That's it- I need a road trip...

Anatar

Registered
I've never been to the southwest, but I can't shake the feeling that I need to be there. The route I forsee is south from the WV panhandle, down the Blue Ridge Parkway to Cherokee, NC, then west and eventually back again.

For anyone who knows, is this a good time of year for a road trip to the Grand Canyon region? The weather patterns I've found online tend to contradict each other, and I don't trust them.

Are campgrounds open year-round in that area? If I ride out there I would prefer to camp as often as possible.

Thanks for any and all input!

Forgot to post the pic I shot today.
Damn, I love that orange/black!

097.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
love the pic, orange and black really looks good
get to Atlanta and go west on I-20 to Dallas, then 287 North to Amarillo, then I-40 West to Flagstaff, then 89 North to Canyon. Should be best bet for good/warmer weather. Good luck, will be a nice trip, pics don't do the Canyon justice. :beerchug:

End of Oct brings some pretty nippy temps to the desert southwest.. Day riding is all but required unless you have some pretty warm gear.. (I discourage night rides in the mountains of the southwest at night anyway due to "critters" ranging from Elk to some reptiles that are still not hibernating yet).. Still some good riding time left but snow is not far away for the Grand Canyon.. (not to mention it gets wicked cold there at night)

Can not give you any recent camp ground advice but the KOA's are everywhere and most of the national parks have camping (a lot of empty stuff this time of year usually)

I would say "get a move on" if you are doing this in 2008...

Routes? too many to list but I would put salt river canyon on the agenda as well as most of northern AZ and my favorite... "Monument Valley" is about as humbling as the Grand Canyon.. It is an epic ride (and a lot of miles) :) lots of boring stuff getting there is all...

Make sure you have plenty of warm gear. It gets VERY cold out this way at this time of year. Flagstaff gets snow and a LOT of it. Electric gear would be ideal.

I wouldn't push it. Wait until May.

If you do decide to roll out, stop in Albuquerque and visit!

--Wag--

Damn, I wouldn't have thought it got quite so chilly there in winter. Thanks a lot for the warnings- I guess it's the Keys or nothing until spring!

For anyone who knows, is this a good time of year for a road trip to the Grand Canyon region?

Anatar - I did the south rim of the Grand Canyon on the bike a few years back and it was 19 degrees out. Never bothered to look at what the elevation was on the South Rim. Duh. Just plain froze. :laugh:

Flagstaff will easily get snow this time of year. Go to Robinsville next week
Keys to far away and no "Dragon" :laugh:

:thumbsup:

I've been searching for some details on the Fall Bash 08, but haven't been able to piece it all together. Can someone please direct me to the right thread or pass me the info directly?

Thanks!

Northern AZ is going to be cold, especially in the evenings and early mornings.

If you need to be in AZ, come on over to Phoenix or Tucson. You can expect the temps to drop into the 50's at night this time of the year.

There's plenty of places to camp, and probably a few couches, garages, and showers available :whistle:

I've been searching for some details on the Fall Bash 08, but haven't been able to piece it all together. Can someone please direct me to the right thread or pass me the info directly?

Thanks!

Fall Bash had already past when you posted this. The next big one is Spring '09. Also check into the Biscuit bash.

Biscuit Bash?

Sounds great, if the weather holds. All I'd need is two trees from which to hang my hammock and a bar. I rode the length of the BRP on my DRZ last year and had a blast- riding the 'Busa will be heavenly.

Odd that the last (and first) time I passed through that area was as a prospective Appalachian Thru-hiker in 2006. There was a neverending echo of bikes whizzing through the gaps, and not long after walking out of the Walasi-Yi Center I heard that someone on a cycle had died.

I'd love to go next week, weather permitting. Gotta get one more good road trip in before I put my darling in storage.

Well many of the roads there are not very forgiving of poor skills or getting in over your head...

Rule #1 "ride your own ride" do not step outside your comfort zone and do not let anyone push you there...

We also picked up another coming in from Buffalo NY..

Back