So my sons 1st grade reading aide has a speech impediment.

I just remember the days when the parents had to help. Then there was nobody to blame.. :whistle:

The reason i do not agree with her being a teacher or assistant is because i am dyslexic and when i was in first grade i had a teacher who was supposed to be a magnet teacher and recognize learning disabilities in children. She had a bad studder and mistook my not being able to read as me having a studder because she had a similar problem. She removed me from the reading group 3 weeks into the school year because of my inability to read, well with 2 weeks left to go in the school year she told my parents she had removed me and i was going to be flunking 1st grade. She wound up losing her job because in 4 years she made this mistake with 3 different students (all with different learning disabilities). I was diagnosed with dyslexia and went through 3 months of tutoring and was able to read at a 5th grade level. I went on to become an honor student. So i personally have a thing against teachers with speech or learning disabilities because of it.

I'm a little lost as to why you are concerned. Is it that he cannot understand what the teacher is saying or is it that you feel his own speech will suffer?

I just remember the days when the parents had to help. Then there was nobody to blame.. :whistle:

Bots unfortunately in my situation that is difficult. My wife herself still has trouble with the English language and I work almost 70hrs a week. So neither of us really gets to help him much. The teachers there during school day should be able to teach him properly not totally but give good guidance. That's all.

I'm a little lost as to why you are concerned. Is it that he cannot understand what the teacher is saying or is it that you feel his own speech will suffer?

I was concerned in the beginning because yes she cannot speak properly or enunciate properly and I was worried his abilities may have suffered from it. But she only listens and he said he likes both her and his regular full time teacher. So as long as he's happy I am.

If they're not qualified, they probably shouldn't get the job. Just my humble opinion.

Precision shooting.jpg

Bots unfortunately in my situation that is difficult. My wife herself still has trouble with the English language and I work almost 70hrs a week.

70 Hours a week?? Married with a child in school and still has over seventeen thousand seven hundred post in 3 years an avg. Posts Per Day: 16.78
Must have a job to where ya have time to surf the web :dunno: Or is it married men stay on the PC when they are home to avoid there wives?

I was concerned in the beginning because yes she cannot speak properly or enunciate properly and I was worried his abilities may have suffered from it. But she only listens and he said he likes both her and his regular full time teacher. So as long as he's happy I am.

Well one thing you have to remember is that if she's speaking and teaching, as long as she is a good teacher and he can understand her, he wont pick up any 'bad' habits. The best things parents can do is have regular communication with their kids teachers and is always there if the kids have any questions. Some of the best teachers can have questionable faults like this, and some of the worst teacher you will never, ever know about. Just track the progress and keep your nose in things; I'm sure he'll do just fine.

its a problem everywhere, especially bad in the sections of the employment pool where you have unions and strict labor rules (govt, schools, etc) that prevents or prohibits employee termination or position changes without massive amounts of paperwork and process. My daughter's 2nd grade class teaching assistant had to go and look up answers to the math problems the kids were doing for homework. I was like do what?!?! Then she marked my daughter's math homework wrong one time because it varied from her answers....after careful review we determined that "when sally came home she had 8 apples. Her brother ate 2 of the apples and her mother ate 1 of the apples. How many apples did she have left?" She had 5 apples left. The teaching assistant marked it incorrect and wrote 6 as the correct answer. I had a very direct conversation with the school principle that went along the lines of "so when my child is correcting her teacher's 2nd grade math homework, we have a problem. Would you care to deal with it or should I perhaps ask the woman for clarity on her answer" The next day the class was changed around a little and the first grade assistant was now the 2nd grade one :laugh: Actually it wasn't funny, was sad but all I was told was "well what can we do". It wasn't an issue of anything more than apathy for the situation and a general attitude of "oh well" from the school administration. Sadly this is the case in many sections of our lives where customer service and service providers follow the Carlin plan to work. Do just enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit. Honestly if people had to work to keep their jobs and actually produce a measurable success I think we would have a vastly different unemployment rate and overall quality of work product.

Blanka,no wonder why so many children fail too graduate,no qualifications really needed for many teaching jobs,hope you find a new teacher for your son soon.

70 Hours a week?? Married with a child in school and still has over seventeen thousand seven hundred post in 3 years an avg. Posts Per Day: 16.78
Must have a job to where ya have time to surf the web :dunno: Or is it married men stay on the PC when they are home to avoid there wives?

16.78? I didn't realize I had come down from 21?
And the answer to your question is, both :)

Glad you got it worked out.

Don't get me started on some teachers and their qualifications to teach, I could have all you pulling your hair out with some of my stories with one of my daughters.:banghead: 90% of the teachers you come across will be great. Like anything else, the 10% are magnified.

They really dont need to read well any more anyway, as long as they can fill in the little circle.

Back