STOP: For Computer Systems Guys Only!!!

MeltDownZ

Registered
I don't talk about it much on this forum but I oversee some of the largest financial computer systems in the world. Brokerage processing, pricing, trading, electronic signatures, $10's of millions flowing through the pipeline each day. Anyway, new years is like the super bowl of application dev/support for me and my crew of 40~60 unlucky suckers who are on duty at the stroke of midnight. If you support business systems, I wish you the best of luck tonight and hope that all things check out and you can tip a Wiskey at about 12:20am

May the force be with you!

I have responsibility for business systems over here in the desert, but no Whiskey tipping at 12:20 for me. Do hope everything stays up though. Happy New year to all!

You have my sympathy and best wishes, I'm a Web systems admin in Colorado.

Hope your pagers stay silent.

HNY, fellow sysadmins! EOY is nothing like Y2K. there's nothing to be concerned about unless you still run DOS programs, and you don't if you work with serious money. no worries

HNY, fellow sysadmins!  EOY is nothing like Y2K.  there's nothing to be concerned about unless you still run DOS programs, and you don't if you work with serious money.  no worries
Maybe there's not the same 2-digit year issues as y2k, however, we run 24-hours, batch processing, pricing feeds, trade feeds. With all the year end activity and last minute adjustment processing, everything runs behind schedule. You never know when some FTP or Transmission job is going to bust because a file or extract didn't show up on time. We have about 1000 each night. Oh, and we're processing well over $100,000,000 tonight.

Maybe there's not the same 2-digit year issues as y2k, however, we run 24-hours, batch processing, pricing feeds, trade feeds.  With all the year end activity and last minute adjustment processing, everything runs behind schedule.  You never know when some FTP or Transmission job is going to bust because a file or extract didn't show up on time.  We have about 1000 each night.  Oh, and we're processing well over $100,000,000 tonight.
What you said.

Let me know if you need to divert any of that money to a safe harbor - my bank account's always available...

wink.gif

Back