Tank Bags..

OB_wilf

Registered
I'm purchasing a tank bag in the next few weeks or so for my upcoming trips, and I was wondering if the magnetic tank bags scratch the tank at all? and is there anything I should be worried about or cautious about with one of these on?

I’ve has both magnetic and strap on. Neither one scratches the tank. It’s just witch is more covenant. I found the ones that strap down are more trouble to take off when you just want to park the bike and walk into a store. I like the convenience of the magnetic.

I have only had experience with the strap type. Had no problem with scratches. I've heard that the magnetic ones can scratch. What bothers me is the heavy magnets on the bottom of the bag, seems like a great place for dirt to converge and scratch your tank. However I must say that the guys who use them swear by them. I have found that the strap on types are not inconvenient to remove. Just 3 quick snaps and youre gone.

I have used a magnetic bag for 10 months
with no problems. Same with a tank bra.
Just keep a good coat of wax on tank surface
and youll be just fine.

Suxuki2000, I've been using tank bags of various types for years. The kind that have the little straps that you have to position and tighten on the bottom of the tank every time you put it on or take it off are a real pain. It makes every gas stop a hassle, plus they move around a bit during the tightening and settling in process, making scratches a possibility.

The early magnetic types were susceptible to tank scratching because the magnets weren't strong enough, which allowed the bag to move around.

There is a 3rd type which consists of a semi or full coverage tank cover(bra) which stays on all of the time, and which has snap on attachments for a non magnetic bag.

I'll dismiss the strap type, since I think that anyone who uses one is a masochist.

Aside from the wax, which is a good idea with or without a bag, the secrets to using a magnetic bag are:
1.Get one that fits the contours of your tank, so it won't try to reposition itself.
2.Get one with strong magnets and good padding on the bottom.
3.If you live in a rainy area, get a bag with a built-in cover.

The best magnetic bag I've found for the Busa is made in Germany, and is made by BUSE. It's made of a Cordura type material, has several external pockets, a built in rain cover, strong magnets and an internal stiffener which holds its shape whether full or empty. It has large flaps which can fold and velcro flat when off the bike, and backpack straps for carrying. It also has a strap on the front which snaps onto the front of the tank and is adjustable. When installing the bag, this allows you to position that strap, pull back on the bag, and drop the flaps into place in the same place every time. It is so solid you can lean on it as you ride. It also has a nice feature for whenyou only want a very small amount of carrying capacity. The main bag unzips from the base, leaving only a map pocket and the compartment for the rain cover. Those compartments will hold a few small items without the usual bulk of a bag.It is fairly expensive, at about $160.

The 3rd option is best represented by the Bagster, a French company. It is a full coverage tank cover, nicely made of an imitation leather, and has attachments for a variety of bags. Dirty Pete has posted pix of his. I think the cover is the slickest thing I've seen, but haven't found a bag I like as well as the Buse, although I haven't tried them all. Of course the Buse will still work with the Bagster cover in place. The Bagster cover is about $170. and the bags range from roughly $100. to $150.

The only real downside to magnetic bags is that you need to keep your credit cards etc. away from the magnets. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by SlowHand (edited 05 March 2000).]

I use a magnetic Tank Bag on all my bikes.

None of the tanks are scratched - but the leash and plastic clip are a problem if you don't cinch it up and pad the hard edges where it will vibrate on the tank.

Never had a problem with credit cards, Pass keys (work badges with magnetic properties) watches, palm pilots, cell phones etc in the bag. Lots of people say the bag will wreck the cards, I wonder if anyone has actually experienced this ? I toss my wallett right in the bottom of the bag (right next to the magnets) and have no problem.

Don't buy a tank bag because it is on sale. Make sure it fits your tank properly. Go with a magnet stlye. Less movement and easier to use. Make sure all the magnets contact the tank, not partially or it will move and scratch.

Always keeps a heavy coat of wax on the tank and if you can't find a bag with a soft padded bottom, recycle a couple old soft mouse pads, rubber side down. and sew them to the bottom of the bag.

ALWAYS make sure the bottom of the tank bag is clean. I see ALOT of guys place their bag on the ground. All kinds of crap sticks to the bottom then they slap it on their tank without wiping it off.. Presto - scratch-o-rama.

I have a Marsee magnetic bag. Excellent and well made. Get the 14 litre. The 20 litre is a tad too big for the bike.

If you lift the magnets to take it off rather than drag it across the tank then scratches are no problem. Also keep the magnets clean of filings and metal crap. Comes with a shoulder strap for carrying into the office, bar etc.

Lyle, women wear them on their feet.

[This message has been edited by SlowHand (edited 07 March 2000).]

[This message has been edited by SlowHand (edited 07 March 2000).]

I use an x-lg tourmaster that straps down.
When I am sport touring my bag is full of stuff and is pretty heavy. I like the security of the straps for this situation.

Joe

I use the TourMaster Cortech model and love it. No scratches in 9 months use. Never used the security strap. No movement.

It is two bags, small and large, either of which can be zipped to the magnetic base pad and used alone, or the small can be zipped atop the large for an extra large (and for me too large) combo bag. The large individual bag has built in straps to wear as a backpack when off the bike. It can be unzipped from pad and the pad left on the bike while you just take the bag with you when you park.

Most dealers can get them from the distributor or phone order from the places that advertise in the mags. About $150 as I recall.

Matching pumps??? That went over my head ??
I'm just a humble country boy. I don't get that big city humor ???

I use an Eclipse magnetic tank bag and it works great. I believe there are 9 magnets and they are very strong. The bag does not move around. I ALLWAYS wipe off the bottom of the bag before I put it on the bike. The only problem I have had with it (which was my fault) was when I was placing the bag on the bike, I held it by the handle and not with two hands on both sides of the bag. The result was, one of the front magnets came down on the it's edge and hit the top of the tank. It put a small notch in the paint that will never come out. Lesson learned, I now use two hands to install and remove the bag.

see FRQTFLYR 3-7-00

I ALSO USE THE LARGE 3 STRAP TOUR MASTER, IT HOLDS ENOUGH STUFF: I CAN "PUT ON" RAIN GEAR, IF CAUGHT, OR ON HOT DAY, REMOVE "WARMER CLOTHS";
IN LESS THAN 30 SECONDS THE TANK BAG IS OFF, THE "CUSHY" RUBBER "PROTECTOR MATT" IS LIGHTLY ATTACHED, GOES WITH IT;
ALL MY STUFF IS WITH ME, ONE HAND;

THE NEAGITVE:

WHEN TANK BAG FULL, PUTS FACE SHIELD IN DIRECT PATH OF WINDSHILED EXHAUST ... IN THE RAIN, CAUSES "DROPLETS" TO ENTER UNDER A "PARTIAL" OPEN FACE SCREEN-HAVE TO CLOSE FACE SHIELD IN RAIN;

IF YOU GO TWO UP OR TRAVEL FOR MORE THAN AN HOUR, THE TANK BAG IS A MUST;
YOU MIGHT WANT TO INVEST IN A TANK BAG STRAP PROTECTOR-ABOUT $15.00;

Back