a result of a childhood illness at the age of 19 months, Helen Keller nevertheless became an articulate spokesperson for the dignity of all individuals.

(heavybusa @ Feb. 01 2007,20:21) This may be touchy for some, I will say that I grew up in a dysfunctional family with an alcoholic abusive dad and a mentally beaten mother.

We lived week to week on a mechanics salary.

I have gotten everything through my values and work ethic.

I have no trust fund, little family, and the fight isn't over and I am not tired.
super.gif

"Keys to success... Research your idea, Plan for success, Expect success, & just plain do it! It amazes me how many people skip the last step! Practice being a "doer" and success will follow you every step of the way!" -- Josh S. Hinds

"If you want your life to be a magnificent story, then begin by realizing that you are the author and everyday you have the opportunity to write a new page" -- Mark Houlahan

To me everything in life is just a test and I will pass ! I didn't have a bad life and wasn't brought up with alot but you don't need Things don't make you happy . You make your own future. I did 3 years in the pen (got cought in the wrong palce with an idiot I knew) and came out 100% better for it . My life is going great now that I have focus . I want to be better for my kids and a great example for my grandkids.

My favorite:

Thomas Edison: Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

(frisbee @ Feb. 01 2007,20:36) To me everything in life is just a test and I will pass ! I didn't have a bad life and wasn't brought up with alot but you don't need  Things don't make you happy . You make your own future. I did 3 years in the pen (got cought in the wrong palce with an idiot I knew) and came out 100% better for it . My life is going great now that I have  focus . I want to be better for my kids and a great example for my grandkids.
super.gif

I personally remember growing up wondering when the rollar coaster was going to stop, it took 22 years. Without sports giving me a release for lets say my violent tendencies who knows. Like Frisbee said sometimes your best competition is the challenge you place on yourself.

ok lets tell a great story

Grew up poor moved out at 16 lived on my own my aunt tried to help bought my first bike and have had it rough the whole time. Went in the military and tried to help my aunt gave her half my pay for stff since she helped me out then got out been tryin to make it since. The only thing that helps me out is that i know in my heart i can build it or drive it. i mmight not be the smartest but big guys always carry big sticks

I was 1 of 4 kids,we grew up poor...I got the free lunch program and the peanutbutter and cheese lets not forget the SPAM either!!
We never owned a car,a house and when the rent went up,we hadda move.
I and my siblins were physically beat to black and blue,as my parents were Jehovas Witnesses and somehow this seemed ok to do. At 19 I still had no idea what I was going to do in life to be on my own.I worked in an Autobody shop for 6 months,broke my back in a car accident,and didnt return to the trade.
I ended up getting into the machine shop business (knowing nothing about it) and 23 yrs later,I do all the cnc programming for over 30 machines.I also engineer our products and build tooling to make the products.

I own my own house (11 yrs left on mtg) have 3 motorcycles,a brand new boat in 2002 my health and 2 awesome little kids that I love to death....
My wife is starting to come around now seeing that she was diagnosed with severe depression.
I make good money at my job,and have earned everything I got.
Nothing was ever given to me.I believe in giving an honest days work to anyone who employs you.I have no time for any lazy bastids...
I never wanted kids in fear of doing what was done to me,but when I look into their eyes,I dont ever see that happening.Never!

I do admit that I still have a mean streak in me,but I'm working on it.
My goal now is to give my kids a way to be educated and be sucessful in life as I am.
beerchug.gif

same for me, i grew up poor, father was an alcoholic for most of his life. lived in a trailer, started to work at 15 years old, mother was saint,the lord took her in 1982, i raised my younger brother from then on. my father caught cancer , but got his life straight with the lord, he died in 1991. put myself threw two years of college which i threw that away. i have keep myself working hard all my life, since 1999 i have finally got to the point of small success . now then thanks to God i am blessed beyond anything i ever dreamed of.
i use my life growing up as a reminder to me what its like to be poor and broke, it has made me a better man and i thank God that i was brought up that way.
it gives you a clarity on life. of course the greatest gift God has given me other than health is my wife.............

I didn't grow up rich, nor poor. Just working class. We shopped at the Goodwill some years, and at Penney's some years. There were times my parents, my brother and I ate on $20 a week. There were times we had steak.

I was taught to do the best you can with the situation you are in...

I applaud you all..
beerchug.gif
Rock on with your bad selves!!
super.gif

some great stories....way to get my day motivated in the morning vfs. negative stuff....keep pushing the rock people.....thats what it is all about.
super.gif

Like LadyHawk, I grew up neither rich nor poor.  My Father was in the Air Force for 30 years so we moved quite a bit and learned to adjust. Both my parents are good people, not necessarliy the best parents but good people nonetheless. I was taught from early on that if you want something work for it. My father NEVER gave me anything. He learned the hard way (1 of 10 siblings) and wanted me to do the same.  I have worked hard my whole life! Just have a high school education, but make over 6 digits a year.  I do not let this change my work or personal ethics. I still work 12+ hours a day, try to spend quality time with my kids (something I never got growing up).  

I truly believe that common sense and unstoppable work ethics will get you anywhere in life. I am living proof. Also, I do not want to forget the most important thing in any of this... I thank GOD everyday for my family, morals, ethics, common sense and LIFE!

(ToyKraz @ Feb. 02 2007,08:39) Also, I do not want to forget the most important thing in any of this... I thank GOD everyday for my family, morals, ethics, common sense and LIFE!
smile.gif
tru dat
biggrin.gif

Back