Suzuki GSX-S 1000 GT+

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
First off, the frikkin name is too long. What happened to naming bikes? Like…Hayabusa for example? :D Anyway, they only had the black one in stock and didn’t have Kawasaki’s equivalent, the SX 1000.

The good:
Tank is metal and my tankbag fits just fine. It’s also hinged and at 5 gallons is big enough for touring.
My V1 will fit on the handlebars with a mount like it does on my Kawasaki.
The detachable hardbags (the + after the GT) are big enough and seem quite secure.
The color info display, like a mini iPad looks great, analog tach surrounding a digital speed display and everything else you want to know.
Has a nice looking 4/2/1 shorty exhaust although I didn’t hear it.
Fit and finish seemed good. An accessory port is built into the dash.
Reportedly the QS is sublime as is the cruise control
Wet weight is right at 500.
Front Brembo brakes

The bad:
The footpegs are too high! Buell type pegs would have to be fitted (for me) and there appears to be enough room for at least a 1.5” drop.
Only the left headlight is on all the time. For it to look right the high beam has to be on constantly. Just a nit that I’m picking.
No center stand! Marketed as a chain driven sport touring bike and a center stand isn’t even available. Apparently the huge exhaust can underneath is why one won’t fit. Poor design IMO.
Two windscreens are available, tall and short, but neither is adjustable.
No IMU (whatever that is) controlling things and no cornering ABS (which I don’t care about).
The phone/whatever connectivity and performance reportedly sucks badly. Everywhere I read.
They want nearly a grand for the hardbags w/mounts which is really the only difference from the GT to the GT+
All the reviews say it’s geared like a hot rod not a touring mount. I wouldn’t mind that as I like hot rods. Fuel economy might suck.
And of course they want too much for it and gave me an insulting offer for my Kawasaki.

Ima hafto think this over some more. The Van Nuys Suzuki dealer in SoCal has two that are $1,100 cheaper.

Are there any dealer demos or Suzuki demo tours out your way?
There aren't any here, because I would like to ride one.

Yep, one very good thing about this dealership is that you can test ride anything they have, new or used. When I bought my Kawasaki from them I had ridden three other bikes over two days, two new and one used, and my new (4 miles on the odo) Kawasaki twice over two days putting 80 miles on it. I came back the third day and bought it. Which reminds me….

Yep, one very good thing about this dealership is that you can test ride anything they have, new or used. When I bought my Kawasaki from them I had ridden three other bikes over two days, two new and one used, and my new (4 miles on the odo) Kawasaki twice over two days putting 80 miles on it. I came back the third day and bought it. Which reminds me….

So are you going to test ride it?
It sounds like it.

My 2018 Kawasaki was assembled in December of 2017, a full six years ago. Five years ago next Friday is when I bought it. 26,000+ miles and eight states later it still runs like new. The OEM battery is still in it. I did however, swap it with a new one for the last two multi state tours I rode, just in case. When I got back though I put the original battery, now six years old at least, back in and it’s still up to the task. Hawdabeleeve huh? Not an expensive after market battery but a factory assembly line battery installed six years ago. I’m gonna try to wear it out. The dealer had a used 2018 Z900RS in stock and were asking just under 9K for it. Didn’t know the mileage. Sadly, even though their appraiser said mine looked brand new (and) I bought it from them, they only offered me $4,200 for trade in. I was thinking closer to $6,500. They also had a $1,198 “dealer markup” on the GT+.
Shaking Head Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

So are you going to test ride it?
It sounds like it.
Maybe but the peg issue has to be solved no matter where I buy one. That (is) a deal breaker if they can’t be lowered. Something like these maybe. I’m wondering about the pivot bolt diameter matching.

Sorry my translator got funny, definitely a real bike :D
No idea, I thought no prices had been announced yet. The only different I can think of, is that it‘s taller and it’s got electronic suspension.

Last edited:
I've put 3500 miles and a set of tires on mine since July. It's a great bike. My only issue is I want a bit more initial braking bite. I put on EPFA pads and it still is softer than I would like. I'll probably throw a brembo master and some lines on it next. Here's a motley crew pic from the skyway a couple of weeks or so back.

