TD Ameritrade

Question: Would you say on average that the money you do make is because of a large number of shares, or a sizeable gain in a stock that you have a few shares in.

Example 1000 shares of $1.00 stock that increase one dollar or
100 shares of something that increases ten dollars

I generally don't even think about the current price of a stock in any context than what is the price v. what I believe it is worth, or will be worth in the future. There generally is no fee for trading in odd lots anymore. In one of our IRA's we own two...that's right...two shares of GOOG.

Stocks that trade for less than $3.00 - $5.00/share are generally not where I want to be invested for the long term, but I might occasionally do a swing trade or day trade with stocks in this price range.

Don't forget about dividends. Sometimes it's nice to have capital parked in stocks that historically don't appreciate much in value, but pay a dividend.

The energy sector can be volatile, but if you believe a global economic recovery is imminent, or occurring, Exxon Mobil might be worth investigating further. With global demand for energy all but certain to increase as Americans keep buying products and services from developing markets, energy costs are likely to rise in the future, and companies that produce and refine are in a good position to benefit from this increased demand. XOM currently pays about a 2.4% dividend which is much higher than you're going to earn at most banks at present...plus you're in a position to profit the next time gasoline prices spike. Probably not worthwhile if you think you might need your capital for another purpose within a few months, but if it's money you don't need to meet emergencies, this is a strategy that is worth exploring further.

Dividends are also taxed at capital gains tax rates...currently 15% maximum. If one is single and earning more than $34,000 annually, dividends can be a way to earn money and pay a lower tax rate than you would if you worked overtime or got a raise.

If one earns less than $34,000 annually, the tax savings from generating dividend income or long term capital gains are still there. Here's an opportunity for a potential windfall for investors in lower tax brackets.

Online brokerages have removed a huge hurdle for average people. It used to be to buy and sell stock, one had to pay a commission of $100 or so per trade. $100 to buy...$100 to sell. This was back when $100 was worth something. That meant that one had to have substantial capital invested in any one company in order to earn enough to cover transaction costs. These transaction costs effectively limited stock ownership to the upper middle class and wealthy.

These days, this limitation is gone, and in a way the opportunity for people to participate in the stock market and benefit from owning assets has expanded to just about anyone who chooses to.

Again, research and education is key. I am dumfounded that people work 40 hours per week or more to earn money, but invest less than thirty minutes per week when deciding how to allocate the capital they've earned.

My current investing philosophy is to go into a position with a reasonably substantial amount of assets. Diversification can work, but when you own 100 different companies' stock, it becomes nearly impossible to keep up with how they're all doing.

I'm trying to limit my holdings to ten or so core investments. The diversification cheerleaders won't recommend this, but we're in a position that the additional risk we take on by having so much tied up in so few seems to be offset by our enhanced ability to monitor the investments we've made.

Diversification, for us, means owning an index fund like the ones I mentioned earlier, in addition to having investments outside the equity markets.

From what I just learned in my finance class that a well diversified portfolio contains 18-30 different stocks. After 30 the potential for gains diminishes at an increasing rate. From some of your advice I've looked into the railroad industry somewhat. It looks like something worth puttins some money into. I have also looked at cisco, some of the major pharmecutical companies (Pfizer, Merck). I was also thinking that economic recovery is in sight and that Fannie May or Freddie Mac might be worth looking into.

Also, this money is not something that I am looking at having invested for the next 3 years. I am looking more at the short term, maybe 6-9 months. Probably not much longer than that.

Here's the problem I've found with diversification....

Let's say one has $10,000 invested in 30 different stocks.

That averages out to $333 per company.

I'm much less likely to pay attention to what is going on with 30 different companies if I only have three hundred bucks at risk with any of them. My workload is too high to care about any given $300 at risk in any given holding. As a result, I don't watch any of them, and my returns suffer as a result. Transaction costs are higher as well.

On the other hand, if I have $10,000 invested among ten companies (or better yet, five), I find I'm more likely to monitor the progress of those businesses, and read their financial statements because I've more to gain, or lose, as a result of not paying attention.

We're well capitalized, and up to a few months ago I worked a lot and didn't have a lot of free time to adequately monitor numerous investments we have. This is a big part of the reason I've shifted away from diversification somewhat and into much larger positions at much fewer companies.

I think diversification can work for those who have no interest in monitoring their investments, and we still allocate about 10% of our portfolio to basic index funds (can't get much more diversified than that). Diversification has a role, but it's not the holy grail in my opinion.

I'd recommend some reading on Warren Buffett's investment philosophy to learn what he thinks about diversification.

A 6-9 month timeline for an equity investment is going to decrease your probability of success. You may still be able to earn some profit, but if you have a particular date you need your capital by, you're already limiting your options, and ability, to make a profit.

Once again, congratulations for taking the first steps towards a better future for yourself. :beerchug:

Short term gains are much harder to realize than are the long term gains. I guess I am not looking at this so much as a definate investment or something that I have to take my money out at one certain point in time. Your knowledge has given me much to think about and also many things to remeber. More or less I have put my money into an online brokerage simply to get it out of my bank and out of my hands. I cant blow it all on a new gun if it is being used for something else. I will do my research and look at the long term as being 1 to 3 years, if it makes it that long. The more volitile stocks are not where I will be looking. Stable stocks that are on a slight incline will be what I will most consider putting my money into. If it tells you anthing, I always look at the 20 year chart of all the stocks I think I might be interested in investing in. Btw, I'm still waiting for my money to get to TDAmeritrade. I mailed them the check last week. This is all pre-emptive of my first stock purchase.:laugh:

Ok, not happy..

I opened a "sharetrader" account to poke around a bit...

within 24 hours I get 2 phone calls from "other" investment outfits at the number I used, I asked how they got my number, they hung up on me.....

could be a coincidence but I got my doubts... (and I am on the national DNC list)

I've been on sharebuilder for 10 years now. Never got a single phone call from an investment solicitor. Sorry to hear that Bogus, that sux. Thinking about it, they are now owned by ING so I'd call ING and complain.

<threadjack>
Now on the other hand, I did just use LendingTree.com and I got hit with 3 phone calls and 5 emails within 5 minutes. I expected that, but now I'm bombarded with phone calls every hour from people that were NOT on the list of approved lenders. That's upsetting me greatly.
</threadjack>

Back