Southern Florida folks..

pure_ego

enzyme of hypoverbage
Donating Member
Registered
Me, and the wife were discussing vacation possibilities yesterday and we are both pretty interested in visiting FLA..

no so much disney land and all that jazz.. we have a 16mo. old.. don't think she would be much interested in that just yet.. In the words of Robin Williams..

"Mickey Mouse to a three year old.. this will be great! BULLSHIRT!, Mickey mouse to a three year old is a 6 foot furking rat!"

haha. I once dated a girl that lived in New Smyrna, FL. She, and her family all raved about going to the Florida Keys, so we were considering visiting there.

I'd just like some of your Keys veterans to tell me what you think about it, if you enjoyed it, what time of year you went.. ect. ect.

How long did ya' stay.. any definate places to avoid.. go to..

the usual type stuff..

I figure I see about 8billion florida tags in my area during the summer so i thought I would return the favor by invading them for once.. haha

My husband and I have vacationed in the Keys probably a dozen times; we were even married down there, on a boat in the Gulf at sunset...with tourists aboard!  
smile.gif

We used to stay at the Ocean Key House Resort and Marina, and the very end of Duval (Sunset Pier and Mallory Square are right out your back door).  It was a wonderful hotel, but it's gone way up in price over the years (we used to pay about $100/night, and it's upwards of $400/night now)...

So, we've done a few different things in recent years when touring the keys...we rented an island off of Marathon Key called Seabird Key. It's a 10 acre island you get all to yourself. No road to it; you park on the mainland, the manager boats you over, and the boat is yours for the week...the island is beyond description! It's just amazing, beautifully landscaped, nice open air home, walkways and paths winding through the woods to your very own white sand beach...hammocks included...
cool.gif

Then, we opted for renting a house in Key West in 2003. We split the cost with two other couples and found a house that sleeps 6, close to Duval street, yet quietly away from the hustle of Duval...it was a great experience...the home had it's own pool, fully furnished...we just went shopping for groceries and hit Duval every night...the house we rented was pink (kind of funny), but hey, there's a lot of pink in Florida! We stayed at the William Skelton House at 517 Eaton Street...the site is down right now, but I can get you some contact info if you'd like...

If you're going to take your child, I'd opt for a place of your own over a hotel room...lots of space, maybe a yard, pool, etc...it's worth the money to stay somewhere you can do kind of what you want...

I'm currently trying to book Seabird Key again, for a family vacation...it will be our first with our boys...should be fun!
smile.gif

Good luck...

smile.gif

Back