tecnique vs mods

busaguy

Registered
after reading a article in cycles sportbike 2003 wher the y take you through mods (tuning day) from 200$ to the tune of 10,400$ with a professional tuner on a stock 750 gixer .
lap times 1.29 begining and ending 1.24 . I"m thinking mods are overly exagerated , and my time would be better spent on improving rider tecnique. though i never hear anybody talking much about that? so i thought this would be a good place to start as improving rider techniques will give you better times than mods how about your imput

Very few people can actually ride close to or at the full potential of their bikes, so yes riding style could help you out a lot. But the quick and kind of easy way to get there is with the mods. Or if you are going for a specific goal ( high end speed ) then mods will out weigh style. Just get to know the bike and then start modding to fit your style the best way

I agree learn how to ride first,on the track of course then make mods as you get better.Try keping the same line for several laps.

:-)  Gotta smile at this one...  The mod's I do are mainly to make the Busa my own, not for extra HP or top end.  Some mey end up with a little extra here and there, but it is not my major intent.

Learn to ride well (no such thing as safely) and we all get better.

firedevil.gif
My Busa Pages
firedevil.gif
Has the hump/handrail mod on it. If ya live in the SF Bay Area, I could show it to ya in person and even do the mod for ya ($$ negotiable
drink.gif
)

firedevil.gif

:-)  Gotta smile at this one...  The mod's I do are mainly to make the Busa my own, not for extra HP or top end.  Some mey end up with a little extra here and there, but it is not my major intent.

Learn to ride well (no such thing as safely) and we all get better.

firedevil.gif
My Busa Pages
firedevil.gif
Has the hump/handrail mod on it. If ya live in the SF Bay Area, I could show it to ya in person and even do the mod for ya ($$ negotiable
drink.gif
)

firedevil.gif

vincent and jetset have it right for getting down the road or track. Barnes and Nobles carries a number of books on technique. Practice safely, preferably during a track day. corroded alien has it in terms of attaining a higher level of busaness.

Read Keith Code's " Twist of the Wrist". Great info that is mainly for racing but translates extremely well to street riding also.

I'm thinking mods are overly exagerated , and my time would be better spent on improving rider tecnique.
All depends on what kind of riding you do.
I'm spending money on looks and going fast in a straight line.
Most of us will never outride this bikes ability.
I do like carving up the twisties though........I bought better tires, and that will be the extent of modifying for cornering.....cuz I'm not Ben Bostrom.

I agree that all the mods you can do won't help if you don't know the right technique. You DO need to have a good basic setup for your suspension that's right for your weight and the kind of riding you do.

Most of the mods I do are for BLINGAPPEAL. Though I've got a couple of performance mods in place and a few more to come. But I'm religious about developing and practicing my technique on the street ... Practicing the figure 8, swerves, countersteering, looking through the turns, and I just started reading Twist of the Wrist II. Heck all the mods in the world aint gonna help you if you don't know what to do when somethings goes wrong.. Or as an instructor once told me, "MOST BIKERS DON'T RUN OUT OF ROAD IN THE CURVES, THEY RUN OUT OF SKILLS".

There is simply no better mod than getting a track day. The amount you learn about you and your bike in one day blows away anything else you can buy. I have had only one myself. I wish I could afford more.

Buying tires is a smart thing too. A good tire will boost confidence twofold. I really recomend getting some good dot race tires if you gonna do a track day. I also feel better with them on the street, as long as the weather is hot 75f and up. If it cools down or rains get ready for high side city.

Suspension set up will make a huge diff too, and it's basically free.

So I say teqnique is better than mods, but you should have some basic mods done.

yea i hear that, i can drive my self buggy in suspension set up constant changing roads .seems like i got to try every thing wrongf first to get it right. plus i hear you havent felt handling untill you try a track day with some track tires but for me there no more adrelin rush then setting up into a corner a little faster than the last time running a nice line and charging out much better than straight line running whats a good tire for the street that i might notice some better hooking up and resonable amout of tread life?

yea i hear that, i can drive my self buggy in suspension set up constant changing roads .seems like i got to try every thing wrongf first to get it right. plus i hear you havent felt handling untill you try a track day with some track tires but for me there no more adrelin rush then setting up into a corner a little faster than the last time running a nice line and charging out   much better than  straight line running   whats a good tire for the street that i might notice some better hooking up  and resonable amout of tread life?
Anything would be better than the bt56's that come on these bikes. I am fond of pilot sports. It's a good street tire. I had a set of 208gp's on my R1. Good god were those tires awesome. I would probably buy the pilot race tires instead of the 208gp's next time. If you do a track day definatley get some race tires. They work GREAT on the street too.(warm and no rain of course)

Why not try to drum up a set of race take off's to run on the street for a while and see what you think of them. You will be amazed. Race tires wear out pretty quick. Especially if you like to wheelie. You can get two sets of take off's for the cost of one set of new street tires.

I guess heat cycling is a concern with race take off's. I would not worry a whole lot. Just find a good set.

The r1 responded VERY well to 180 rear too. How about the bus???

Back