taking the wheels off....how?

sweet tea man

Registered
2006 Busa

ok, i've grown a bit tired of the rim stripes mainly b/c they are a different blue than what i painted my bike. i'm going to paint the wheels stripes on, but have never taken the wheels off before. i'm not mechanically dumb, just need a walk through on how to take em off so i dont F something up

I've got a good idea on how to do the rear since i had to basically slide the alxe almost out to put my roadlok on, i figure do everything like i did for the roadlok, expet take the axle all the way out, and take the chain off the rear sprocket. yes? no?

just by a quick glance at the front, need some info on that one:rofl:

my seats are off at Lee's getting reupholstered and such, so this will be a good way to keep me busy since i cant ride right now:thumbsup:

Last edited:
On a Gen I you'll need to drop the rear caliper too. Remove the front calipers and support them with straps. Loosen the two small allen bolts at the base of the fork on the brake side. Take a front axle tool ( factory or homemade ) and remove the front axle, Remember what spacers and parts, etc. go where. remove front rim. From memory you had to have more clearance than a normal stand will give you to clear the front fender. Good luck, I've only done it once and it's been a while...

Also, to keep from scratching your rims, put a tube sock over the calipers.

like do3 said...it's pretty simple. the rear, after the axle is out, I push the wheel all the way forward, move the chain to the side, take off the roadlok, push the caliper down off the disk, tilt the wheel to clear everything and remove. I don't have stands... I use jack stands and a floor jack... on the front, just like do3 said. with the floor jack, no problem clearing the fender:beerchug: take your time

floor jack for the front? where the heck would i put it without damaging something?

sorry thats the first ive read about lifting the front this way

I put a 1x4 under the header just forward of where it comes together (stock exhaust) , works like a champ:thumbsup:

The way to do it is with front and rear stands....with out them, stability is very compromised unless you suspend the bike from a secure ceiling point (coated hooks on both sides of frame). By just buying the stands you open up so much "access" to the inner workings of your bike, and overall save $ when you do stuff yourself. Raydog

P1000931.JPG

P1010579.JPG

Ray...looks like some of the vehicles left overnight in my neighborhood:whistle:

That's funny, they better stay away from my CZ wheels, it wasn't easy explaining to my wife why they were so important to buy! (although I've been wanting to try out my new .45).

Don't we have a copy of the service manual somewhere? I bought mine and it is a great investment.
Posted via Mobile Device

i'm going to be spraying them. the color has too much pearl and metallic to be brushed on.

how do i take the front wheel off exactly? what is a homemade axle tool? how do i make it?

Back