Talk me out of it!!

groran1000

Donating Member
Registered
I'm strongly thinking of selling my 09 busa and buying a 2015 BMW 1000RR with all the electronic goodies including cruise control. I heard the beemer wasn't a long ride bike, but I figured a change of seat, heighten the bars and lower the pegs, it would be great. I believe it comes with a 36k, 36 month warranty too. You know I was going to buy the 2015 busa as I was convinced that suzuki would have added the the electronics to it and maybe others changes. Read the article about launch control, wow. Turn it on and bike sits there at about 7k and allows you too pin the throttle wide open and when it takes off, hold on lucille and take a dump before, cause you liable to crap in yo drawers and the anti wheelie control would only allow it come up only so high. I'm still undecided and think the busa is still an awesome bike.

I'd give it exactly one year and then jump. I really think some good changes are coming in 2016. Personally I love my Busa and would look like I was sitting on a Moped if I bought a liter bike, but that has nothing to do with you. Your money , your ride.

Goran what are your measurements? Because unless you are small in stature your gonna look absolutely ridiculous on that thing :rofl:

Guys have posted pics of themselves time & time again on them Beamers and the majority of them are too damn big 4 the bike!! So yeah it may have fancy electronics and all the trimmings but if you look like a Shriner on a pocket bike in the Thanksgiving parade I don't think it's worth it :laugh:

1 guy was on here a year or so ago raving about how great the BMW was and how awesome the test ride was yada yada yada..... and then he posted a pic of himself on it and he got clowned for about 2 pages worth of comments :poke: he was like 6ft4 probably 250lbs+ and he looked utterly ridiculous on it. So word 2 the wise everything ain't 4 everybody....:whistle:

If that is what you really want, I would say do it! Personally, I love the Busa for the street since the sportbikes are far more fun on the track. However, that's a matter of opinion! They are of course two entirely different bikes so really, go with the bike you will enjoy the most. If you are looking at the BMW simply because of the reputation and speed, you might want to think about what type of riding you do before you pull the trigger.

Both are great bikes so really, I don't think you could go wrong!

Just depends on what you want, if you want it, get it. I have a buddy with a 14 model, it's a very fun bike to ride. Super agile, fast, etc etc.
My .02
1) I don't understand everyone's obsession with the electronics package. If you don't know how to ride a bike, well then I get it, I guess... I was constantly turning the gadgets off so I could ride it like "I" wanted to. If you ever have to turn anything off, then definitely not needed IMO.
2) The bike is tiny, great for aggressive riding, but that's all. YOU WILL NOT be able to turn it into a comfy ride of anywhere near the level of a busa. It's a race bike, once and only.

Now, with that said, it will put a grin on your face! :D

You know, everyone is so excited about German engineering, and it is probably superb, but to me it lacks a certain simplicity and straightforwardness, or maybe I am just too American...

I rented a Jetta after my car got flooded by Sandy. First time I needed gas, I pulled to the gas station... I was going crazy not being able to open the freaking small fuel door which gives you access to the fuel filler. Was looking for a button around the cabin and couldn't find one. Trying to open the fuel door with my fingers... After a good few minutes of struggle and lots of cursing, I finally somehow figured out that you have to bump the fuel door with your fist and it opens up.

I was helping my buddy with S1000RR... First thing I noticed was that the shift rod goes through the frame. I am sure BMW checked their designs and did a stress test, and the frame's strength is not affected. But, man, this just doesn't seem right. Now, as a consequence of that, the shift rod is on the inside of the frame. I had to attach the shift rod to the shifter, and the screw goes from the inside, so there is practically no room to stick your little L-shaped hex wrench there. I kept thinking, who the hell designed it like this?

Oh, and what's the deal with all those fasteners on the bike, many requiring Torx (star-like) wrench? Fasteners requiring hex wrenches work just fine.

This one is purely subjective, but bits of plastic here and there is a far cry from a full faired bike like Hayabusa. Just seems too naked, like incompletely covered.

Oh, did I mention it's really small compared to a Busa? This means less wind protection. This means can be easily thrown by wind left and right.

So, did we talk you out of it?

And, here is the kicker: my buddy sold his Hayabusa to get this S1000RR. He remembers his Busa often, and while he is not saying it out loud, you know what it means..

