Some thoughts on motorcycle culture

FLCN72

Registered
I've been thinking about motorcycle culture a little bit recently.  With all the TV shows and increased public awareness, bikes and bikers have certainly been approaching the mainstream in the last few years.  

One of the most profitable companies in America is Harley-Davidson these days.  Riding is a popular and increasingly acceptable way to spend a weekend (or a paycheck.)  And with all the charity rides and good public relations, it is getting so that you really can meet the nicest people on a Harley-Davidson.   Wind in the hair and through the fringe of leather chaps on Sunday.  Responsible parent and coworker on every other day.

All of which seems to fly in the face of the rebel attitude and culture that used to be associated with motorcycles and especially Harleys.  How many motorcycle purchases were inspired by the image of James Dean or Marlon Brando sporting black leathers and an anti-social attitude?  How many riders are trying create a sense that they are part of a devil-may-care lifestyle -- young, angry, and out of control?

This lifestyle image is rapidly becoming just that, an image.  One that is purchased almost like buying a membership to a country club and for some of the same reasons.  So common is this trend that it has even coined a term: RUB or Rich Urban Biker.  Doesn't exactly have the same ring or dangerous connotation as Hell's Angel, does it?  But the ever growing popularity and social acceptance of motorcycling is fueled by its mainstream participants.  They might be trying to buy an anti-social image, but the most anti-social thing they are likely to do with it is mount some loud pipes on that Hog.

Of course there is a segment of bikers that remains a target of rebel labels and bad press.  The sight of their bikes or clothes will immediately single them out as hooligans, punks, and dangerous people.  Oh, they aren't likely to take over a town and terrorize the locals.  But they do ride the twisty roads like each was built for their own personal enjoyment, drag race on city streets, dart in and out of traffic at frightening speeds, and generally ride as though traffic laws don't apply to them.  They can be seen on only one of their two wheels with regularity, as often the front wheel as the rear.  When Americans rally around the slogan, "Buy American," these bikers buy foreign (usually Japanese.)  Their bikes and attitudes are as colorful as they are loud.  They are sport bikers.

Or at least that is a common perception of sport bikers.  And it is often undeserved.  Yet it is an image automatically assigned to those riding plastic covered, pseudo race machines.  In much the same way as the Hell's Angel image used to be assigned to those on cruisers.  But unlike our cruiser brethren, we don't generally enjoy the good press of charity rides and TV shows.  So our image and reputation have become the dumping grounds for much of the anti-social expectations other people have of motorcyclists.  

Of course some of that negative perception is deserved.  And because of that, sport bikers sometimes have to explain to people that although some of us do dangerous things on public streets, we don't all do it.  I wonder if the early mainstream Harley guys had to explain to people that they weren't Hell's Angels; that they just liked to ride?  I wonder if some part of them liked the fact that they had to make that clarification once in a while?

As a sport bike rider, I'll admit I do sometimes like that I am automatically labeled a dangerous hooligan by some people.  I like tapping into that bit of anti-social image that accompanies being seen on a sport bike.  And truthfully, some of that prejudice does accurately apply to me.  And to some other riders, it applies even more accurately.  Many of us are rebels who refuse to force-fit ourselves into mainstream society.  Our bikes and our attitudes become outward signs of the potential to break traffic laws and the willingness to enjoy it.  Because of that we do get bad press and we do have a public relations image problem with the rest of society.

As Harley and cruiser riders approach the mainstream, we are either purposely or accidentally not joining them.  We are becoming the inheritors of the bad-biker lifestyle.  We are the rebels with the devil-may-care attitude.  Well... not all of us, of course.  But that is the perception, whether it fits the individual or not.  And maybe that is why some cruiser riders don't wave to us.  They have become so mainstream that they are The Man.  And The Man doesn't approve of us.

