Strapping the brake lever...?

MikeSomething

Registered
I've been storing my bike and was wondering if it would do any harm to the master cylinder, front calipers, pads or brake lines if I strapped down the brake lever so the front brakes are applied for a long period of time (a few months)? I wanted to do this just for some extra protection...

Last edited:
cant see it be good for anything. dont know if its bad. wheel chock, front stand, disc lock, those would be some of the things id look into.

Constant pressure MAY encourage a leak which otherwise would not occur. If you want to prevent the bike from rolling use a locking wheel chock.

cant see it be good for anything. dont know if its bad. wheel chock, front stand, disc lock, those would be some of the things id look into.
No room in front for a wheel stand...I'm worried I'd forget the disc lock being on and cause some damage... Was prob gonna get a RoadLok for the back, but for the time being, I was just wondering if I could strap the front brake lever down to the grip while I was storing it...?

Constant pressure MAY encourage a leak which otherwise would not occur. If you want to prevent the bike from rolling use a locking wheel chock.
Thanks, all I needed to know.

Last edited:
I was serious, I was think maybe it was covered in a driveway that was on a slope. I dont see it coming off the stand without alot of help, they stands work great, even for long periods. I dont think it will detur theives much, those guys come prepared and are very clever. I dont know if it will hurt anything or not, I wouldnt do it.:thumbsup:

take some safety wire and tie the stand to the pegs so it cant break over without some help, then buy a lock of some sort, run a string to your grip.

I was serious, I was think maybe it was covered in a driveway that was on a slope. I dont see it coming off the stand without alot of help, they stands work great, even for long periods. I dont think it will detur theives much, those guys come prepared and are very clever. I dont know if it will hurt anything or not, I wouldnt do it.:thumbsup:
Thanks man... Yea, it's just I don't wanna get the bike stolen or have it roll off or tip over from something stupid. Just paranoid over having an awesome bike like ours! =)

take some safety wire and tie the stand to the pegs so it cant break over without some help, then buy a lock of some sort, run a string to your grip.
Makes sense, I'll try that.

Last edited:
Thanks man... Yea, it's just I don't wanna get the bike stolen or have it roll off or tip over from something stupid. Just paranoid over having an awesome bike like ours! =)

I hear ya, every bump in the night make me run to the window to check the garage.

I hear ya, every bump in the night make me run to the window to check the garage.
Yea def!!! It's even worse when I bring it over to a friend's house... I spend more time by the window then anything!

I know thieves come prepared and if someone REALLY wants the bike, they'll get it... But just figured the front brake strap would be ONE more thing they'd have to waist time getting off...

Last edited:
Maybe just a wedge or a brick in front of the tire would stop it from rolling forward.

However I have pushed my bike across the garage on the rear stand without it falling off, Should be ok.

Maybe just a wedge or a brick in front of the tire would stop it from rolling forward.

However I have pushed my bike across the garage on the rear stand without it falling off, Should be ok.
Yea, again I'm just paranoid... I have the front wheel cut left and the steering lock on, that should help. 2morrow I'll find something, just tight on room in the front.

where is it at?

maybe put some d-rings in the floor and strap the front with a canyon dancer. always heard its best to keep wheel straight on rear stand

where is it at?

maybe put some d-rings in the floor and strap the front with a canyon dancer. always heard its best to keep wheel straight on rear stand
It's in an oversized shed, on top of foundation. I rocked the bike left to right, and it seems really sturdy, you're prob right tho. I'm thinking about bungee'in the handle bars to the ceiling beams till I buy some rachet straps...

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but don' t feel it would be a good idea to leave the brake system under any sort of unnecessary stress. As with any type of hydraulic system, the weak link will be the rubber hoses/lines. While they can handle the added pressure during use, they aren' t really designed for constant pressure. Rubber stretches over time, and I would think leaving the system under a constant strain would possibly cause pre-mature failure. I really don' t think you' d want to discover this failure, if you' re traveling at a high-rate of speed, and have to stop suddenly.

I would suggest a disc lock. I' m not sure what you had planned to use to strap your brake lever, but it would surely take a lot longer to get through that big hunk of metal locked around the rotor.

I'm worried I'd forget the disc lock being on and cause some damage.

I bought a disc lock from the 7th circle of Hell, you know....Wal-Mart, and it comes with a red cable that you hook the lock on to before locking it on the rotor, then you stretch the other end up to you hand grip. It' s a bright red sleeved cable. Little chance you' ll over-look it and try to drive off. Also being you keep your Busa in a shed, I don' t see you trying to take off on one wheel from it' s stored state. You' ll notice the disc lock with ease man.

I know thieves come prepared and if someone REALLY wants the bike, they'll get it.

While my bike is currently in a friend' s shed, I normally keep my bike in my kitchen. Hey, I' m a single guy, I can do that! :thumbsup: I have a German Shepherd, and 52 reasons (rounds that will go through a windshield and up to 12" into a human body) that increase my odds of keeping my Busa where she belongs! :thumbsup: I need to collect a few more reasons though. That' s just for my 9mm. Need some good rounds for the .40! :laugh:

Found the video for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back