Like someone said, all the electronics is 99% of the time useless, and most of the time is just a warm thought that you have it. Yes, ABS will save it on sand or in slippery conditions, but it will not compensate for incorrect braking. Yes, TC is great, but it robs you from learning how to feel the bike and what the tires are telling you. Same goes for wheelie control. These are useful tools in the hands of already advanced riders, but should not be perceived as merely the safety features, but also the features shielding a rider from the real world. I would go further and say that all this gadgetry is the first step into turning raw experience of riding a bike into something like a video game - pretending to be real while it's not.

I'd give it exactly one year and then jump. I really think some good changes are coming in 2016. Personally I love my Busa and would look like I was sitting on a Moped if I bought a liter bike, but that has nothing to do with you. Your money , your ride.

I prefer "I'd look like Shrek trying to hump a jellybean on a liter bike, but I get ya"

I really think some good changes are coming in 2016.
suzuki is broke. their a small company. in order to compete with other bikes they need a gen 3. I don't think thats gonna happen ever. I wudnt be surprised if they stop makn the hayabusa all together and simply focus on the gsxr 1000. thats where the market is. its not a touring bike that goes fast.

suzuki is broke. their a small company. in order to compete with other bikes they need a gen 3. I don't think thats gonna happen ever. I wudnt be surprised if they stop makn the hayabusa all together and simply focus on the gsxr 1000. thats where the market is. its not a touring bike that goes fast.

With 2013 net sales at $27.4 Billion US Dollars, I would not exactly call them a small company. They have lost a bit of focus though and I am also wondering about the future of the Busa. It was a good run for them, but the platform is 15 years old and could be time for something completely new.

I have an '07 Busa and just recently test rode the S1000RR. It was a lot of fun to ride. Not as comfortable as the Busa (duh) and I didn't like the angle of the clip ons. Also didn't like the angle of the clutch and brake levers, they felt weird. Otherwise, it was a lot of fun to ride, but it was my first time riding a liter bike. A lot more stable at triple-digit speeds than I was expecting. More stable than my Busa when hitting bumps in corners. That part surprised me because I thought that with a shorter wheelbase and more aggressive steering geometry the S1000RR would feel twitchy, but it wasn't. No power down low; had to slip the clutch a little from a start because it felt like it was going to stall (never did though). If Suzuki doesn't come out with a Gen III soon, I might be looking at picking up the BMW...maybe.

i personally avoid being the first group to own anything on the first run. This means the unforseen problems are yours. So when major changes happen in the electronics I wait a year or so. But other then that I would say go for it.

First off - it's your $$$$$ so do what you want.

Now you think you'll change the seat, bars, and pegs BEFORE you even ride one or buy one - REALLY?

What's the point if you are going to do all that before you ride it very far?

I don't know what mods you have done on your Busa - but I have done quit a few, (no motor work) to make it a nicer
ride and so that I can carry a fair amount of stuff if needed. So me personally I wouldn't want to have to start all over as I like my bike
even more now then I did when I got it. Mods are very plentiful for a Busa - way more then you will find for the BMW - at least to start.

By the way, electronic cruise control can be added to a Gen II pretty easy - especially compared to a Gen I.

So I say as long as you know all this stuff (as I probably didn't tell you anything you didn't know) before you buy one
then it's totally your decision to make.

Any chance you can keep the Busa and get the BMW? Maybe sell something else to help pay for a new one.

I'm sure you will let us know what you decide when you do.........

Stevo80 has point. I like gadgets, so I guess I wanted that even at 58 years old. If I turn off the electronics, which is a possibility, then I have a 1000cc bike. I may try to wait on 2016 on the busa as I prefer that bike for a great number of reasons. Also I'm 5. 10 and weigh 240 lbs so I don't want to look like a pig on a moped, I never thought about those things and are very important. Besides the bmw cost at least another 5k over the busa, and parts may be quite a bit more expensive than the jap bikes, thanks for the feedback men.

No offense but @5ft 10- 240 lbs your gonna look ridiculous on that bike.... I'm the same height as you and weigh about 40pounds less. I sat on 1 after being on my busa and it felt like a toy :whistle: can't deny the performance or technology that the bike has but there's no way your gonna spend an extended amount of time riding on that machine. If electronics, bells, & whistles are your thing check out the ZX-14R. I'm not big into Cow's but my buddy has 1 and he's damn near 300lbs and still buzzes around like a bat outta hell on it!!

GUY CODE: Don't be that dude.....:laugh:

IMG_00000330_edit_zps2f970a33.png

Back