<!--EDIT|FLCN72
Reason for Edit: "spelling"|1078269483 -->

Didn't really think of it that way but when I think of a guy showing up to pick up my 17 year old daughter I'd feel safer if the guy rode a Harley. Let the rants begin.  
wink.gif

Didn't really think of it that way but when I think of a guy showing up to pick up my 17 year old daughter I'd feel safer if the guy rode a Harley. Let the rants begin.  
wink.gif
No I can understand that, I myself would a lot rather have your daughter on the back of a Harley as well!!!  
wow.gif

No really your comment makes sense, I mean what could be safer than an over rated, underpowered, 700lb chunk of Detroit Iron rattling along at 55MPH, without any real brakes, suspension, or handling ability....  Makes alot of sense...  
laugh.gif

OK OK, Seriously when we are talking sport bikes and a young daughter I would definitly NOT want mine on the back of a sport bike ridden by some Testosterone fueled 18 year old hammer head...  But then again, I think sending your daughter out the door with some "image" biker on a Harley would be just as dangerous, I mean how can you trust him.  If he's on a Harley he's prolly at least 30 or so, and that right there would be a problem with me... OR...More likely he stole the Harley from Daddy's garage, and now you gotta go downtown and pick your Daughter up at the Mountie Office at 2 A.M. cause he got himself arrested...

Man Kids these days...  You know they just do not have the respect for authority I did when I was young... OK bad example maybe...  I think you should prolly ground your daughter though, she's too young to be out running with a biker crowd.  Best to get her settled into a Nice Volvo Station Wagon and then SHE gets to drive on the date...  Problem solved.  Then while that Harley is sitting in your driveway you can call the punks Dad so he can come reclaim his pride and joy.  
thumbs-up.gif

Everyone wins. Now aren't you glad you got me here to take of these little problems....

Rev

FLCN, You have a good point, I'll get back to it in a moment...

Very insightful FLCN...it's so funny that a symbol of true freedom and rebellion now offers up very much the opposite...fueled mainly by an image that many Harley riders feel they want to emmulate.

Do I think they've sold out?  Sometimes I do...when I bought my Harley, I was thrilled to be part of that crew, I'll admit...I did the ritualistic "buy everything H-D" if you can afford it, but don't worry so much about the safety aspect of your newly found sport...just look good and others will envy you...yeah, and you're a rebel because you didn't waste your time on a Honda or Yamaha...you bought a Harley!  That's exactly how I felt at times...then I woke up and realized that for all I loved about that image (mostly the people), it didn't fit...I did feel like I sold out...lost my mind and all sense of common sense, and bought a Busa... (that's a joke guys)

Funny thing is that I never even paid attention to those bad boy sport bikers...sure, I'd be riding my little yellow Harley and maybe even wave to the poor saps, but deep down I just thought "poor guys...bet they want Harleys"...it's almost a brain-washing that HOG owners go through...right or wrong, you become a part of that big family so quickly, and there are so many good guys/gals involved in groups and chapters, clubs and charities...hell, when you buy a Harley, good old Willie G narrates a video welcoming you to the family!  How can you not be thrilled to be in that group?!  You sit there in front of your TV just wishing and hoping you'll make it to Sturgis and Daytona to be a part of that crowd...

Bottom line though...it is a bit of a sell out for many...NOT all, but many do get that proverbial Harley and shun all things not, and they only add to that sport biker image because we're looked down upon for not, what?  Having similar tastes?  Being able to afford the best Harley off the line?  For not wearing all things Harley?  Not really sure where that irritating rub comes from because I've been on both sides, and I can say without a doubt that having both has shown me that I appreciate all people that ride...no matter what they ride...

If I never bought the Busa, I'd probably still be feeling sorry for all of the pathetic sport bikers...you damn rebels!
biggrin.gif

Got to hand it to H-D though, they've found a much more lucrative nitch than the rebels ever offered them...they targeted people with money...how the sport bikers became rebels is simply a product of majority vs. minority...Harleys probably outnumber all sport bikes put together...it's got to be a numbers game...

Now, about your daughters dating a biker?  Well, I'm raising two rebellious boys in my home, destined to be bikers no matter what...I'll try to raise 'em right so your girls will be safe...now, the question is "which one will be on the Harley, and which one will be riding the rocket?!"  
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Boy I sure don't have time to type all I'd like to, but...

My little girl (she just turned 18 on 2/20) has been riding motorcycles since she was 5. If my daughter ever went out with a guy on a crotch rocket, she damn well better be the one driving it!
cool.gif

As for the other bike...

