The clutch won't hold!

I'm new to lock ups guys. If I install a centrifical style star type lock up on my turbo 14 for street use.....am I going to lose the ability to use my clutch at higher rpm's? If I give it a healthy squeeze is it going to self destruct or what? I don't want clutch slipping with 270hp....but I also want a working clutch when I need it at all rpm's ;) BTW I won't be drag racing or doing aggressive launching...just street style roll ons :)

I'm new to lock ups guys. If I install a centrifical style star type lock up on my turbo 14 for street use.....am I going to lose the ability to use my clutch at higher rpm's? If I give it a healthy squeeze is it going to self destruct or what? I don't want clutch slipping with 270hp....but I also want a working clutch when I need it at all rpm's ;) BTW I won't be drag racing or doing aggressive launching...just street style roll ons :)
you should be fine
but youd have to roll off the throttle first before squeezing the clutch
its something youll have to get used to for the first few times you use it

you should be fine
but youd have to roll off the throttle first before squeezing the clutch
its something youll have to get used to for the first few times you use it
Thanks Pinky thats awesome advice...just what I was looking for :beerchug:
I bought the lock up without knowing exactly how they work...shoulda did my research first ;) I was thinking maybe I made a mistake :banghead: I was told I should get the lock up with the 8psi kit on the 14's stock clutch...so I went with it. I was considering leaving it off....but I'm just going to go with your suggestion, and modify my shifting abit :beerchug:

if its with shifting just go without using the clutch
just kill the throttle a bit and lift up on shift at that same time you blip the throttle
it will shift with no issues (another thing that youll need to do some small adjusting)

we use the hd ape springs and held under big hp no issues..your clutch itself may need repalcing,we have decent pricing on all oem stuff..

Call me if you have any clutch issues,i'll see what we can come up with for your issues..I may even have it here...

503-663-3278

Last edited:
I have 23k miles on my busa now and the original clutch is slipping under boost. It has seen everything from wheelies down the blocks to 3 years of street and strip recing.I admit these bikes have the strongest clutches that I have ever seen. I have the clutch mod and mps HD springs. The bike is ridden at least 6 days a week. I'm planning on installing fresh plates soon, I think that I'll shim the springs this time and add a slave support. How much should I shim the springs? The bike Dynoed 277 hp @ 10#s of boost last year now its pushing 13#s. How much power can the clutch hold before a lockup is needed.

I just read this post. I would like to add some info as well.

We have had several Busa's come in the shop (including my very own Turbo Busa) with the very inner clutch fiber being shreaded to the aluminum. We have found this to be an issue on Turbo bikes or NOS bikes with the welded mod and no lockup. I recommend to not run the welded mod on high HP bikes unless you have a lockup. That is just my recommendation to the bikes that roll thru my shop.

Now to the original discussion. I run a 100% stock clutch with 3 HD springs on a > 300+ HP Busa with no problems. I weigh 235 lbs before I put on the first piece of leather. I get consistant 1.45 - 1.48 60's with no problems so I know it can be done on the stock clutch setup. If you got the money get you a lockup. I love the one on my 12 but I dont think it is necessary.

DJ:beerchug:

Busa_HRP.jpg

Last edited:
What is the name of your shop, I'm working in central La. now but I work in Tx. sometimes too. I bring my bike to every job location.I could always use some connections .

Back