Starter(ing) Problems  Education needed ASAP

nother

gear.jpg

Something tells me I am not looking in the right area for the clunck....Everything looks ok... Do I need to pull the other cover off too?

It funny I am reading this!!! Everyone here is talking about upgrading to an 03 starter and I just had mine go out in my bike and I only had 7000 miles on it?

The starter clutch J Cheese is talking about--is bolted to the end of the crankshaft...you must remove the entire cover to get to it. [no big deal] whats happening is the starter clutch slips and grabs slips and grabs...I got mine replaced under warranty. But thats just one problem of two!!! The gear breakage issue happens when the engine back kicks while starting..no throttle on was said..do that...and get the Ti sleeve and the heavy duty battery and we should be fine. I need both of the last items mentioned too...
rock.gif

Awesome....Thanks for the info....Let me ask you this then, when I pull the other cover off ( I would assume this is the cover just below and to the side of the starter cover) would I visually be able to see a defect?

The Bulletin you is Suzuki December 12, 2002. There have been several write up on it on the board. I wrote one of them based on my experience with Suzuki. Take it to another dealer and mention the THIS service bulletin and Suzuki will most likely replace it for you as well as cover any damage associated with it. If you pull it apart on your own you are going top be on your own..

Take it to another dealer or find a copy of the actual bulletin on this board and take it in and show the service manager. $0.02

ok im new to this board but i know your problem!!! there is the one cover that you already remove then there a cover under it and to the left it looks like the number 8 you have to remove a hand full of 8 mm bolts then the cover will come off under it the the starter clutch gear you have to remove it with a 14mm i think throw it away thats whats bad even if you can see it when u try and start the motor it slips you can upgrade to the newer on but i think you have to upgreade everything!! and make sure you get the right parts as i didnt on one of my busa's! there is a gear in the middle i will call the middle gear make sure there are no cracks in the cases and when the starter gear slips the motor kicks back and the part where the middle gears pin sets will crack!! (i have had this happen 2 time on different bikes) as long as theres nothign cracked i would replce the starter clutch gear with a new one dont get used crap like me and then it fail again an bust your cases and if theres no cracks it would be wise to get the snitz cases saver which goes where that middle gear pin sets and that helps protect your cases also i would say you really need to upgrade to the best and biggest bat you can find and maybe even think about having 2 batterys on your bike as i know people with stock motors that this has happened to and we all upgrade to 2 bats i pray for you that the cases are not cracked. When they do the middle gears pin will not set right. and which it will not allow the bike to turn over as the gears will be offset. If the cases are cracked then you can have them welded! 3 shops told me no but i had a welding shop do it anyway it cost $30 as to what the other shops wanted to change my cases ($1000-up) what ever you do dont ride the bike or try and start it till you upgrade the battery and get a new starter clutch gear as you dont want the cases to break. NEVER TRY AND START A BUSA WHEN THE BATTERY IS LOW once you replace the starter clutch gear get the case saver and upgrade the battery and you should be ok as long as the cases are in good shape

Just updating an old thread.
Starting got worst and worst until all I would get was clicking. I ordered from Schintz (sp?) the case protector and the starter clutch. 190 some odd dollars for both. Took the fairing off and had the whole setup installed in about an hour. Started on the first crank with no problems. Probably be replacing the bat in the near future for a Yuasa 14 instead of the brand new 12 I have.

Starter clutch.... All else was in great shape. Did a could little tweaks (aka free mods to make the starter fit a little better in the case, but everything was very minimal. Hardest part was getting the fairing off.

Back