Staying Dry on the Busa

eynlai

Registered
Thought I share this with those of you in CA and anyone else that can split lanes (legally or otherwise in other states). The following statement is in no way a endorsement for any said reader to violate their respective state, local, and/or county motorcycle traffic law(s). Nor is it a suggestion or encouragement to exceed the riding capability and/or skills of the intented audience. This poster, its affiliates, agents, and repliers, shall not be liable, financially or otherwise, for any actions, intended coarse of actions, in the proceeding topic thread/subject matter to be discussed.

Okay, now that the legalnese is out of the way. I recently found a way to ALMOST outrun the rain while riding my busa. Can say this would work with any other bike (since the busa was built from a aerodynamic design), or for any other rider (I'm about 140 lb, 5' 8" or 9" on the boney side), but it worked twice for me.

On my last couple of wet weather rider from my GF's place in San Diego back to my place near Pasadena (approx 120 mile each way), I found that if some ways to stay pretty dry, even during a moderate to moderate heavy downpour (where cagers have to have their wipers on high). I'll break it down:

* Body positioning: This is the first and most vital. Tuck in as much as you can where your helmet is nearly resting on the tank, or if you're taller right behind the windshield above the triple tree.

* Visor: "sticky" rain drops on your visor is one of the worst. Tucking in as mentioned above will eliminate 85% of the rain from getting on your visor in the first place. For that acculmulated 15%, you can occasionally raise your head up just enough so your visor is level with where to windshield ends to have the wind blast away those pesty rain droplets from your visor.

* Need wind: Tucking as much as possible is only 50% of the remedy. You would need to get a strong wind to flow so you can take advantage of your body position and the busa's excellant aerodynamic design. Keeping a minimun 75 mph hour wind will blow most of the rain droplets from the busa OVER your tucked in body instead of letting the rain drops hit your body vertically from above.

* Need Speed for Wind: This is going to be the tricky part, it will require skills, concentration, confidence in yourself and you busa. Riding on wet roads is scary enough as it is, but couple that with dense traffic condition where cages just naturally slow down, and sometimes to a stop because it's raining can be the ultimate nerve racker. In CA, where it's legal to split lanes, do it... at 70 - 75 mph, even when the cages are moving around 20 - 30 mph. I found that in order for me to keep the rain droplets from hitting me vertically, I would have to keep a high enough speed to keep the wind blowing the rain OVER my busa and my body. Heavier the raing the faster I have to keep the speed up, even during the lane splitting... sometimes to about 90 mph.

* Cops: Yes, there is the threat of that. But under those conditions of dense traffic, where especially there is a congestion, the chances of being pulled over is less likely. The cop will have to CATCH UP to you first, and that's pretty hard when their cages are stuck in the congestion with everyone else. I don't recall seeing any biker cops out in the rain, I think they head back to the station and call it the day.

Twice I rode in the rain, once mild to moderate, and the second time moderate to moderately heavy. Both times I had my usual Alpinestar leather jacket and leather pants on. Both times, I got home with my jacket just barely damp to the touch, my pants were nearly dry.

I have to dissagree with that technique for riding in rain.
1) You have reduced braking on a wet surface.
2) Cagers have even less visibility and are more likely to change lanes while you're splitting without seeing you.
3) You have even more reduced braking due to the kind of surface we ride on when splitting, paint. Wet paint is even more slippery than wet concrete. Plus there are the lane reflector bumps also.
4) In a fully tucked position you have less visibility than if you are sitting upright.
5) Illegal to split at 40mph+ faster than cagers, I believe the law states somewhere around 15mph overtake. At 40mph+ you have reduced reaction time to avoid a cager who changes lanes right in front of you.

You're a great guy, I don't mean to bash your thread, but I felt the other side of this needed to be said.
wink.gif

With that said, to each his own.
poke.gif

Points well, taken, Charles. Not meant to be a rule. Only what worked for me. I agree with you 100% on all of your points on braking, traction, visibility, etc... It is very very risky. Definitely don't recommending looking for rain to ride in, but just in case being caught in one... Just wanted peeps to know the aerodynamic capability of the busa and what worked for me to take advantage of it. So afterall, it's a decision to stay drier by taking the said risks, or getting wet but reducing the risks. It's up to the rider to choose.

Hey, BMW radio commericals claims you can "chase the sun" with their cars, I just wanted to let peeps know that on a busa, you can literally "dodge" the rain... If one chooses to.

