Target Fixation is a Bish!

Big Tuna

Donating Member
Registered
Well....being 70 degrees yesterday...decided to get my first ride in for the year. Had a great ride until I started heading back, got about 3 miles from the house when stupidity took control. I'm sitting at a "T" intersection out in the country...as Im sitting there fixing to hang a right, I notice this big pothole on the edge of the asphalt...I took my right and rode right through the pothole causing me to drop her in someone's muddy front yard....
laugh.gif
Trust me when I say that a 4 mph crash still hurts
laugh.gif
...but I had my gear on! lol Talk about being glad that no one was around to see that..jeez! I still had my hands on the grips when i hit the ground
laugh.gif
. Wow, she's a heavy bike when she's on her side...l got her up...cranked her and laughed the last 3 miles to the house. Hosed her down to get all the red mud off of her and me. found 5 or 6 4" scratches at the right turn signal on the nose. Im gonna try to buff them out today. Other than that, no damage except for laying on a heating pad and a softball size bruise on my calf.

So out of 21 yrs of riding, I too have officially went down ....even if being in a comical way
laugh.gif
...Have fun and be careful.....and watch out for target fixation. Jeez, what a tool I am
wink.gif
...Jay

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Glad your OK Jay, if you are going down, its best a low speed
beerchug.gif

There is no comical way to go down. Like you said it hurts no matter the speed. Even if it is only your pride. Glad your OK and hope the scratches buff out!

Most soreness comes from Pride. Rub some ointment on that calf and get to buffing.

Glad you and the bike are ok.
beerchug.gif

I feel ya completely. I didn't even have a quarter mile on my new Powers when I took it to the gym this past Monday. I pulled up to my first stop sign, looked both ways, and eased out into the road. The rear tire was sooo slick it just instantly spun the rear tire and the bike basically fell over at about 5 mph. The frame slider totally saved the bike. There wasn't a single scratch on any piece of fairing and my only real damages were to my bent footpeg and pride. Live and learn!

Ian
www.redlinestands.com

Glad you're okay and can laugh about it
tounge.gif
Hope your pains ease up soon and that the scratches buff right out...
smile.gif

Any fall bites. Glad it was only a mud puddle and some pride.

You are absolutely right about the target fixation. Stare at what you want to miss... so you can hit it dead on.
I had a rude awakening at the Gap last year. I was observing lock up marks that went straight off mountain on the Dragon and found myself following them.  
wow.gif
Luckily I caught myself and  had time to smack myself, look into corner and make turn.  
SHOCKED.gif

Gotta force yourself to look where you want to go, not what you want to avoid.

glad to hear you are ok, i think all of us that have been riding for any length of time have done something similar...hope the scratches buff out, the bruises fade, and all that is left is the lesson learned
beerchug.gif

(Big Tuna @ Feb. 22 2007,04:08) So out of 21 yrs of riding, I too have officially went down ....
I think the experience/age and skill/ability relationship is like a bell curve.  
After you've hit your peak...
laugh.gif

bell_curve.gif

hehe...that happened to me last year, in my parking lot...I stoped and "wala..." I lay the bike down and i was rolled on the ground...
crazy.gif
I still can't figure how that happened...
rock.gif
crunched on stator cover and some scratches on the plastics...
mad.gif

goes to show you, everybody goes down, its just a matter of time. the only difference is some take easy falls, others take harder ones, some have multilple falls, and others get away with one or two.....glad you're ok though
beerchug.gif

Back