Target Fixation is a Bish!

*** update ***

Just wanted to say thanks for all the well wishes!

After a couple of Goody powders, I went out to start buffing some of the scratches....All was going great until I sat on the garage floor and noticed the bottom 4 or 5" of the right fairing.
firedevil.gif
....looked like someone rubbed a brick back & forth the entire length of the fairing! Needless to say, it had to come off and be repainted. I spent all morning sanding, priming & painting. I figured I had a 50/50 chance of getting it right. I have never been too good at spraying black. I figure that I would blend it in and go from there. Just waiting for Saturday to come around to wet sand and buff it out. As of now it looks really good, we will see how it comes out Saturday evening!
super.gif
Its all good ...Jay

Target fix does suck. That was one of the things I had to get rid of VERY QUICKLY when on the track. Especially when someone goes down in front of you. Your natural reaction is to watch, then brake (or stand her back up) and watch some more. Fortunately learning to look much further ahead and anticipating has helped in reducing and/or eliminating target fixation.

Hopefully I got all of my "down time" in when I was young. Just about lost track of the number of times my Suzuki 90 bit the dirt - or the asphalt - or the curb...
wow.gif

That was all of 35 years ago. Of course there was that little incident on the Suzuki 380GT that was only 8 hours old. Totaled the bike and broke my arm. So yes, I'm a firm believer in the adage that everyone will go down. Some sooner - some later...

Wife had her first "off road" excursion last weekend. Likely target fixation as well. Went into a corner just a bit too fast and then fixed on the outside edge of the corner. Lucky for her she was able to ride the ditch and come out on the other side. Not bad for a 5'4" grandma on a 650 lb Kawasaki Mean Steak.

Glad you're OK, and hope the painting works well for you. And if it doesn't, maybe you could somehow artfully mask off the bottom and paint it in a flat black, so it looks as if it was intentionally painted that way?

GLad you came out of it ok-- you jumped right on the fix too! couldn't stand for those scratches eh?
I admit- just two days ago, coming out of a dealership, behind a friend-- rolled up slowly, and had front turned to the right-- put my left foot down- TOUCHED the front brake-- layed it down on the right! itty bitty grunge scratch on the pipe. Pride was hurt-

Back