Stored Busa starts buts shuts down when shifted into 1st gear

Shanling

Man ***** Extreme
Donating Member
Registered
Hey folks. Been a while since I have been on here. Sorry for that. Have not ridden my 04 Busa in well over a year. Got married, bought a large cabin cruiser and we spend all of our available time on her now.

Here is my issue. Have my 04 Black/Purple up for sale. (don't flame me now) She has sat in my climate controlled garage for over a year. Put a new battery in her and she starts just fine and runs just fine. Before she went in storage, put Stabil in the tank and ran the engine like you should. But, when I shift it into first gear, it immediately dies. I have let it warm up before trying. Even tried shifting while holding the throttle at 2500 RPMs. Any thoughts or suggestions?

The piston in the kickstand cutoff switch moves in/out freely. How do I check that?

Check that 1) your kickstand is actually UP, and, 2) that the piston/actuator is depressed when the stand is up.

OMG! I feel like such a "NOOB"! I just went out, fired the bike up and put the kickstand all the way up...made darn sure, shifted into first and no engine shut down! Hey thanks for the help. Only thing I can think is that I did not have the kickstand ALL the way up when I tried before. Now I can go back and put the right side plastics back on. Had removed them fearing that I was going to have to get into the clutch.

Last edited:
OMG! I feel like such a "NOOB"! I just went out, fired the bike up and put the kickstand all the way up...made darn sure, shifted into first and no engine shut down! Hey thanks for the help.

It's an easy enough mistake to make.

Maybe lube up the kickstand bolt while your there, keep it from happening to the new owner.
Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

Also make sure that the kickstand has good spring tension and the hinge mechanism isn't too worn. You don't want to drag it in hard left corners.

Back