Hardlehehehe!
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I want to wear Sasoon jeans too!
laugh.gif

See, now you got me all riled up!
The lead man in the shop where I work (part time) named his son "Harley". Yes, his last name is Davidson. He is the biggest HOG freak I have ever met. busts my chops incessently about riding Suzie. When I bought her he said, "That bike's got no style, you should have got a Harley. How you going to pick up chicks?"

I didn't buy a bike to be in "style". I bought a bike to ride. I was looking for the best performance, not to impress women (or chicks, or babes or b!tches as some Harley riders refer to them
sad.gif
)

I think this attitude is unfourtunate and very prevelent in the purchase of a HD. If we took the label off and just presented the general public with the performance statistics fo ALL motorcycles, I think that the American bike manufacturers would have a bunch of catching up to do.

I feel bad syaing this because I fully support the American Manufacturing industry (1997 Saturn, 1981 Malibu, 1974 chevy PU, 1971 Chevelle). But when people ask me, "why didn't you buy an American bike?" I tell them that I will when they make something that performs as well and is as inexpensive as their competitors.

I won't buy a bike just to have a label on my a$$.

tounge.gif
 Must be because I'm old but I ride both Harley and Busa and haven't had to back off from friends on either side of the fence. I've been on a bike since I was 13 years old and have run the gamet from West to East and North to South on bike brands. Makes no difference to me. I ride because I love to. And all the people who know me realize that; no matter what is between my legs at the time.

<!--EDIT|flrider
Reason for Edit: ";"|1078267514 -->

Some people just like American products, including the Japanese who pay big dollars for Hogs. But lets not confuse the only other bike besides Sportbikes being Harley, how about customs?
rock.gif
Isn't that the rage of all of these shows, owning something American that's unique and not Harley? Who really gives a crap what you ride, if someone has general stereotypes they apply to bikers, they probably do so with other things in their life as well. Changing your image won't change that for them.  
wink.gif
Sturgis last year was a blast!
smile.gif
Myself and another Fire Fighter went with my $65,000 custom paired with his Triumph, and nobody gave a poop!

never really been labeled...only once or twice. General opinion seems to be that if you own a bike, you want to be different. At least that's how it is here. I really dislike being labeled as dangerous....but we all know that we push the envelope sometimes. I guess that's what makes us look like rebels in other people's eyes.

i would have a garage the size of jay lenos if i had the money ,all kinds of bikes. the busa would prolly still be my favorite, a harley sure maybe a nos injected v-rod. if it looks cool and has power lemme at it. those that label a person by the amount of plastic on his or her bike can suck my exhaust. some people bash what thier afraid of.

The guys at the Harley dealer where I used to live really liked the 'busa....people who know BIKES know the busa is one bad mutha....however, most new Harley owners DON'T know bikes, they only know the one they just bought to be the envy of the office. I still remember the day I rode up and parked in front of the shop...a few young harley guys gave me a funny look as I walked in...then the sales guy pipes up from behind his desk and says "easy boys...you want 'nothin to do with that thing....he can outrun ya without ever using 3rd gear!" I never have gotten any flack from the cruiser crowd...I wave at everyone and talk to everyone on any bike..and I look like a harley guy anyway....I may even buy one someday....
Just my .02...
TBone

Many dont understatnd the sport bike.This includes many who ride them.Harleys allow people to get out and ride having fun and meeting other people who are like minded.Many of the sport bikers i have known and seen,feel there is something to prove to the people around them(my self included for many years).They should just worry about enjoying them selves in a resonable mannor.When needing to prove something to themselves or anyone else.Take it were it can all be postive,track days club racing as well as stunt contests.These all offer positive experiences.Being linked to an attitude or percieved actions because of being a morocyclist has always bugged me.Riding for the sake of riding no bad boy or tough guy crap.There is a faction out there however that seem to enjoy this,thier bike of choice although would be more likely to keep them out of harms way,fewer challenges from other riders and so on.Owning thier best for 1 season was all i could take.You would never touch down a knee but boy could you scrape up the underside just by thinking lean angle.Grew up dirt racing and always thought of it as a sport.Not an attitude(negative) not a tough guy thing but as a fun way to compete and grow developing further when possible.Having fun with like minded people and making new friends along the way.The main stream riding spoken of allows many to feel like a bad boy while remaing relativly safe.This is'nt here to offend anyone just one persons perception.

