Start up Problem revisited

BusaBill03

Registered
I just put in NEW batt, rectifier, stator & starter. Before this, Busa started fine & revved great for a minute bfr bogging & die. Stator was FRIED. I replaced above parts. Starter had a dead spot so I replaced that also. Full disc: I bot a used denso 3100-24f10 from '07 Busa shaft is 10mm longer. I had machine shop cut it to spec.
The bike tries to start then 'clicks' as you'll hear in video. It dod this at end of old starter life before replacing today.

Brand new battery, stator & rectifier. Used (but tested fine) starter which it did this before I replaced it. Starter seemed to have a dead spot getting worse & reason for swap. Is it push start able? What should I test?

Last edited:
Buy a tiny scooter battery and make it 24 volt start

she'll crank then
But it does sound like the starter if the battery is fully charged and new
I'm gonna get a voltmeter tmrw. Does this sound right: I but a brand new duralast gold in when I put stator & rectifier in. I tried ignition like it did in video 4-5x's. I plugged it tender & it was 'red' 2hrs, green blink (80%) 2hrs bfr going straight green.
Today I tried starting again 4-5x's like video & 1st try it WANTED to turn over before dying quick then I got what you heard. I plugged it in again. Red for 2.5hrs. Blinking green for past 1/2hr. Does this seem right? Battery has 9/22 tag so it was sitting on shelf for 4mnths. When I exchanged it last wk autozone wouldnt let me pay extra $20 for xt14 vs xt12 although they did before at same store (diff nasty personnel).

Dang man that’s tough luck.

Did you ever get the service manual? It will tell you what to check and in what order. It’s free to download.

Does this sound right: I but a brand new duralast gold in...

You may have the shop do a load test of the battery. Those are not reliable in catching bad batteries but it would be good news if it should fail.

Do you have a known good battery? Can you safely clamp a car battery to the terminals? I would remove the existing battery. You must make sure that jumper cables or such do not touch anything metal except the battery cables, and do not dare get the polarity wrong. Electricity is extremely dangerous so I hate to provide suggestions to someone I do not know, but you do sound quite handy.

My thoughts are to remove the spark plugs and assess the colour of them, normal? Fouled and dirty?
With plugs removed, crank engine with the starter, same problem? Or cranking fast and continuously without stopping?
Another idea is to bypass the starter relay by bridging the terminals on the relay, any change? You could even put the red jumper lead directly on the starter motor terminal, and the ground cable directly on the engine…. Any difference?
To me it sounds like a mechanical issue more so than an electrical fault, just saying.
But just keep testing testing testing.

Last edited:
My thoughts are to remove the spark plugs and assess the colour of them, normal? Fouled and dirty?
With plugs removed, crank engine with the starter, same problem? Or cranking fast and continuously without stopping?
Another idea is to bypass the starter relay by bridging the terminals on the relay, any change? You could even put the red jumper lead directly on the starter motor terminal, and the ground cable directly on the engine…. Any difference?
To me it sounds like a mechanical issue more so than an electrical fault, just saying.
But just keep testing testing testing.
Agreed. I’d almost go to say something is binding or running really tight

Dang man that’s tough luck.

Did you ever get the service manual? It will tell you what to check and in what order. It’s free to download.
Please shoot me service manual. I just put in new filter. Pic below of old. I have a prob starting tho.
I took started apart. 1 magnet in casing dislodged & fused to mag next to it. I replaced starter w/ used stock from '07 Busa. (Full disc: I had to swat shafts & cut '07 shaft dwn to 182mm. I cut @ 1/16"-1/32" too short). It spins free & fast when tested w/batt. But when installed & started it tries to crank for 1/10 sec bfr clicking sound. (I got video I'll upload aftr dinner).
I wonder if new used starter isn't up to snuff & immed dies under load/torque. I gotta research that.

20230210_111555.jpg

Last edited:
If the battery is charged then check all connections, most times when a starter clicks it’s the solenoid clicking. What happens is, there is enough voltage (12ish volts) to engage the solenoid but then the load of the solenoid coil draws the voltage down probably 7 or 8ish volts and the solenoid coil release and then the voltage goes back to 12ish and the solenoid re-engages again, this repeats over and over making the clicking noise. I hope this helps!

Also you need to put a dc volt meter directly on the battery terminals and hit the starter button and read the volts while holding the button, if the battery volts falls below 9 volts then the battery is bad. A good battery should maintain close to nominal voltage for a short time under load.

If the battery is charged then check all connections, most times when a starter clicks it’s the solenoid clicking. What happens is, there is enough voltage (12ish volts) to engage the solenoid but then the load of the solenoid coil draws the voltage down probably 7 or 8ish volts and the solenoid coil release and then the voltage goes back to 12ish and the solenoid re-engages again, this repeats over and over making the clicking noise. I hope this helps!

Also you need to put a dc volt meter directly on the battery terminals and hit the starter button and read the volts while holding the button, if the battery volts falls below 9 volts then the battery is bad. A good battery should maintain close to nominal voltage for a short time under load.

OMG. You may be right, duhh. I remember btwn T-giv & Xmas my main fuse kept blowing. Bike wld start fine 1,2 or 3x's then 30A main would pop or even cont glowing aftr I shut off. I found a wire or 2 &

Apologies for the delay.
@DougE

why don´t you link it here to the org like here
for ´99-´02 Hayabusa not charging | Busa problems
or
for ´08-´09 (technically usable till ´12) Free Suzuki GSX R 1300 Hayabusa K8 K12 workshop service manual!

guess that would be a max useful posting ;)

In this thread:

Or if you have a Gen 1:

Back