Tell me everything you know or have heard about LED headlight bulbs....

GsxrBots

Motorboatin' Moonpies, Gangnam Style
Registered
A few years ago I switched to HID headlights in my Gen 2 thanks to GixxerHP and a rainy day at the Spring Bash. :laugh:

I love the light. I mean love it...

But now I'm living out in the country roads and I've been missing having a high beam that actually lights up the road instead of the sky. Been really thinking about checking out LED headlights and am looking for real world advice.

Anyone run them? I know I'm not going to get HID light output but the draw on the bikes charging system, less worry of electrical interference, etc is very intriguing.

Anyone?

Not on the busa but put 10watt fog leds on my wing they are very bright and have them on during the day mostly to be seen at night on there own they do light up the road a little :thumbsup:

Yeah I pretty much did the same thing. Had HID in low beam but on back roads I wanted more illumination so I ordered a set of motorcycle fog lights. They mount down on the lower forks so it puts light just where I needed it :thumbsup:

I really like the idea of LED headlihts... Have just heard a lot about where the filiment is on a standard bulb being very specific for the reflectors best performance and how the LED bulbs do not match...
So they seem quite impressive looking at the bulbs lit up but not as impressive as to how they light the roads...
So I am currently hesitant to do this mod. :suspect:

(Talking about LED bulb replacements ... )

I run 50 watt HID's in the stock high and low beam housings on the Busa. I modified the stock head light to correct the high beam aim with the HID installed. I also run Clearwater Darla lights on my fork legs. The LED are on a dimmer when on low beam and go to full power with the high beam on. This setup is very bright on low beam and extremely bright on high beam it's puts plenty of light down the road while lighting up everything from ditch to ditch.

On my KLR I run a H4 LED replacement, so I retain the high and low beam function.

Some of the led retro kits use a cooling fan on the back of the bulb to keep the circuit board cool. The fan is outside the housing. Seems prone to failure to me.

Cycle Gear had their LED kits on sale earlier in the winter so I figured "what the hell". Had to modify the back of the housing for it to fit so I don't recommend it for the Busa. On the other hand, it's very bright and there doesn't seem to be an issue with where it sits in the reflector. We'll see how robust it is as the season progresses.

We installed a set of LED low beam in maps bike, so far I think he has been happy with it. Was thinking about possibly switching from HID to LED myself.

O use a 55w hid bixen projector very bight and I can switch between high or low beam. Super bight and puts the light on the road and does t blind everyone.

Cycle Gear had their LED kits on sale earlier in the winter so I figured "what the hell". Had to modify the back of the housing for it to fit so I don't recommend it for the Busa. On the other hand, it's very bright and there doesn't seem to be an issue with where it sits in the reflector. We'll see how robust it is as the season progresses.

Does the Cycle Gear kit have a fan?

Thanks guys. Still researching. Possibly might try to shim the HID bulb.

i currently run a 55w hid in the low, but am also wanting something for a high, ill be interested on what you decide on and results.

Back