<!--EDIT|SHODA
Reason for Edit: None given...|1078363330 -->

hmm... kick em in the whoo haa I say..

haha, actually i laugh at about every harley I see going down the road... as I'm sure they laugh at me... but what the hay.. I wanted to go fast and try to scrap the pegs.. not cruise around and pick up chics so I'm happy!.. even though I know the busa is capable of pickign up A+ ass even when it's not trying.. (IE.. not making all kinds of noise around drunken redneck women)

I do have a friend that sold a TL1000 and moved a harley .. uhh. somethign or other. I know he looked at the Vrod and passed because it didn't "look like a harley".. what the hell?? the most powerful bike the bobos have ever made and he passes cuz it doesn't look like the other turds?

anyway.. he moved to the Harley and he's always wasting money on HD tshirts and poop now... it's kinda like VAbusa said... it's like brainwashing... it's happening to him slowly... you can tell just the way he talks... instead of bikes being "bikes".. it's "harleys" and "other bikes" now...

Pretty Much, I have to agree with FLCN in the assertion that the SportBike crowd has by and large become the "Rebels" of our time.  

The folks that always wanted a Harley when they were growing up are the ones buying em' up now at their loony prices, because their kids have left the house, and finally they can try to get back to their "Rebel" times.  The problem is that they still don't get it, they seem to think that buying every Harley accessory will improve their "Tough Guy" look, or that just by buying the bike and parking it in the garage that they are now "Wild Ones".  Silly bastards, these are the Born agains that I am talking about.  Combine these with the RUBS and I kind of feel sorry for folks like flrider who have been living with a bike their whole lives.  I'll take heat off a guy for riding a foreign bike when he has an old Shovel head under him that is leaking a little oil, maybe some dirt under the fingernails, not a watch to be found on em' anywhere, you know real honest "Bikers".  

My problem really is with Harley in particular, it's their Hype and marketing that has pretty much ruined the whole Harley mystique.  If you can find an owner of a post Y2K Harley that will be honest with you, ask them about the quality of their bike.  Ask them seriously how many parts have just fallen off?  Sounds like I am being a bobo but it is a legitimate question.  I have witnessed parts just literally dropping off of two Harleys,  One while sitting still after a ride, the other while riding with him down the street.  Oh and ask VA about parts falling off of someone’s bike.  
smile.gif
  I think Harley is riding a wave right now that is going to come crashing down around their ears, which is too bad.  I think their increased production is effecting the quality they had been fighting for and has already eroded a large portion of the legendary resale value.  I really do wish that Buelle/Harley would get off their asses and really build a modern Sportbike, and a modern Standard.  They can keep building the tired ole' cruisers but damnit, how about something innovative, fresh?  And not the X12, what good is a totally modern chassis wrapped around a fossilized motor and tranny?  I still cannot believe that the only major US motorcycle company hasn't done anything other than the V-rod in the last few years...  But they even got that wrong... Have you seen a guy riding a V-rod??  They look goofy as hell, Harley seems to have gotten the seating position all wrong or something.....

Anyway, Rev has managed to freaking go off again…….  

One thing I have noticed though, and it's something that makes being on a Sport bike kinda rough is the squid factor... Not a whole lot of squidly behavior on Harley's... they just don't do that... I do get tired of watching some hammer head riding a wheelie in traffic, cutting people off, really riding as only a squid can... completely self absorbed... And from that point of view I can understand a lot of the attitude Sportbikes get from the cruiser crowd... Combine the witnessed sillyness, with an ignorance of sportbikes and their particular abilities and suddenly every sportbike going faster than the speed limit is the enemy...

I used to run into this a lot in the Rockies, The cruiser crowd out enjoying their "Attorneys" only monthly ride clogging the road.... You pass them all and stop to get lunch at the Mishiwaka Inn and when the "Cruiser Guys" show up they all want to flex their attitudes and blah blah blah...anyway, yeah I do get sick of the attitude but I try to treat each bike the same....

Later All!!!

As for $65K Customs… Are you nuts?
rock.gif
 You gotta post pics of this thing Justintime…. obviously your proud of paying $65K for a Bike so lets see it man...  It's gotta be pretty schweet....

