Stator Cover

1BadAssBusa

Registered
<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'></span><span style='color:blue'></span> I just bought a chrome stator cover, and a new gasket. I was told that the installation simply involves removing the stock bolts, scraping off the old gasket, put the new gasket in place and re-bolt. Is this all to it, or is there more involved?

Anyone out there done this before?

about it , other than you have to unbolt the stator inside the housing and rebolt it to the chrome one.. very easy job. a little bit of oil might come out..

<span style='color:blue'></span><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'></span>Does the gasket scrape off easy? Is there any silicone needed when installing the new gasket?

(1BadAssBusa @ Feb. 11 2007,14:01) <span style='color:blue'></span><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'></span>Does the gasket scrape off easy?  Is there any silicone needed when installing the new gasket?
no.  new gasket should be enough.  old gasket should just peal off.    you will get oil.... so have pan ready.  pic up some more before you start. here's mine

stator+cover.jpg

easy. oil loss is minimal. On a rear stand I lost a few drops. You will loss more if the bike is freshly run. Sit it over night.
Strong magnet, you will see. Just watch them fingers putting cover on, it pulls fast and has cut & pinched a few fella's fingers. Put some thin gloves on to save skin, or again becareful.

(06BUSA @ Feb. 11 2007,14:38) easy. oil loss is minimal. On a rear stand I lost a few drops. You will loss more if the bike is freshly run. Sit it over night.
Strong magnet, you will see. Just watch them fingers putting cover on, it pulls fast and has cut & pinched a few fella's fingers. Put some thin gloves on to save skin, or again becareful.
minimal my azz lol i lost almost a quart. I did do mine on the kick stand though. maybe that's why.

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'></span><span style='color:blue'></span>Thanks for the tips; I'll have some free time on my hands later today.

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'></span><span style='color:blue'></span>Thanks to all for the helpful tips. It's done, and it took me about an hour. The inner stator bolts were a ?@!#& to get off. The bike has been sitting for a while, and it was on the rear stand. I only lost about 3-4 drops of oil. Started it back up and let it run for a while: no leaks!

I just love it when I save a few bucks by doing things myself! The local bike shop probably would have charged me $150 in labor.

lurk.gif
no pics
rock.gif

I hate paying outrageous prices too. Some of these guys do it all. Wished I could.
beerchug.gif

DIY is the way to go. If you have enough common sense and skill to ride a bike, you probably have the skill it takes to work on it, too. I'm sure there are exceptions and if you make a mistake, you can really fug things up. Start learning a little at a time and you'll be able to do all your own work in short order.

--Wag--

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'></span><span style='color:blue'></span>I agree; DIY is the best. I'm pretty handy when it comes to most jobs (whether in the garage or around the house). I've done all of the work on my bike myself, with the exception of mounting and balancing the wheels. I just like to ask questions before hand so I know what I'm up against.

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'></span><span style='color:blue'></span>I'm almost finished with all of the mods. The bike should be done in about two weeks; waiting for my dash panels to return from the paint shop. I promise to post pics once it's all back together.

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'></span><span style='color:blue'></span>I'm sure you don't want to see the frame and guts of the bike. It's pretty stripped down. I'll be putting on the rest of the chrome this weekend, and then the panels next weekend. Then, I promise pictures.

I'll posts what ever Pics i have of mine... its a 1k,basically the same....process.

Place lock-tite on 3 bolts holding stator.... to cover.
place rtv on engine halves/seams and at rubber plug w/wires exiting cover.

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

Back