So you think your fast???

i thought I was fast until I saw a documentry on a sky dive who broke the spped of sound. 110,000 feet from a ballon about 15 years ago. Incredible..

i thought I was fast until I saw a documentry on a sky dive who broke the spped of sound.  110,000 feet from a ballon about 15 years ago.  Incredible..
It's been a long time since Psychics class but how is it possible a sky diver can break the speed of sound ? I thought the maximum falling velocity, (terminal velocity), of any object falling via gravity was a couple hundred miles and hour ?
rock.gif

I and the Mrs saw the finals on Sunday @ Infinion...Fram Autolite Nationals..
Just hearing the morning warm up's was worth the price of admission.....should'a
seen the folks jump...when one of the John Force team cars blipped the throttle..
twice..in a 3 to 4 minute period....words can't really descibe it...just awsome...
1st runs in the morning were TOP FUEL..has to be felt and heard to appreciate...
AND i mean FELT...just shook the concrete block wall we were leaning against.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

i thought I was fast until I saw a documentry on a sky dive who broke the spped of sound.  110,000 feet from a ballon about 15 years ago.  Incredible..
It's been a long time since Psychics class but how is it possible a sky diver can break the speed of sound ? I thought the maximum falling velocity, (terminal velocity), of any object falling via gravity was a couple hundred miles and hour ?
rock.gif
Max velocity is not the same in air that is 1/100th as thick.

U.S. Air Force Captain Joseph Kittinger. Although he did not break the speed of sound, he came close — nine-tenths the speed of sound at his altitude — a colossal 614 mph (990 km/hr). He dove 4.5 times faster than most skydivers who start at much lower altitudes where the air is thicker. He could do this by falling through almost no air: 1.5% of the density at sea level.

On Aug. 16, 1960, Kittinger set the world's record (which remains unbroken) for the longest (19.5 miles) and fastest (4 minutes and 36 seconds) skydive. He reported his experience in National Geographic.

His epic dive started from a helium balloon that he floated to an altitude of 102,800 feet (31,330 m). This high, the sky is black and the Sun intense.

Incredible but so ae som of the othr facts psted in this thread...

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092937017 -->

Great and informative read 2fast4u2c, but if my calculations are correct, you're off by more than just a little bit in saying
"You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race course."

I come up with if you were catching a green light at exactly the same moment and were doing 200 mph in the Lingenfelter, you would cover a steady 293.33 feet per second.  This is assuming you aren't accelerating any further than 200 mph.  At that rate, it would take the Vette 4.500 seconds to cover the 1,320 feet versus the 4.441 seconds that you'd quoted.  I would think that .059 seconds is not quite "nearly blasted off the road" as you said earlier.  I mean no disrespect, I love NHRA and everything fast. I also like accuracy and lack of eggageration.

Later,

Bob

'02 'Busa
Bone Stock

'02 Camaro SS
Waiting for warranty to go void to be supercharged

I love those facts or whatever they are. Still very impressive

<!--EDIT|loboboy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1095953317 -->

so our bikes arent fast
rock.gif

guess im going by me a pro dragster now

That is one COOL post!

Thanks for draggin' it back up!
cool.gif

Great and informative read 2fast4u2c, but if my calculations are correct, you're off by more than just a little bit in saying
"You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race course."

I come up with if you were catching a green light at exactly the same moment and were doing 200 mph in the Lingenfelter, you would cover a steady 293.33 feet per second.  This is assuming you aren't accelerating any further than 200 mph.  At that rate, it would take the Vette 4.500 seconds to cover the 1,320 feet versus the 4.441 seconds that you'd quoted.  I would think that .059 seconds is not quite "nearly blasted off the road" as you said earlier.  I mean no disrespect,  I love NHRA and everything fast.  I also like accuracy and lack of eggageration.

Later,

Bob

'02 'Busa
Bone Stock

'02 Camaro SS
Waiting for warranty to go void to be supercharged

I just wanted to point out that although the Dragster will just be passing the Vette, it will be doing it at over 100 mph faster. I do call that blowing someone off the road.

P.S. Sorry for dragging up and old post. (Didn't see the date)

<!--EDIT|ScreamingChicken
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133598404 -->

One cool a$$ post!!! too bad
sad.gif
my Dodge Charger's HEMI can't even turn the supercharger...

Back