Stingray gets another one

SAMBUSA

TATTOO'D WHITE TRASH
Donating Member
Registered
LIGHTHOUSE POINT, Fla. - An 81-year-old boater was in critical condition Thursday after a stingray flopped onto his boat and stabbed him, leaving a foot-long barb in his chest, authorities said.

"It was a freak accident," said Lighthouse Point acting fire Chief David Donzella. "It's very odd that the thing jumped out of the water and stung him. We still can't believe it."

Fatal stingray attacks like the one that killed "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin last month are rare, marine experts say. Rays reflexively deploy a sharp spine in their tails when frightened, but the venom coating the barb usually causes just a painful sting for humans.

James Bertakis of Lighthouse Point was on the water with his granddaughter and a friend Wednesday when the stingray flopped onto the boat and stung Bertakis. The women steered the boat to shore and called 911.

Surgeons were able to remove some of the barb, and Bertakis, who also suffered a collapsed lung, underwent surgery late Wednesday and early Thursday, the Miami Herald reported on its web site.

Ellen Pikitch, a professor of marine biology and fisheries at the University of Miami, who has been studying stingrays for decades, said they are generally docile.

"Something like this is really, really extraordinarily rare," she said. "Even when they are under duress, they don't usually attack

Oh noooooooooooooo

The stingrays are taking over. God help us all.

Next they start walking on land and stinging random people on street corners.

all_coholic.gif
all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

It jumped onto his boat and he was attempting to throw it back into the water. As he was about to release it, it stabbed him.

The posted story makes it seem like it just jumped in and attacked him. I hate it when the press tells half of the story.
rant.gif

(psycobusa @ Oct. 20 2006,03:16) maybe that one was the same one that got steve  
wow.gif
along the lines of what i was thinking
a rabid stingray swimming around the globe

What did one stingray say to the other stingray?

I got steve, if we get the rest they will all leave

crazy.gif

(thrasherfox @ Oct. 20 2006,10:57) What did one stingray say to the other stingray?

crazy.gif
I hear cricketts.  
poke.gif

Bad_joke_Potty___humor_by_Sir_Rush.jpg

(heavybusa @ Oct. 20 2006,13:55)
(thrasherfox @ Oct. 20 2006,10:57) What did one stingray say to the other stingray?

crazy.gif
I hear cricketts.
poke.gif

Bad_joke_Potty___humor_by_Sir_Rush.jpg
LOL.. yeah well.. that is why I would starve as a comedian
biggrin.gif

Anyone know when stingray season starts ?
I have a 20 year old spear gun laying around somewhere.

(dadofthree @ Oct. 21 2006,15:37) Not to worry, my black busa is to fast for the stinking stingrays.  
firedevil.gif
we know you can swim, but can your busa?
laugh.gif

They needed to hunt down and kill the stingray that got Steve Irwin. Once these things get a tast of human blood...

Back