Orlando at christmas

bladebusa

Registered
Hi guys
Only my 2nd post so be gentle.
I'm coming over from England to Orlando for 10 days at Christmas 22nd Dec-31st from my home in England to do the whole "Disney thing" with my extended family.
I'm actually hiring a car for me and Dad to go off and do some "Male bonding" while the kids go and see Mickey Mouse and all that stuff. I've been to the US a few times now but never to Florida.
I wondered if there's any must see's in the area as I know a few of you are in that area of the states. I've never been to a dragrace, nascar race or an NBA game so i'm up for any suggestions.  Any advice welcome,
Cheers, Adz  
beerchug.gif

'ello mate. Glad to have you on board.
The Fla. boyz will be along smartly to answer yer questions.
I just wanted to welcome you in,and pour you one...
drink.gif

I dig that sig by the way
biggrin.gif

"I told you I was ill"

(The Inscription on Spike Milligan's gravestone.)

Enjoy the place. RSD.

Pleasure Island in Downtown Disney is a cool place to grab a drink
Linky

Ybor city is not far away, thats my recomendation if you want to get out of Orlando. <a href="http://yp.tbo.com/bin/cgidir.dll?PR=109&ST=1&LNK=43:16&CID=1566&MEM=1232&CU=night+club&T=Ybor+City&S=FL&QV=730BD9E78F3F438FBD9CAA7B2FB0C0D0l029CD99706EBB44408303203O019CD69706EBB4440A303203O079CD79

706EBB44417303203O039C2F3D06EBB444A9303203&QR=1&QX=1" target="_blank">Linky to the clubs there</a>

Dare I mention the gentlemens clubs
bowdown.gif

Try this event site, I use them when I travel Link

I'm curious to see what the locals offer up
rock.gif

Welcome to the .org

<!--EDIT|heavybusa
Reason for Edit: "forgot something"|1153236003 -->

Well the space center is about an hour and a half away.. Kennedy Space Center

Daytona Speedway is an hour away..
Looks like they have go-kart racing that weekend
Daytona

Fantacy of Flight is about 30 mins away..if you like planes. Never been, but it's somewhere I'd like to go.
Fantasy of Flight

It's difficult thinking of things to do when you're a native...  
But there's a start for ya.

<!--EDIT|LadyHawk
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153238188 -->

It's Florida Man, It's Hot-N-Shiddy and Full of Floridians. STAY IN DISNEY, Live the Fantasy, cause Florida kinda blows...
smile.gif

Killer Strip Clubs in the Tampa Area though, Lots of nice people too...

Oh and Welcome...

Thanks for the advice guys.
I reckon i'll go to the kennedy Space Centre as well as try to see a drag-race.
I'm gonna do the disney thing with my wife and 3 year old boy but I just wanted to see some big powerful cars and bikes as well as i'm a real petrolhead. Hydrabusa, i've already posted pics in the new member forum on my 1st post.
Cheers to you all and all the best
biggrin.gif

Adz

The Keys man the Keys! Unless it is Huricane season I would head out to Key west just to say ya been there. I forget which one Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville is on but I intned to get down there someday. Then there is Saint Augustine! How many times do you get to see the fountian of youth?

Oh and welcome!

Thanks for the advice guys.
I reckon i'll go to the kennedy Space Centre as well as try to see a drag-race.
I'm gonna do the disney thing with my wife and 3 year old boy but I just wanted to see some big powerful cars and bikes as well as i'm a real petrolhead. Hydrabusa, i've already posted pics in the new member forum on my 1st post.
Cheers to you all and all the best  
biggrin.gif

Adz
Don't listen to Rev, well you can listen if you want but I disagree a little bit. There are parts of Florida that are enjoyable if you know where to find them. I am less than 45 minutes away from the Disney parks and the Fantasy of flight is just up the road from me. Keep in touch as the time draws nearer and I may be able to find you a small town local festival or something it that sounds interesting.

Where are you in the UK? I'm scheduled to be going through London in September.

Kevin

Maybe one of the FLA boyz will stop dancing and just offer up some ol' fashioned hospitality.

Show them around...home cooked meal...phone numbers if they need help...

Come to Canada...we have good manners.
biggrin.gif

ace.gif

Orlando has a drag strip that is usually a pretty good thing to watch on Sat nights. Leave Disney and take I-4 east to the East West Expressway ( Hwy 408 East) I forget the name of the exit but it is the first exit past Alafaya Trail. Take the exit and turn right. The dragstrip will be down the road about 15 minutes on the right.
Kennedy Space Center. Take I-4 east to hwy 528 (called the Bee Line ). Follow that road for 45 minutes and then look start looking for the signs to take you the rest of the way.
Universal Studios has two parks within a 10 minute drive from Disney as well. One is Movie themed and the other is Roller Coaster themed. Between the two there are a lot of specialty shops and restaurants. I think Emiril has an eatery there. You'd wanna make reservations now if you want to eat there.
Since you like Racing, International Drive has a restaurant called Race Rock. You'll see it from I-4 by the Monstertruck Bigfoot and three nascar vehicles bolted to the friggin building. Inside you'll find Funny cars, formula 1 cars and other assorted Race vehicles on display in the dining room. They also have a supercharged engine that has been transformed into a glass top table for sale. The first $15,000. takes it home... Food is actually pretty good and for Orlando not priced too terribly high.
Water parks will be closed. they shut them down once the outside air hits 70 degrees and lower.
Downtown Disney is expensive to me but have also had many a headache generated there! TONS of shopping available outside thw downown disney drinking area that does not require admission.
Best place to see magic Kingdom fireworks is at the California Grill on the top floor of the Contemporary Resort Hotel. Trust me, You'll love it!
Saturday nights 5 minutes from Disney on hwy 192 is a place called old town. tehy have a drive in and car show every saturday night starting at 5 going until 8 when they start them all up and drive them down the road in a single file line. usually 200 + cars present. The YOUNGEST car there is 30 years old. You'll see everything from 1000+ hp Pro Street Hot Rods to 1935 Caddy's Completely free of charge. walk around and talk to the owners. I've even seen a couple mini's there so you could feel a home for a bit!
Been going to Disney since they opened in 71 here in Florida. If you wanna know something gimme a shout and I'll be happy to help as best as i can. You won't have enough time to see it all but you'll see enough and do enough to empty your wallet and drain your energy level!

Cheers guys.
To be honest it freaked me out when I first went to the States and Canada, everyone seemed to be really over the top friendly and helpful I thought it was really false.
It didn't take long to realise most people are genuinely friendly, us Brits just aren't used to that sort of thing.

Rubbersidedown I went to Canada... and loved it.

Relsek, I'm from London, then Wiltshire(near stonehenge) but now I live near Derby and I work in Bournemouth. (I get around)

Back