Steering dampener maintenance

jcornwell101

Registered
For the steering dampener is there any maintenance required? Do you ever have to change the fluid, what should I use if I do?

Also what is the stock height for the forks in the top triple clamp?

My bike before I started the whole hyperpro suspension install was lowered front and back.

I currently have them where they are sticking up passed the gold part in the triple tree. I also put the rear in the first hole
of the PSR lowering links bringing it to stock height.

I spend the last couple days taking Hyperpros suspension recommended settings and tweaking it. It feels great now.

As specified in the fork install section in the manual or here, 5mm.

Given that the dampener is hydraulic and the fluid goes bad from seal and water contamination, yes. Someone may chime in, but there is likely details on maintenance in the manual (?)

Yeah, 5mm, and that is factory spec...but not a rule, you can even have the top of the fork below the clamp(rear would likely be raised), it all depends on your riding style and conditions.

Steering Damper
You might also wanna check out this thread:
Steering Damper replacement cost (Babbit's, Gen 2): $560 USD

Thanks for the good info, I am just trying to get everything back to stock heights to further dial in the suspension.
When I had the front end apart my steering dampener looked to be in good shape. How do you change fluid in it, plus I am not interested
in going heavier. I don't ride aggressively, I just want something to work as it should incase I need it.

Even if the oil is old it should still work effectively. It might be off by 5 or 10% but what's that in the scheme of things. Unless it's leaked I wouldn't be concerned myself. Can you get the front up and test it?

Sounds good to me.

I will probably put the forks to stock height and ride it some more to tweak my suspension settings from hyperpro.
I feel good on where I have everything and will need to tweak it from there. The shock preload adjustment seems very hard to do
on this bike. So I contacted hyperpro on how much the remote preload adjuster would be. Because, before on my vfr it was a quick set if I was riding 2 up I would go up 2 clicks in the back and 1 turn up front from where I would ride. For this bike too when my son rides with me I can feel the bike get sluggish and squat in the back. So I want to be able to compensate for that quickly if I ride 2 up which is a lot with him.

Back