Speedometer

GSXRFANN

FLUNKIE
Donating Member
Registered
Just curious to find out how far off the speedos really are. I mean I can be going down the road at say 40-50 and my speedo says 70. Can it be that far off?? That seems a little too far off. Can it be that bad??

I was tailing my wife the other day and asked her how fast she had been driving. She said 65 and 70 which is exactly what my speedo said. I think busas err more greatly the closer you get to the end of the scale.

My bike has less than 100 miles on it and stands at 5% high by my GPS. 2.5 low at 50 and 5 low at 100.

Lot of people have told me that the error isin the range of about 8%. But I dont know for sure... as I have never checked it myself

If your bike is stock the speedo will not have that much error. If it bugs you, you can buy a speedo healer. Or if you want the exact speed, go GPS.

Mine shows about 5 mph fast between 45 and 60. I guess it gets progressively worse as the speed goes up.

Yesterday I was coming into a work zone with a radar sign. 45 down to 30, the speedo was right on.

mine was about 10% off to the fast side. I was going slower then I thought.

If your bike is stock the speedo will not have that much error. If it bugs you, you can buy a speedo healer. Or if you want the exact speed, go GPS.
rock.gif

plz.....the factory setup is what got all of this started.
Out of the crate....expect 7% to 9% variance

I have done the same install (sppedo healer) on 3 buddies Busas...they all had nearly the same amount of error.
mine was the highest with 9.20% !

the speedo healer will make the adjustment needed when programmed.
and there is no need for a GPS once this has been set.

As mentioned gearing changes will affect your speedo as well as any changes in rear tire size on your bike....
BTW....any aftermarket tires on the girlfreind's car or rims....or the car's own error has to fit into the formula too. You need an independant measurement, not subject to the same conditions you are. Know any police in your area?
radar or GPS....best ways to get a "reading".

there are MANY threads and "how to" postings to help you out...use the search.
g/l with it.

Back