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1078367840 -->

Funny thing is that I never even paid attention to those bad boy sport bikers...sure, I'd be riding my little yellow Harley and maybe even wave to the poor saps, but deep down I just thought "poor guys...bet they want Harleys"...
hahaha sorry i couldnt help but laugh
laugh.gif

me, I used to own a hardly when I was 17, a friggen AMF 1200 lowrider, sure I did chicks on it. litterally :-) but I couldnt get it to go fast and I scraped the pegs too much, that and the fact the battery terminal kept melting off I scrapped it for a CB400 SS, now that baby could fly 130 mph and no scrapey. right up my friggen alley!

seems no matter what I ride I want it to go as fast as it can, and sometimes thats not enough, but when I saw the busa on the floor in 99, after riding the 96 1100 for the summer I thought, this is the one that I wont be able to wring out, this is the only bike I will ever own again because it will always be fast enough it can corner hard, wheelie, everything! then suzuki had to go and produce the 1k...

guess I have a little bit of a cruising bone in me too cuz I find myself in the slow lane somethimes just cruisin along checkin things out, its all good to me, if I happen to be with cruisers I may check out for a bit just to get it out of my system, but I will join the pack eventually and cruise the tail too.

I' not sure I have to be concerned why or what anyone else decides to ride, I am just glad when they do....

Very good write Flcn...
Having been on both sides of the perverbial fence myself, I know exactly where you, and many of the replies, are coming from~ I was raised by a 1%er father~ I used to say I was born into the family~ One of the first street bikes I ever rode was a '69 FLH~ I grew up thinkin it was the bomb and that I would someday have it passed on down to me~ I never, personally owned one..nor did I wear the propaganda~ There was saying when I grew up.. "There are those that ride and those that wear the shirts"~ Since I didn't own one, I didn't wear the garb~ I can say there are a lot of good peeps in the HD family that would go outta their way to help out another in need~ As I got older and began to learn for myself, rather then the brain washing that was all around me~ I pretty much drifted apart from the HD community~
I can still remember the when..not the exact date, but the when~ It was sometime back in the 80's when I seen my first Ninja~ Something about it just tugged at my heart strings~ I hid this desire to own one from my Pop for years~ Then I rode a friends and that was it... I've been a 'sport biker' ever since~ When I got my first Kawi, my Pop wouldn't even let me park it in the yard~ Like I said..he was a 1%er hardcore HD man all the way~ I totally let him down when I switch sides.. as he would say~
I do find myself having some trouble with the whole 'sport biker image' thing a lot of times~ I enjoy doing the Charity Events myself and have a hell of a time talking my sport biking brethren to join in~ Mostly for the fact that "it's too slow of a ride"~ They don't even look at the good it does for the local community or the image of the sport bikers~ I do a local "Bunny Run" every Easter with the cruisers and talk a few more peeps into it every year~ Last year while registering for the event the HD guy behind the table even commented... " it's good to see more of the sport bikes getting involved"~ Made me feel good to hear him say so too!
Maybe it's just easier for me to do these events having grown up with 'em... I don't know~ I think a lot of the younger peeps getting into the sport bike scene are intimidated by the big burly bikers on the HDs~ I can tell you, though, many have told me before, "it's not what you ride, it's just that you do"~ Yes there are still some hardcore 1%ers out there that look down upon us for riding our 'crotch rockets' but F**k 'em in the neck if they don't like it~ I give every rider I pass on the street the brethren wave.. if I don't get a wave back it's usually followed with the one finger salute~ Of coarse I'm 6' and 210(mostly solid)lbs., so I don't just don't care if they want to turn around and give me a piece of their little mind~
wink.gif

Enough ramblin... gotta get some work done around here...

I guess the bike roles really are flipping sides. I've been riding since I was 9. In all those years I've been riding Jap bikes and thought Harleys were the tough guys. Remember the saying "you meet the nicest people on a Honda?" Anyways, I do get a bit tired of the fear/distrust look from mothers while riding (even in vehicles I pull up next to at traffic lights). However, many kids are very interested and I enjoy waving to them, despite their mothers! I try to be considerate to other cars and do my little part to control the image. Riding quick/fast shouldn't be synonymous with rude
smile.gif

P.S. If Harley would ever make a fast bike, I would consider it--bring it on!

Back