And to add to your point, not to mention those nasty grooves in the road that will cause sudden shifting of the bike.

Points well, taken, Charles.  Not meant to be a rule.  Only what worked for me.  I agree with you 100% on all of your points on braking, traction, visibility, etc... It is very very risky.  Definitely don't recommending looking for rain to ride in, but just in case being caught in one... Just wanted peeps to know the aerodynamic capability of the busa and what worked for me to take advantage of it.  So afterall, it's a decision to stay drier by taking the said risks, or getting wet but reducing the risks.  It's up to the rider to choose.

Hey, BMW radio commericals claims you can "chase the sun" with their cars, I just wanted to let peeps know that on a busa, you can literally "dodge" the rain... If one chooses to.

And to add to your point, not to mention those nasty grooves in the road that will cause sudden shifting of the bike.
thumbs-up.gif
race.gif

Perhaps you can post some helpfull hints on how the EMT can stay dry while scraping you off the pavement.

Perhaps you can post some helpfull hints on how the EMT can stay dry while scraping you off the pavement.
simple, just wait until the rain lets up a bit. I didn't say it wasn't risky (or illegal and even stupid). I'm simply showing it's probable and it's a testimony to the well thought out aerodynamic design of the busa.

splitting lanes is just dum and dangerous
rock.gif
your joking right?? please tell me you are..cuz if your not..i know wherever you are might be butt #### egypt where there is no one in your state or city roads..but try sitting in traffic for four hours after work when your dead tired then tell me if youll want to split thru traffic or not...the nerve of of some people...i know im bashing but think first and put your dumb self in other peoples shoes before you make a dumb comment like this one..sorry.but to each its own...there are times when to split lanes and there is times not to...

in the rain, or just in general? I don't recall it being legal in Ohio for you to do it enough to truly speak on the matter. So I guess it's safer to be sandwished in a pack of cages for you. What you can't, or won't do yourself doesn't means it's dumB and dangereous. But let's go back to your point: so you don't split, you follow the "safe" 3 seconds of the cage in front of you, you got a cage to your left rear, a cage just to your front right, and finally, you got a tailgater that's on your ass because since you won't split and your following the "safe" 3 seconds of the cage in front you, you got too much gap (at least by the tailgater's standard). You come into a mild curve but the cage in front of you comes to a sudden slow down... the 2 cages to the side of you slow slightly, but not as much as the one in front of you. What do you do? Hmmm... basically if you don't slow quickly enough, you'll rearend the cage in front of you. You slow quickly enough and you risk being rearended by the tailgater behind you.... Yup, you'll just be a guppy packed in a can of sardine waiting to get squished.

Now I would call THAT dumb and dangereous to not split lanes. See how that works? Unless you can validate your views like some people could, like Charles, don't expect me to respect it... Just like you have a obvious lack of respect for mine.

Next time before you speak (or type in this case), think first.

rock.gif
your joking right?? please tell me you are..cuz if your not..i know wherever you are might be butt #### egypt where there is no one in your state or city roads..but  try sitting in traffic for four hours after work when your dead tired then tell me if youll want to split thru traffic or not...the nerve of of some people...i know im bashing but think first and put your dumb self in other peoples shoes before you make a dumb comment like this one..sorry.but to each its own...there are times when to split lanes and there is times not to...
and even if you minus my 'safety' argument, you can still factor in Brahma's point of view.

well being that i drove a big truck for 10 years over the road and spent alot of time in cali and la and have seen this done many times and seen many bikes down on their sides and cops and ambulances and holding traffic up yeah i think its dum and dangerous . and no (thank god)its not leagal in ohio and i dont care what anyone says its dangerous you never know what a cager is going to do they do the dumbest crap at the dumbest times you go tearing through stopped traffic and some idiot opens his door right in front of you and you know what i could go on and on but i wont you can not get me to believe that this practice is not dangerous and all because you dont want to sit in traffic who are you your no better than anyone else sitting there if your in that big of a hurry you should have left earlier but it dont matter thats just my $0.02

because you dont want to sit in traffic who are you your no better than anyone else sitting there if your in that big of a hurry you should have left earlier but it dont matter thats just my $0.02
No one thinks they are better then you. It is legal here. I do it becuase it is legal, not becuase I think that I am better then you. Why would you think that we do it becuase we are better then you?

Back