IMG7474465768559658192.jpg

I bought a '22 GT+ new in March... sold it in June. The negatives outshone the positives for me (YMMV) but in the end it wasn't the touring bike that I was looking for. I think the worst part of the experience was the gearing... the bike just revved far too high at highway speeds and had a really buzzy vibration around 5000rpm or so that was wearing... and it hit right at highway speeds in 6th. The tall windscreen also created a lot of buffeting and wind noise on/in my helmet... I would have been interested in trying the standard screen but mine only came with the touring version.

I also found the quality wasn't up to Suzuki's usual standards. And I'm not the only one as there's lots of chatter on the internet about the gas tanks developing rust around the fuel opening as the paint didn't get applied down under the filler, and some folks had their side-case locks abandon ship while riding when the tiny screws backed out that hold them in.

It's a fun bike when you're in the mood for tearing down the road with your hair on fire (the quick-shifter is amazing) but it's far from relaxing as the tourer that it's being marketed as.

I am glad that many people love them though. :thumbsup:

52778595040_5287965a3b_b.jpg

I bought a '22 GT+ new in March... sold it in June. The negatives outshone the positives for me (YMMV) but in the end it wasn't the touring bike that I was looking for. I think the worst part of the experience was the gearing... the bike just revved far too high at highway speeds and had a really buzzy vibration around 5000rpm or so that was wearing... and it hit right at highway speeds in 6th. The tall windscreen also created a lot of buffeting and wind noise on/in my helmet... I would have been interested in trying the standard screen but mine only came with the touring version.

I also found the quality wasn't up to Suzuki's usual standards. And I'm not the only one as there's lots of chatter on the internet about the gas tanks developing rust around the fuel opening as the paint didn't get applied down under the filler, and some folks had their side-case locks abandon ship while riding when the tiny screws backed out that hold them in.

It's a fun bike when you're in the mood for tearing down the road with your hair on fire (the quick-shifter is amazing) but it's far from relaxing as the tourer that it's being marketed as.

I am glad that many people love them though. :thumbsup:

View attachment 1672795
I felt the exact same way when I first bought the bike. My comparison was to a 2022 R1250RT which has a sixth gear hole it drops into for highway speeds. Once I got a couple thousand miles on the GT I feel like either it got better or I got used to the different characteristics of gearing. I added the Puig touring screen to the GT and it has great areo for me. I've had zero quality issues with the bike. Sorry you had the issues you had.

I felt the exact same way when I first bought the bike. My comparison was to a 2022 R1250RT which has a sixth gear hole it drops into for highway speeds. Once I got a couple thousand miles on the GT I feel like either it got better or I got used to the different characteristics of gearing. I added the Puig touring screen to the GT and it has great areo for me. I've had zero quality issues with the bike. Sorry you had the issues you had.
All good. The issues I had were my own, and in knowing that, I moved it on. The guy who bought it was thrilled with it as he was looking for a more usable machine to replace his supersport litre-bike, but wanted similar on-road performance, and the GT fit that bill perfectly for him.

I got some seat time on a new GSX 1000 GT and felt the same as @hayabuser . Very happy I did not buy one and went BMW R1250 RS instead .
Terry on case prices there not cheap by any one . 1000 is actually not a bad price , and if it had not been for my discounts at my dealer the BMW side cases would of been 1200 .
I paid 850 and then another 4xx for the top case .
Trading in bikes is a take it in the rear with no lube . They are not ever going to offer a fair amount on a middle of the road mid CC every day run of the mill motorcycle.

No center stand just Kills anything labeled as sport touring . I'm very happy to have one these days from when touring on the hayabusa .

My Busa is recently gone for a 2023 BMW R 1250 RS - and I'm not looking back. BMW isn't as quick or fast, but much better center of gravity, modern electronics and COSTS THOUSANDS LESS!
This ain't to kick the Suzuki, but my attempt to turn it into a sports tourer as abject failure. The BMW is all that and more.

Back