speedometer erratic???

mike04busa

Registered
Whats up, riding my 04 the speedometer bounces around at cruiseing speed. It will go from 50 to 80+ sometimes wondering if anybody had any thoughts. Hopefully i will be able to do the spedo healer soon also. Thanks

Is it just the speedometer or all of your gauges? Might want to check and see that the connector on the back side of the gauges is in tihgt, also, just look at the sensor on your front sprocket cover - there is a single bolt holding it on... make sure it isn't loose... (not directly for the speedo, but just in case)...

Your speed rotor may be loose or have gunk on it. It's located on the end of the front sprocket shaft.

Replace your speed sensor, it located on the sprocket cover. Mine went bad also.
beerchug.gif

The part number is 34990-35F00, and runs around $61.00

Drive it as fast as you can and bury the needle. Then it won't fluctuate any more.

biggrin.gif

--Wag--

(GIXERHP @ May 04 2007,10
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
) Replace your speed sensor, it located on the sprocket cover. Mine went bad also.
beerchug.gif

OR, sounds like it's time for an O7  
jump9.gif

(DaCol. @ May 04 2007,15:53)
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
) Replace your speed sensor, it located on the sprocket cover. Mine went bad also.
beerchug.gif

jump9.gif
...or hold out for an '08!
poke.gif

did you change plugs? Non resistor plugs will make the guages do the same thing as will the bolt backing out of the front sprocket.

Prolly just a bad sensor (or the bolts holding in in place are loose)...but take your sprocket cover off...if you have NEVER cleaned the gunk out in there it could just be REALLY caked on dirty with chain lube & dirt.

(omslaw @ May 04 2007,17:08)
(DaCol. @ May 04 2007,15:53)
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
beerchug.gif

jump9.gif
...or hold out for an '08!  
poke.gif
Thanks, as  for the 07 still have to pay for this one, my girl put the money for both our bikes(very thankful). only put 500mi on it since  I put it togeher from salvage,no hid, put new stock plugs.I'll get a new speed sensor and clean it under the sprocket cover. Not going to bury the spedo yet, rember it's my first street bike.Thanks for the help!!!
newbie.gif

(MC MUSTANG @ May 04 2007,13:22) Is it just the speedometer or all of your gauges?  Might want to check and see that the connector on the back side of the gauges is in tihgt, also, just look at the sensor on your front sprocket cover - there is a single bolt holding it on... make sure it isn't loose... (not directly for the speedo, but just in case)...
Just the speedo.

(mike04busa @ May 05 2007,17:40)
(MC MUSTANG @ May 04 2007,13:22) Is it just the speedometer or all of your gauges?  Might want to check and see that the connector on the back side of the gauges is in tihgt, also, just look at the sensor on your front sprocket cover - there is a single bolt holding it on... make sure it isn't loose... (not directly for the speedo, but just in case)...
Just the speedo.
Yep - with all of your explaination - money says it is the sensor...

I'd clean the one in there first, just my $.02 I actually had the same issue, just the speedo bouncing around a bit, then as I paid more attn: to it, it was only when cold, once the Busa warmed up it stopped. Later, it started doing it more often...cleaned the sensor when I swapped in a billet front sprocket cover and hasn't done it since. G/L with it.

Charlie

Well i installed the new speed sensor, cleaned all the road gunk and chain lube out of the cover and BAM!!! my speedo works mint. Thanks for the input. While  i was there I took the liberty to fix my second gear problem too. 4 gears on the output shaft, 1 shift fork a bunch orf gear bushings, a few clips, 1 complete gasket set from suzuki (witch does not come with everything, ie clutch pushrod seal,output shaft seal, copper sealing washers for main bearing bolts) and don't forget suzuki bond for the lower case. And you could take the lower half or the case off without taking apart the whole eng. Bike shifts like new and second gear pulls are very fun now. Thanks again for the input on the speedo and ride safe.  
beerchug.gif

Back